Looking for mentors and project ideas for Squeak's Summer of Code application

Looking for mentors and project ideas for Squeak's Summer of Code application

Giovanni Corriga
Hi,

the Squeak Foundation will be applying to participate in the 2008
edition of the Google Summer of Code. This year we'll be interested in
involving the other Squeak-related communities, too. So I'm asking for
both volunteer mentors and project ideas.

If you're interested in being a mentor, and/or want to provide a project
idea, please contact me at [hidden email] .

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: Looking for mentors and project ideas for Squeak's Summer of Code application

askoh
Administrator
It has occurred to me that Croquet lacks an authoring tool inside it. I
have therefore started to port my CAD software to Croquet with the help of
three final year students in Malaysia.
freeCAD: 3D CAD with Motion Simulation
http://ar-cad.com
Although not as sophisticated as Blender yet, freeCAD is 100% Visualworks
Smalltalk and OpenGL. So porting should be quite simple and the power of
Smalltalk can be used to extend it indefinitely. It also adds motion
simulation which is very useful for teaching of physics and mechanics.

My goal for freeCAD since 2000 has been to
create a Smalltalk system for Computer Aided Design, Simulation and
Manufacturing (CADSM). For the work to date see my paper at Smalltalk
Solutions 2007:
http://askoh.net/misc/cadsm/kohaS231.pdf
It is my believe that Smalltalk can produce better CADSM type software
than any other development environment. Now that Croquet is available, it
seems very logical to bring freeCAD, hence CADSM, into Croquet.

freeCAD uses NURBS boundary representation of solids, faces and edges. So
it can be simple or complex. Its GUI is very lacking, so much of the core
is not visible. It has an non-manifold topology solid modeler based on
radial edge method. It can import STEP files from SolidWorks and DXF files
from AutoCAD. Its motion engine is accurate enough for engineering
simulation.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Giovanni Corriga wrote
Hi,

the Squeak Foundation will be applying to participate in the 2008
edition of the Google Summer of Code. This year we'll be interested in
involving the other Squeak-related communities, too. So I'm asking for
both volunteer mentors and project ideas.

If you're interested in being a mentor, and/or want to provide a project
idea, please contact me at giovanni@corriga.net .

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: Looking for mentors and project ideas for Squeak's Summer of Code application

RichWhite
This is wonderfulo Aik .. How far along are you in integrating freeCAD into Croquet? ... would you have a prototype video etc?

Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the Squeak Foundation will be applying to participate in the 2008
> edition of the Google Summer of Code. This year we'll be interested in
> involving the other Squeak-related communities, too. So I'm asking for
> both volunteer mentors and project ideas.
>
> If you're interested in being a mentor, and/or want to provide a project
> idea, please contact me at [hidden email] .
>
>       Ciao,
>
>               Giovanni

Re: Looking for mentors and project ideas for Squeak's Summer of Code application

askoh
Administrator
The first step is to duplicate all the capabilities of freeCAD as in
http://ar-cad.com
into Croquet. Beyond that is to create GUI to take advantage of the Solid Modeling and NURBS inside freeCAD. Ultimately, we wish freeCAD to be the default tool for creating worlds and its contents.

The following video shows the progress to date.
http://askoh.net/mmu/KhaiFong/Videos/PolygonCreationWMV/PolygonCreationWMV.html

Aik-Siong

<quote author="RichWhite">