Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
but in a single row or column.

In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
spanning several rows or columns.

If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
work just fine for me.

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Michael Rueger-6
There is a package "Grit" we are using in Sophie. It is for Tweak, but
it should be possible to adapt it to Morphic.
http://source.opensophie.org/Sophie/Grit-pe.56.mcz
There should be documentation somewhere, need to find it though...

Michael

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
> Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
> layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
> code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
> but in a single row or column.
>
> In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
> of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
> spanning several rows or columns.
>
> If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
> been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
> Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
> identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
> work just fine for me.
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Karl Ramberg
Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
> Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
> layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
> code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
> but in a single row or column.
>
> In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
> of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
> spanning several rows or columns.
>
> If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
> been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
> Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
> identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
> work just fine for me.

I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
<http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html

Karl

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 09:22:08AM +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
> There is a package "Grit" we are using in Sophie. It is for Tweak, but
> it should be possible to adapt it to Morphic.
> http://source.opensophie.org/Sophie/Grit-pe.56.mcz
> There should be documentation somewhere, need to find it though...

Thanks. It looks like much more than a layout policy, but I
think I may be able to use it. I'm working in Tweak, so it's
a little less of a hassle to use this package.

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:36:35PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
> > Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
> > layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
> > code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
> > but in a single row or column.
> >
> > In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
> > of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
> > spanning several rows or columns.
> >
> > If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
> > been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
> > Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
> > identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
> > work just fine for me.
> >

> I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
> SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
> It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html

Oh wow. This is perfect. Do you know if it is MIT licensed? I'd
like to incorperate this into Cobalt.

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:36:35PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
> > Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
> > layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
> > code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
> > but in a single row or column.
> >
> > In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
> > of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
> > spanning several rows or columns.
> >
> > If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
> > been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
> > Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
> > identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
> > work just fine for me.
> >

> I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
> SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
> It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html

Yes, it was Alain. The email is
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-April/077324.html

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Karl Ramberg
Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:36:35PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:
>
>> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
>>> Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
>>> layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
>>> code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
>>> but in a single row or column.
>>>
>>> In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
>>> of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
>>> spanning several rows or columns.
>>>
>>> If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
>>> been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
>>> Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
>>> identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
>>> work just fine for me.
>>>

>> I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
>> SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
>> <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
>> It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html
>>

> Oh wow. This is perfect. Do you know if it is MIT licensed? I'd
> like to incorperate this into Cobalt.

I got it from the list (I think) a few years back, no license, not sure
who the author is...
Some comments are in French in there and initials where af or ap I
think. Alain Plantec ?
Not much help...
But the code is great for what it does and I wish we had it in the base
image :-)
I'll digg some more...

Karl

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:19:02PM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
> > SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
> > <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
> > It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html
>
> Oh wow. This is perfect. Do you know if it is MIT licensed? I'd
> like to incorperate this into Cobalt.

Hi Alain. I'd like to use your SFGridLayout in Cobalt, which has
a strict MIT licensing requirement. May I assume that is OK with
you?

This package comes from your 2004 email:

Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:36:35PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:
>
>> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I'm looking over the various layout policies available in
>>> Morphic for one that aligns morphs in rows and columns (a grid
>>> layout). I see there is a TableLayout, but looking thru the
>>> code, it does not lay things out in a table (or grid), at all,
>>> but in a single row or column.
>>>
>>> In most user interfaces, dialog boxes are nearly always made up
>>> of widgets aligned in rows and column, with some widgets
>>> spanning several rows or columns.
>>>
>>> If anyone has something like that, I'd be grateful for it. I've
>>> been tasked to fix up the layout of some tweak dialog boxes in
>>> Cobalt, and discovered that Tweak's layout code is word-for-word
>>> identical to Morphic's, so anything anyone has in Morphic will
>>> work just fine for me.
>>>

>> I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
>> SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
>> <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
>> It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html
>>

> Oh wow. This is perfect. Do you know if it is MIT licensed? I'd
> like to incorperate this into Cobalt.

Found him on Squeakmap:
alain rastoul (alr)
<http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/accountbyid/4c04f93d-f0b0-428d-bf49-fb346abf5d5a>

Karl

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Tapple Gao
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:40:53PM +0100, Karl Ramberg wrote:
> Found him on Squeakmap:
> alain rastoul (alr)
> <http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/accountbyid/4c04f93d-f0b0-428d-bf49-fb346abf5d5a>

Oops. I already sent Alain Plantec an email. Thank you for
double checking. I sent Alain Rastoul an email too.

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Brian Brown-2
Have you ever taken a look at GuidedLayout on squeaksource? I
definitely does grids, among other things, and its MIT

- Brian

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:00:04PM -0700, Brian Brown wrote:
> Have you ever taken a look at GuidedLayout on squeaksource? I
> definitely does grids, among other things, and its MIT

No, I haven't. I was in the middle of writing my own when I got
your email.

I don't get what it does or how to use it. It needs more
comments.

the one I'm working on is based on
https://tablelayout.dev.java.net/

which I was told in #squeak is the easiest one to use of all
he's tried. I attached the javadoc HTML page which overviews how
to use it, which is all I used of it. I'm about 60% through
implementing it, and it looks to be 5 classes and about 40
methods, plus lots of comments. I'm writing it for Tweak, but it
should be straightforward to port to Morphic, as the layout code
is nearly identical between them (just a half-dozen methods with
different names)

I'm writing it because we have a lot of traditional dialog boxes
we need to layout in Cobalt.

PS. I made a trivial fix to GuidedLayout. I changed all _
assignments to := so that it can load in Cobalt:
http://www.duke.edu/~mtf4/GuidedLayout-mtf.20.mcz

TableLayout.html (93K) Download Attachment

Re: Looking for a GridLayout

Alain Plantec
Matthew Fulmer a écrit :

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:19:02PM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
>>> I have used a change set mailed by (Alain Plantec ?) to the list years ago:
>>> SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz
>>> <http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph/SFC-Layout-kfr.1.mcz>
>>> It's in http://www.squeaksource.com/HtmlTableMorph.html
>>>
>> Oh wow. This is perfect. Do you know if it is MIT licensed? I'd
>> like to incorperate this into Cobalt.
>>

> Hi Alain. I'd like to use your SFGridLayout in Cobalt, which has
> a strict MIT licensing requirement. May I assume that is OK with
> you?

Hi Matthew,
It would have been with pleasure but unfortunately this package and the
email are not from me.
Cheers,
Alain

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:00:04PM -0700, Brian Brown wrote:
>> Have you ever taken a look at GuidedLayout on squeaksource? I
>> definitely does grids, among other things, and its MIT
>
> No, I haven't. I was in the middle of writing my own when I got
> your email.
>
> I don't get what it does or how to use it. It needs more
> comments.

Hmm, I thought there were a few sample methods on the class side, but
I haven't looked at for a while...