Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    Spur adds two new immediate classes, Character and SmallFloat64.  It also adds 61-bit SmallIntegers in 64-bits.  DataStream/ReferenceStream/SmartRefStream are all affected by this.  e.g.

        ReferenceStream testWith: $a

fails on 32-bit and 64-bit Spur.

    ReferenceStream testWith: SmallInteger maxVal

fails (silently, to be fixed soon) on 64-bit Spur.

Is anyone kind enough and motivated enough to give this code some love and at least make it work for

32-bit Spur => 32-bit Spur
64-bit Spur => 64-bit Spur

but also hopefully for
32-bit Spur <=> 64-bit Spur
32-bit V3 => 32-bit Spur
32-bit V3 => 64-bit Spur

?

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes.  Can you send me a pair of doits for me to test this, one I can run in v3 and one I can run in Spur?

I'm trying to set-up a faulty expression, but it is not so easy.

Meanwhile I stumbled upon a similar bug:

        $a asReferenceStream reset fileInObjectAndCode

The above succeeds in V3 and raises an error in Spur. Same reason: basicNew being sent to Character.

But I'n curious, why codePoint: rather than

createFrom: aSmartRefStream size: varsOnDisk version: instVarList

    ^ self value: instVarList first

?

Well I got used to codePoint: ... Also value: has a lot more implementors and senders and does not mean much by itself. Actually I never thought about this.

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Tobias Pape
Hi,

On 03.02.2015, at 19:17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    Spur adds two new immediate classes, Character and SmallFloat64.  It also adds 61-bit SmallIntegers in 64-bits.  DataStream/ReferenceStream/SmartRefStream are all affected by this.  e.g.
>
>        ReferenceStream testWith: $a
>
> fails on 32-bit and 64-bit Spur.
>
>    ReferenceStream testWith: SmallInteger maxVal
>
> fails (silently, to be fixed soon) on 64-bit Spur.

Do you have a 64bit spur vm and image i can play around with?

best
        -tobias

> Is anyone kind enough and motivated enough to give this code some love and at least make it work for
>
> 32-bit Spur => 32-bit Spur
> 64-bit Spur => 64-bit Spur
>
> but also hopefully for
> 32-bit Spur <=> 64-bit Spur
> 32-bit V3 => 32-bit Spur
> 32-bit V3 => 64-bit Spur
>
> ?
>
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes.  Can you send me a pair of doits for me to test this, one I can run in v3 and one I can run in Spur?
>
> I'm trying to set-up a faulty expression, but it is not so easy.
>
> Meanwhile I stumbled upon a similar bug:
>
>        $a asReferenceStream reset fileInObjectAndCode
>
> The above succeeds in V3 and raises an error in Spur. Same reason: basicNew being sent to Character.
>

> But I'n curious, why codePoint: rather than
>
> createFrom: aSmartRefStream size: varsOnDisk version: instVarList
>
>    ^ self value: instVarList first
>
> ?
>
> Well I got used to codePoint: ... Also value: has a lot more implementors and senders and does not mean much by itself. Actually I never thought about this.

Re: Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

    I'll try and upload an image and vm tomorrow am my time.  Right now the  only 64-bit Spur vm I have is a Linux stack vm.

Eliot (phone)

On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03.02.2015, at 19:17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>   Spur adds two new immediate classes, Character and SmallFloat64.  It also adds 61-bit SmallIntegers in 64-bits.  DataStream/ReferenceStream/SmartRefStream are all affected by this.  e.g.
>>
>>       ReferenceStream testWith: $a
>>
>> fails on 32-bit and 64-bit Spur.
>>
>>   ReferenceStream testWith: SmallInteger maxVal
>>
>> fails (silently, to be fixed soon) on 64-bit Spur.
>
> Do you have a 64bit spur vm and image i can play around with?
>
> best
>    -tobias
>
>> Is anyone kind enough and motivated enough to give this code some love and at least make it work for
>>
>> 32-bit Spur => 32-bit Spur
>> 64-bit Spur => 64-bit Spur
>>
>> but also hopefully for
>> 32-bit Spur <=> 64-bit Spur
>> 32-bit V3 => 32-bit Spur
>> 32-bit V3 => 64-bit Spur
>>
>> ?
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes.  Can you send me a pair of doits for me to test this, one I can run in v3 and one I can run in Spur?
>>
>> I'm trying to set-up a faulty expression, but it is not so easy.
>>
>> Meanwhile I stumbled upon a similar bug:
>>
>>       $a asReferenceStream reset fileInObjectAndCode
>>
>> The above succeeds in V3 and raises an error in Spur. Same reason: basicNew being sent to Character.
>>

>> But I'n curious, why codePoint: rather than
>>
>> createFrom: aSmartRefStream size: varsOnDisk version: instVarList
>>
>>   ^ self value: instVarList first
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Well I got used to codePoint: ... Also value: has a lot more implementors and senders and does not mean much by itself. Actually I never thought about this.

Re: Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Tobias Pape
ok, I'll try

On 25.06.2015, at 04:38, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
>    I'll try and upload an image and vm tomorrow am my time.  Right now the  only 64-bit Spur vm I have is a Linux stack vm.
>
> Eliot (phone)
>
> On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03.02.2015, at 19:17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>  Spur adds two new immediate classes, Character and SmallFloat64.  It also adds 61-bit SmallIntegers in 64-bits.  DataStream/ReferenceStream/SmartRefStream are all affected by this.  e.g.
>>>
>>>      ReferenceStream testWith: $a
>>>
>>> fails on 32-bit and 64-bit Spur.
>>>
>>>  ReferenceStream testWith: SmallInteger maxVal
>>>
>>> fails (silently, to be fixed soon) on 64-bit Spur.
>>
>> Do you have a 64bit spur vm and image i can play around with?
>>
>> best
>>   -tobias
>>
>>> Is anyone kind enough and motivated enough to give this code some love and at least make it work for
>>>
>>> 32-bit Spur => 32-bit Spur
>>> 64-bit Spur => 64-bit Spur
>>>
>>> but also hopefully for
>>> 32-bit Spur <=> 64-bit Spur
>>> 32-bit V3 => 32-bit Spur
>>> 32-bit V3 => 64-bit Spur
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yes.  Can you send me a pair of doits for me to test this, one I can run in v3 and one I can run in Spur?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set-up a faulty expression, but it is not so easy.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile I stumbled upon a similar bug:
>>>
>>>      $a asReferenceStream reset fileInObjectAndCode
>>>
>>> The above succeeds in V3 and raises an error in Spur. Same reason: basicNew being sent to Character.
>>>

>>> But I'n curious, why codePoint: rather than
>>>
>>> createFrom: aSmartRefStream size: varsOnDisk version: instVarList
>>>
>>>  ^ self value: instVarList first
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Well I got used to codePoint: ... Also value: has a lot more implementors and senders and does not mean much by itself. Actually I never thought about this.

Re: Looking for a volunteer to help with DataStream on Spur

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tobias,

    I'm sorry.  I've not been able to find time to do this.  I promise to have it done my Monday morning.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok, I'll try

On 25.06.2015, at 04:38, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
>    I'll try and upload an image and vm tomorrow am my time.  Right now the  only 64-bit Spur vm I have is a Linux stack vm.
>
> Eliot (phone)
>
> On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03.02.2015, at 19:17, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>>  Spur adds two new immediate classes, Character and SmallFloat64.  It also adds 61-bit SmallIntegers in 64-bits.  DataStream/ReferenceStream/SmartRefStream are all affected by this.  e.g.
>>>
>>>      ReferenceStream testWith: $a
>>>
>>> fails on 32-bit and 64-bit Spur.
>>>
>>>  ReferenceStream testWith: SmallInteger maxVal
>>>
>>> fails (silently, to be fixed soon) on 64-bit Spur.
>>
>> Do you have a 64bit spur vm and image i can play around with?
>>
>> best
>>   -tobias
>>
>>> Is anyone kind enough and motivated enough to give this code some love and at least make it work for
>>>
>>> 32-bit Spur => 32-bit Spur
>>> 64-bit Spur => 64-bit Spur
>>>
>>> but also hopefully for
>>> 32-bit Spur <=> 64-bit Spur
>>> 32-bit V3 => 32-bit Spur

On 26.06.2015, at 02:42, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
>     I'm sorry.  I've not been able to find time to do this.  I promise to have it done my Monday morning.

Take your time, I won't have any until monday, either.

Best regards
        -Tobias