Little problem (update)

Kelly-10
I have discovered what the problem was. The batch pen trails option was on for my playfield causing some of the lines not do be shown. But I am still not sure why this only happened when I used a button to fire the script.

However I now have another problem. When I fire the script with a button it draws the first two sides at the same time and then draws the others. I want to be able to see all of the lines being drawn (like it does when you start it manually). Is this normal? Or is there something else I need to do, that I have not yet discovered? Thanks

Regards

Kelly

Re: Little problem (update)

Charles Starrett
I saw the same behavior of two lines being drawn at once with my own
(clean) recreation of your script.  On further experimentation, I
observed that the base of the triangle which is drawn when "batch
pen" trails is true, is in fact the line between the end-points of
the two sides that appear to be drawn at once when "batch pen" is
false.  In addition, the balloon help for "batch pen" states:

> if true, detailed movement of pens between display updates is
> ignored.  Thus multiple line segments drawn within a script may not
> be seen individually.

I think there's a correlation -- a problem with something (display or
otherwise) not being updated at the correct time.

An experiment to back up this theory: Turn "batch pen" on again, and
raise the pencil count test up to 5 or more, and click the script
firing button.  You will see that the pencil does indeed get around
to finishing the square.  The errant diagonal is only drawn on the
first two iterations.  What should have been the first two sides
eventually get drawn after the third and fourth sides in this
scenario.  This must be a bug somewhere in eToys.

One other note for people who understand the underpinnings of eToys
better than I: this errant behavior is exhibited both through the
firing button and through the "run this command once" exclamation
button at the top-left corner of the script window.  Only clicking on
the clock gives the correct behavior.

Sorry to raise more questions than answers. Although I love
troubleshooting, I'm a newbie myself.

Best,
Charles

On Mar 1, 2006, at 4:33 AM, Kelly wrote:

> I have discovered what the problem was. The batch pen trails option
> was on for my playfield causing some of the lines not do be shown.
> But I am still not sure why this only happened when I used a button
> to fire the script.
>
> However I now have another problem. When I fire the script with a
> button it draws the first two sides at the same time and then draws
> the others. I want to be able to see all of the lines being drawn
> (like it does when you start it manually). Is this normal? Or is
> there something else I need to do, that I have not yet discovered?
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Kelly

RE : Little problem (update)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)
Hi Kelly

 It is not a good Idea to have StartScript square in the script square itself If you start the script clicking on the watch, this will start the process and the first line (pencil startScript square ) will do nothing since the script is allready ticking.

 This works .... But ...

If you are using either the yellow exclamation dot or the buton to fire the script square,. the script is executed, the first line starts the script ticking and the rest of the script attempt to move the pencil too, the pencil is moved twice, one by the comand in the script square and one by the command in the script started by the command startScript.

This is about simultaneous, the for the two other sides, they are made by commands in scripts 'square' fired at the right time by the ticking status of the script, therfore each at the correct time.

The good programing is to use two scripts one for doing things just like square without the first line , and one to star this script , this one being fired by a button.

 It's a good idea too to put 0 into count in this script before the line startScript.

So just start a new script draging pencil compt <- 0 and then drag pencil startScript square from the script square and put it in the new script, call this script startSquare and get a button to fire it . Do the same with the other shapes.

Regards