Looking at Squeak

Noble Bell
Hello,

I am new to Smalltalk and want to learn it. I have experience in C# and Java and BASIC of various flavors. I downloaded the Dolphin Smalltalk system for Windows and went through some of the tutorials. I really got discouraged by the hefty price tags of both Dolphin and Cincom.

My question, can I develop shareware applications in Squeak that are standalone and also crossplatform?

Thanks in advance & God bless,
Noble

Re: Looking at Squeak

Ralph Johnson
>  My question, can I develop shareware applications in Squeak that are
> standalone and also crossplatform?

Yes, you can.  Squeak applications are automatically crossplatform.
You can keep an application from being crossplatform by doing silly
things with file names, but it is very easy to ensure it is
crossplatform.  On the other hand, it is a fair bit of work to make it
standalone.  Squeak applications are normally bundled with the
programming environment.  You can get rid of the programming
environment and make the application standalone, but it takes work and
the details are too complicated to explain to someone who doesn't know
Smalltalk.  Just go ahead and learn Smalltalk and develop your
application.  Once it is nearly finished then you can figure out how
to make your application standalone, and by that time it will not seem
complicated to you.  Laborious, but not complicated.

Smalltalk is the opposite of C in this respect.  C makes it trivial to
make a standalone application and very hard to make an application
with built in debugging.  Smalltalk makes it easy to make an
application with built in debugging and harder to make a standalone
application.  Overall, it is a lot easier in Smalltalk.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Looking at Squeak

Michael van der Gulik-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Smalltalk and want to learn it. I have experience in C#
> and Java and BASIC of various flavors. I downloaded the Dolphin
> Smalltalk system for Windows and went through some of the tutorials. I
> really got discouraged by the hefty price tags of both Dolphin and Cincom.
>
> My question, can I develop shareware applications in Squeak that are
> standalone and also crossplatform?

Firstly, in my opinion Smalltalk is far superior to C#, Java and BASIC
:-). But then again, that's just my opinion.

You can develop shareware applications in Squeak, and they're mostly
guaranteed to be cross-platform. It's possible that you may come across
OS-dependant behaviour if you use external interfaces such as TCP/IP,
files, 3-D graphics etc, but this applies to all programming languages.

To distribute your applications, you have several options:

1. You could distribute your "image". This is essentially a snapshot of
your application, and makes it trivial for somebody else to run your
application. For examples of images, see the "Pre-configured images"
section of http://www.squeak.org/Download/. Images range from 4MB up to
100MB depending on how much stuff you put in them.

2. You can distribute "Monticello" files (.mcz files). These are what we
developers use to share code with each other, but aren't too difficult
for ordinary users to load. Monticello files range from a few kilobytes
to a few megabytes (if you try really hard :-) ). Examples of these are
splattered all over http://www.squeaksource.com.

3. You can save Morphic projects as .pr files. I don't know much about
these. I think there was something in Squeak called "Bobs super swiki"
or something which lets you play with these, but that may be obsolete by
now.

Regards,
Michael.

Re: Looking at Squeak

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/26/07 9:38 PM, "Michael van der Gulik" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> 3. You can save Morphic projects as .pr files. I don't know much about
> these. I think there was something in Squeak called "Bobs super swiki"
> or something which lets you play with these, but that may be obsolete by
> now.
Not true. .pr files are used.
I just put my experimental 3.10 image without Etoys and Nebraska and a
couple of old projects converted for use with this image.
People could see what a lot of fun is possible without Etoys.

What IS true is what .pr files usually works without problems between same
versions of Squeak.

That is projects saved with 3.8 image works fine in another 3.8 image.
Using the project in 3.7 is impossible.
Using the project in 3.9 or 3.10 could work some times or you need more
Squeak what a newbie have in some cases.

Edgar