Lost menu for adding new font sizes

Bert Freudenberg
There was a question on Stack overflow regarding this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22604477/how-do-i-make-really-large-text-in-smalltalk/22682974#22682974

And I was going to reply to simply use the font menu to add a new size. This is what that used to look like:

Ugly, maybe, but functional. But this menu is gone, you now get a font dialog, which is missing the option to use an arbitrary size. Can we bring that back?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Lost menu for adding new font sizes

Tobias Pape
On 27.03.2014, at 15:47, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The nice thing about the font dialog is you can actually see a sample of what you're selecting.  With the menu, not.

This makes at most sense for Font families but not for sizes…

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 27.03.2014, at 15:47, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The nice thing about the font dialog is you can actually see a sample of what you're selecting.  With the menu, not.
>>

> This makes at most sense for Font families but not for sizes…

What do you mean?  The dialog shows an exact sample of 26 letters and
10 numbers the user can see prior to "Apply"ing the font.

font-dialog.png (23K) Download Attachment

On 27.03.2014, at 15:56, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27.03.2014, at 15:47, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The nice thing about the font dialog is you can actually see a sample of what you're selecting.  With the menu, not.
>>>

>> This makes at most sense for Font families but not for sizes…
>
> What do you mean?  The dialog shows an exact sample of 26 letters and
> 10 numbers the user can see prior to "Apply"ing the font.
I thought in the way of the screenie Bert send.
When you display the font names there in the font itself, that makes
sense, but not for the sizes.

Regarding the chooser dialog, yes, it misses the possibilty to
select arbitrary sizes.

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Lost menu for adding new font sizes

Chris Muller-3
Ok, I finally got you.  You're talking about like what it does after
selecting Appearance... | system fonts...

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27.03.2014, at 15:56, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> This makes at most sense for Font families but not for sizes…
>>
>> What do you mean?  The dialog shows an exact sample of 26 letters and
>> 10 numbers the user can see prior to "Apply"ing the font.
>
> I thought in the way of the screenie Bert send.
> When you display the font names there in the font itself, that makes
> sense, but not for the sizes.
>
> Regarding the chooser dialog, yes, it misses the possibilty to
> select arbitrary sizes.
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Lost menu for adding new font sizes

timrowledge
Guess we need to add a text pane in the top-right of the FontChooser. Should show the current font size, ought to only allow in numeric chars + return(?) to request setting the size, perhaps some visual feedback if the size is not practical… what else?

Actually I’m not at all sure about how font sizes are working these days. I had to take a quick look while trying to fix a Scratch issue a week or so ago and it all looked a bit convoluted around styles and fonts and sizes and so on.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BFM: Branch on Full Moon