Looking for Squeak-80

Blake McBride
Greetings,

I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled down Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally defined in the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but much simpler than what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just wondering if there is any stripped down version like this.  (Not just stripped down but very similar to the original smalltalk-80)

On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to figure out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.) with squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They all show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how to create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time with it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and modal dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way people could easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business applications with Squeak" is needed.

Thanks.

Blake McBride

Re: Looking for Squeak-80

Sungjin Chun
Though this is not exact ST-80 image in the book, this might help you.

https://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/downloads/detail?name=ST80-20100805.zip&can=2&q=

This image is my own stripped down MVC only squeak 3.8.1 image.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Blake McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its
> complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled down
> Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally defined in
> the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but much simpler
> than what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just wondering if there
> is any stripped down version like this.  (Not just stripped down but very
> similar to the original smalltalk-80)
>
> On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to figure
> out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.) with
> squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They all
> show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how to
> create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time with
> it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and modal
> dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way people could
> easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business applications with
> Squeak" is needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake McBride

Re: Looking for Squeak-80

J. Vuletich (mail lists)

Hi Blake,

Check http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html  . Cuis doesn't try to be exactly like Smalltalk-80, but to retain the spirit while allowing newer stuff and evolution. It is not like a freezed Smalltalk-80, but like Smalltalk-80 evolved until today. In terms of lines of code it is about twice the size of Smalltalk-80, but about one third the size of Squeak.

Cuis doesn't include MVC, but a very cleaned up and simplified version of Morphic. For example, Cuis doesn't include Etoys, Projects and a lot of other stuff. The idea is to enable anyone to master it.

Juan Vuletich

Quoting Blake McBride <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

UI toolkit (was: Looking for Squeak-80)

Bert Freudenberg
(just giving this a separate thread)

On 2012-07-06, at 04:39, Blake McBride wrote:
> On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to figure out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.) with squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They all show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how to create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time with it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and modal dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way people could easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business applications with Squeak" is needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake McBride

Is any of the widget sets still usable? I had this question recently from someone who just wanted to make a "normal" UI, with a toolbar that has a couple of nice-looking buttons, drop-down menus etc.

- Bert -

Re: UI toolkit (was: Looking for Squeak-80)

dcorking
Bert Freudenberg asked:
> Is any of the widget sets still usable? I had this question
> recently from someone who just wanted to make a "normal"
> UI, with a toolbar that has a couple of nice-looking buttons,
> drop-down menus etc.

It looks like MBagger and Lawsuit Tracker both have traditional
Smalltalk desktop GUIs:

http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories

Perhaps the authors could let us know if they have tried to port their
code to recent Squeak or Pharo.

David

Re: Looking for Squeak-80

Nicolai Hess-3-2
There are older version of squeak at
http://ftp.squeak.org/
The oldest versions are looking more like
smalltalk-80 than today squeak versions.

nicolai

On 2012-07-06, at 12:53, David Corking wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg asked:
>> Is any of the widget sets still usable? I had this question
>> recently from someone who just wanted to make a "normal"
>> UI, with a toolbar that has a couple of nice-looking buttons,
>> drop-down menus etc.
>
> It looks like MBagger and Lawsuit Tracker both have traditional
> Smalltalk desktop GUIs:
>
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
>
> Perhaps the authors could let us know if they have tried to port their
> code to recent Squeak or Pharo.
>
> David

Hilaire uses Pharo for Dr Geo because of the Polymorph widgets (even though Squeak might have been a better fit for this educational tool otherwise).

- Bert -

Re: Looking for Squeak-80

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Looking for Squeak-80

On 7/5/12 11:39 PM, "Blake McBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Blake:

You could try Cuis http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html

If full Cuis still scares you , I have a reduced version originated from a work Juan what is at this time the most complete / smaller .
In 2.5 mb you have a nice scaled down Morphic with same Network as Squeak 4.3.

On top of this you could put some logic and have WebClient and start with web apps.

Forget is a Spanish list for talk about everything and send questions in English and sure have answers.

Edgar

Re: UI toolkit (was: Looking for Squeak-80)

Gary Chambers-4
Indeed, MBagger (now evolved into PostID)  is in Pharo using Polymorph.

Regards, Gary

On 2012-07-06, at 12:53, David Corking wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg asked:
>> Is any of the widget sets still usable? I had this question
>> recently from someone who just wanted to make a "normal"
>> UI, with a toolbar that has a couple of nice-looking buttons,
>> drop-down menus etc.
>
> It looks like MBagger and Lawsuit Tracker both have traditional
> Smalltalk desktop GUIs:
>
> http://www.pharo-project.org/about/success-stories
>
> Perhaps the authors could let us know if they have tried to port their
> code to recent Squeak or Pharo.
>
> David

Hilaire uses Pharo for Dr Geo because of the Polymorph widgets (even though
Squeak might have been a better fit for this educational tool otherwise).

- Bert -

Re: UI toolkit (was: Looking for Squeak-80)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (just giving this a separate thread)
>
> On 2012-07-06, at 04:39, Blake McBride wrote:
>> On another note, in the past I spent a small amount of time trying to figure out how to write a business application (data entry dialogs, etc.) with squeak.  I purchased the available squeak books but had no luck.  They all show how to do a bunch of fancy graphic maneuvers but none showed how to create a dialog with controls.  (Granted, I didn't spend too much time with it.)  Having a number of business-like examples like modeless and modal dialogs, controls, grids, etc. would be really great.  This way people could easily start using Squeak at work.  A book, "Business applications with Squeak" is needed.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Blake McBride
>
> Is any of the widget sets still usable? I had this question recently from someone who just wanted to make a "normal" UI, with a toolbar that has a couple of nice-looking buttons, drop-down menus etc.

Not sure about what widget sets are you asking about, but Morphic Designer
seems to be pretty cool for creating Squeak based GUI:
https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: Looking for Squeak-80

Chris Muller-3
> I have been following Squeak for years but have been intimidated by its
> complexity (projects, worlds, morphic, etc.).  I'd love to see a scaled down
> Squeak that simply attempts to provide Smalltalk-80 as originally defined in
> the original books.  It doesn't have to be utterly exact but much simpler
> than what is provided in full-blown squeak.  I was just wondering if there
> is any stripped down version like this.  (Not just stripped down but very
> similar to the original smalltalk-80)

If you can develop a basic domain model in Smalltalk, then you can use
Maui to rapidly prototype a UI using only drag-and-drop assembly of
messages on panels, to operate on that domain model.  You don't have
to write any UI code (but you can if you want for special enhancement
of your app).  The messages you drop onto panels, when invoked,
produce other panels which, themselves, can be used as input to other
messages.  IOW, all outputs are also inputs, which makes for a
powerful and flexible UI.

Here is a video showing what a professionally-developed Maui
application can look like (starting at time index 32:00):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUUqjItMpZ0&list=PL0AB6706BBFAE82DD&feature=mh_lolz

An introductory video about Maui.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUdu8ImXJwU