Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

EstebanLM
This is for Noury and Douai's team:

I was playing a bit with last version of rST, trying to make it work with 3.10 (I'm working with Damien Cassou's image) and i found that the unique problem is in the transmission of bytes (it was an error in serialization: WriteStream does not works with non-character elements).  Therefore, I changed SocketStream for FastSocketStream and everything works fine... all tests runs without error, and samples too.
Is it possible to put this change in SqueakSource?

Thanks,
Esteban

pd: Other possible change is by refactoring SocketStream to use RWBinaryOrTextStream instead WriteStream, but I think this is much more radical than modifying rST package...

On 4/17/07, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban,

We (Douai's team) maintain rST.
It runs without problems under Squeak 3.9.

Noury
Le 17 avr. 07 à 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

> Hi!
> I want to play a little bit with the whole "remote objects" idea...
> and i was making some research about the packages already done for
> Squeak, but i'm confused: there is a project "RemoteObjects" in
> squeaksource, but the documentation in wiki points to another
> project at http //squeak.saltypickle.com/RemoteObjects, and there
> is another package, rST, that explores the idea... and of course,
> Knigge project is there too.
> Which one is convenient to use/extend? what's their status
> (development, mantained, obsolete, etc.)
> (BTW, no one of this works properly in my squeak 3.9)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Esteban
> --
> "Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
> Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is for Noury and Douai's team:
>
> I was playing a bit with last version of rST, trying to make it work with
> 3.10 (I'm working with Damien Cassou's image) and i found that the unique
> problem is in the transmission of bytes (it was an error in serialization:
> WriteStream does not works with non-character elements).  Therefore, I
> changed SocketStream for FastSocketStream and everything works fine... all
> tests runs without error, and samples too.
> Is it possible to put this change in SqueakSource?

I am not sure I understand - 3.10 already has FastSocketStream AFAIK
(the class SocketStream was replaced with the implementation of
FastSocketStream in 3.9 - but it is still called SocketStream).

Or are you saying that rST has the class SocketStream (the old one)
included in it? That sounds odd.

regards, Göran

Re: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

Damien Cassou-3
2007/6/6, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

> "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is for Noury and Douai's team:
> >
> > I was playing a bit with last version of rST, trying to make it work with
> > 3.10 (I'm working with Damien Cassou's image) and i found that the unique
> > problem is in the transmission of bytes (it was an error in serialization:
> > WriteStream does not works with non-character elements).  Therefore, I
> > changed SocketStream for FastSocketStream and everything works fine... all
> > tests runs without error, and samples too.
> > Is it possible to put this change in SqueakSource?
>
> I am not sure I understand - 3.10 already has FastSocketStream AFAIK
> (the class SocketStream was replaced with the implementation of
> FastSocketStream in 3.9 - but it is still called SocketStream).

Even 3.9 has FastSocketStream named SocketStream.

Damien Cassou

Re: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

EstebanLM
Oops, rST is based in an old version of Network-Kernel, thats the real problem... fixing now...

Cheers,
Esteban

pd: I know, I'm a stupid!

On 6/6/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2007/6/6, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

> "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is for Noury and Douai's team:
> >
> > I was playing a bit with last version of rST, trying to make it work with
> > 3.10 (I'm working with Damien Cassou's image) and i found that the unique
> > problem is in the transmission of bytes (it was an error in serialization:
> > WriteStream does not works with non-character elements).  Therefore, I
> > changed SocketStream for FastSocketStream and everything works fine... all
> > tests runs without error, and samples too.
> > Is it possible to put this change in SqueakSource?
>
> I am not sure I understand - 3.10 already has FastSocketStream AFAIK
> (the class SocketStream was replaced with the implementation of
> FastSocketStream in 3.9 - but it is still called SocketStream).

Even 3.9 has FastSocketStream named SocketStream.

--
Damien Cassou

--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

RE: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

J J-6
>From: "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)
>Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:14:18 -0300
>
>Therefore,  I changed SocketStream for FastSocketStream and everything
>works  fine...

I thought in 3.9 (or so) Squeak was changed to replace the older, slower
Socket with FastSocket?  Or do you mean you updated the code due to this
fact?

Play games, earn tickets, get cool prizes. Play now–it's FREE!
http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink1

Re: Little change in rST (was: RemoteObjects, which version?)

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Estbean,

Your contribution is welcome.

Noury