Local SqueakSource Server

Tapple Gao
I am trying to install a SqueakSource Server on my home machine
in order to try creating an email-based commit notifier. I have
tried several combinations of 3.7 image, 3.8 image, and 3.9
images

Things I have tried:
  into a full 3.7 or 3.8 image. This Installs fine, but does not
  run because DynamicBindings is missing.
  - After installing DynamicBindings from SqueakMap onto a 3.8
    image, the server fails when a page is loaded with:
    MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>title. I am not sure how
    to get a traceback.
  - I could not test on a 3.7 image, because I cannot load
    SqueakMap; It tries to update to 2.2, and fails.
- Following the instructions on the wiki page for
  http://source.squeakfoundation.org/ss/ fails because I cannot use
  SqueakMap; same problem as above
- Following the instructions at
  http://osdir.com/ml/lang.smalltalk.squeak.beginners/2006-12/msg00098.html
  on a squeak-dev-118 image works until I load the package
  http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/GraphViz-pmm.43.mcz , which fails
  with a syntax error on
  MacOSGraphVizGenerator>>runWithSystemFramework:
  - Trying on the recommended squeak-dev-62 image, Monticello fails
    with an error when reading the KomServices package:
    MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>readStream.
  - I try downloading the packages manually, and the web server
    says that http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/XML-Parser-mir.3.mcz
    cannot be found.

So, I tried four methods of installing SqueakSource, and ran into 5
show-stoppers. How can one install SqueakSource?

Re: Local SqueakSource Server

Adrian Lienhard
It's a pitty that installing something like SqueakSource is so
complicated...
One of the problems seems to be that SqueakMap does not work in your
3.7 image (there have been various issues with SqueakMap IIRC).
Anyway, if you follow the description on the Wiki page http://
source.squeakfoundation.org/ss.html I think you get around SqueakMap
since all packages are in the repository of SqueakSource-SqF itself.

HTH,
Adrian

On May 31, 2007, at 21:13 , Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> I am trying to install a SqueakSource Server on my home machine
> in order to try creating an email-based commit notifier. I have
> tried several combinations of 3.7 image, 3.8 image, and 3.9
> images
>
> Things I have tried:
>   into a full 3.7 or 3.8 image. This Installs fine, but does not
>   run because DynamicBindings is missing.
>   - After installing DynamicBindings from SqueakMap onto a 3.8
>     image, the server fails when a page is loaded with:
>     MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>title. I am not sure how
>     to get a traceback.
>   - I could not test on a 3.7 image, because I cannot load
>     SqueakMap; It tries to update to 2.2, and fails.
> - Following the instructions on the wiki page for
>   http://source.squeakfoundation.org/ss/ fails because I cannot use
>   SqueakMap; same problem as above
> - Following the instructions at
>   http://osdir.com/ml/lang.smalltalk.squeak.beginners/2006-12/
> msg00098.html
>   on a squeak-dev-118 image works until I load the package
>   http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/GraphViz-pmm.43.mcz , which fails
>   with a syntax error on
>   MacOSGraphVizGenerator>>runWithSystemFramework:
>   - Trying on the recommended squeak-dev-62 image, Monticello fails
>     with an error when reading the KomServices package:
>     MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>readStream.
>   - I try downloading the packages manually, and the web server
>     says that http://www.squeaksource.com/ss/XML-Parser-mir.3.mcz
>     cannot be found.
>
> So, I tried four methods of installing SqueakSource, and ran into 5
> show-stoppers. How can one install SqueakSource?
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
> Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

Re: Local SqueakSource Server

Göran Krampe
Hi!

> It's a pitty that installing something like SqueakSource is so
> complicated...
> One of the problems seems to be that SqueakMap does not work in your
> 3.7 image (there have been various issues with SqueakMap IIRC).

SqueakMap is currently 3.8+ only due to the WideString issue. I upgraded
SqueakMap to 3.8 and then discovered that ImageSegments from 3.8 don't
load in 3.7 or earlier due to the wide string stuff.

Sometime when someone take the time - we should move to another format of
the map. But since I am the only one so far interested in developing
SqueakMap (Brian has helped with the client though) AND I don't have time
- it does not get done.

regards, Göran

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:37:14AM +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> It's a pitty that installing something like SqueakSource is so
> complicated...
> One of the problems seems to be that SqueakMap does not work in your
> 3.7 image (there have been various issues with SqueakMap IIRC).
> Anyway, if you follow the description on the Wiki page http://
> source.squeakfoundation.org/ss.html I think you get around SqueakMap
> since all packages are in the repository of SqueakSource-SqF itself.

I tried this, but still ran into the SqueakMap show-stopper. 3.7
does not come with Monticello, and so must be loaded from
SqueakMap. But SqueakMap does not work. I suppose I could try
downloading the MCInstaller and Monticello packages from the
SqueakMap web interface.

Re: Local SqueakSource Server

Yanni Chiu
Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> I tried this, but still ran into the SqueakMap show-stopper. 3.7
> does not come with Monticello, and so must be loaded from
> SqueakMap. But SqueakMap does not work. I suppose I could try
> downloading the MCInstaller and Monticello packages from the
> SqueakMap web interface.

Last resort: download the mcz file, unzip it - it's just a zip file
(rename it to .zip, if necessary), then filein the .st file.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:36:58AM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:37:14AM +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> > It's a pitty that installing something like SqueakSource is so
> > complicated...
> > One of the problems seems to be that SqueakMap does not work in your
> > 3.7 image (there have been various issues with SqueakMap IIRC).
> > Anyway, if you follow the description on the Wiki page http://
> > source.squeakfoundation.org/ss.html I think you get around SqueakMap
> > since all packages are in the repository of SqueakSource-SqF itself.
>
> I tried this, but still ran into the SqueakMap show-stopper. 3.7
> does not come with Monticello, and so must be loaded from
> SqueakMap. But SqueakMap does not work. I suppose I could try
> downloading the MCInstaller and Monticello packages from the
> SqueakMap web interface.

I tried doing this, and I got further than before. I downloaded
http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/MCInstaller.11.st from
SqueakMap, and all the packages in
http://source.squeakfoundation.org/ss/ . Then I opened up a
3.7-5989 image, filed in MCInstaller, then proceeded installing
the MC snapshots in the order specified on the wiki page at
http://source.squeakfoundation.org/ss.html . When installing
KomHttpServer-gk.6.mcz, I get a warning that missing older
dependency KomServices-gk.1.mcz cannot be found. Ignoring it, I
continue on. I install Seaside2-avi.86.mcz and enter a username
and password. When I install SqueakSource-dew.152.mcz, the image
halts at 100% CPU at about 7/8 of the way through loading. Alt-.
has no effect.

Taking heed of the warning, I try downloading
KomServices-gk.1.mcz from SqueakMap, and using it in place of
KomServices-gk.2.mcz. This time, there is no warning when
SqueakSource-dew.152.mcz still freezes the image at the same
point.

8 show-stoppers and counting :-/

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:13:45PM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> I am trying to install a SqueakSource Server on my home machine
> in order to try creating an email-based commit notifier. I have
> tried several combinations of 3.7 image, 3.8 image, and 3.9
> images

Thanks to Ken Causey's help on IRC, I got it working.

Re: Local SqueakSource Server

Adrian Lienhard
Great. Could you add a description of how you installed SqueakSource
to http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5766?
This would certainly be helpful for other people installing
SqueakSource in the future. Thanks.

Adrian

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 10:48:48AM +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Great. Could you add a description of how you installed SqueakSource
> to http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5766?
> This would certainly be helpful for other people installing
> SqueakSource in the future. Thanks.

Done.