Low space

Jakub-8
Hi,

i have one big problem. I get Space is low again and again. I dont know what happend and how restore my seaside image. Imagage has 550MB now.
Can anybody help to do this:
1) search where is problem - look on proceses and kill some bad proces...
2) find what take 500MB :) and how to clear it
i need fix it -  i do lot of work today i dont want lost all work ;(

Note:
I am quite new in squeak but i must say this IDE is really bad. When i make infinte cycle i lost my work. I have developer image from seaside.st but this is as going back for 10-15 years in DOS or too  old x-servers :(

Re: Low space

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Dec 31, 2007 12:43 PM, an organic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

i have one big problem. I get Space is low again and again. I dont know what happend and how restore my seaside image. Imagage has 550MB now.
Can anybody help to do this:
1) search where is problem - look on proceses and kill some bad proces...
2) find what take 500MB :) and how to clear it
i need fix it -  i do lot of work today i dont want lost all work ;(

You usually don't lose your work if you are careful. Your changes are in squeak.changes. To recover work:

First, make a backup of everything!
Copy a new image file over.
Go to desktop->changes...->recently logged changes.

From there, you can view the source code changes you made and recover any ones that you made since you last checked your code into a code repository using Monticello (which you did, right?).

In terms of recovering your image, using the Process browser to locate your errand processes and terminate them. I don't know how to investigate heap usage to find a memory leak though; I usually just use intuition. Maybe somebody else has a better answer?

I am quite new in squeak but i must say this IDE is really bad. When i make infinte cycle i lost my work. I have developer image from seaside.st but this is as going back for 10-15 years in DOS or too  old x-servers :(

I'd have to agree that the IDE is really bad, but the environment as a whole lets me do much more than any other IDE I've ever seen. Squeak remains an amazing tool with a bad UI. Feel free to help us improve it!

Save your work often and keep backups of your squeak.image and squeak.changes files!

To terminate an infinite loop, press alt-. If you used "fork" in your loop then bad luck :-).

In terms of age, you're going further back than DOS and old X-Servers! Smalltalk has been around since 1978.

If you need more help, join the #squeak IRC channel on irc.openprojects.net .

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Low space

keith1y
Hi,

Looking after your image is quite a skill, it takes time to learn how to
do it. It is also one of those things that we who have learnt that
skill, are not very good at explaining just how we do it.

Firstly, your critique of the IDE... I would say it really depends upon
which tools in the IDE you are using. If you were to start with the
basic tools, those which have been around for a long time, such as the
"PackagePaneBrowser", I think you would find things much better. I find
the Omnibrowser tools to be slow, especially since they have (or
certainly used to have) a major memory leak which made them unusable for me.

I have been attempting to encourage package developers to ensure that
their packages implement #freeSomeSpace and #cleanUp in order to make
this problem easier to solve. Here are some methods that you could add
to your image and run.
====
"this one is the main offender for the new UI tools memory leaking"
DynamicProtocols-classSide-#cleanUp

    ^ self invalidateCache
====
EventManager-classSide-#cleanUp

     ActionMaps := nil.
====
MCMethodDefinition-classSide-#cleanUp

    Definitions := nil
====
WAHalo-classSide-#cleanUp

    self initialize
====
SmalltalkImage-classSide-#cleanUp

Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys.
RequiredSelectors current ensureClean.
AppRegistry removeObsolete.
====
WARegistry-classSide-#cleanUp

    self allSubInstancesDo: [ :each | each clearHandlers ].
====
MCFileBasedRepository-classSide-#cleanUp
    "system request for memory cleanup (e.g. prior to an image publication)"
    self flushAllCaches
====
SmalltalkImage-classSide-#cleanUpAll

  (Smalltalk select: [ :class | class respondsTo: #cleanUp ]) do: [
:each | each cleanUp ].
====

So executing SmalltalkImage cleanUpAll. Should make a difference to your
memory footprint.

Is it really using 550Mb, that is a lot, it might have reserved that
much virutal memory address space with the OS, but really only be using
a fraction of that. My images are absolutely stuffed full of extras and
I manage to keep them down to around 40-50Mb. See how much diskspace it
uses when you save the image, that is the more realistic figure.

I hope this helps a bit

Keith

Re: Low space

Randal L. Schwartz

Keith> SmalltalkImage-classSide-#cleanUpAll

Keith>   (Smalltalk select: [ :class | class respondsTo: #cleanUp ]) do: [
Keith> :each | each cleanUp ].

#select:thenDo: would be a bit nicer there. :)

Re: Low space

Jakub-8
Hello this looks as advice that i need.
I download new session and run it, i see changes from my damaged image. Is possible load changes from damaged  image to my new one - is it possible step by step?

I am not use monticello :(.

Thnx.

2007/12/31, Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>:

On Dec 31, 2007 12:43 PM, an organic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

i have one big problem. I get Space is low again and again. I dont know what happend and how restore my seaside image. Imagage has 550MB now.
Can anybody help to do this:
1) search where is problem - look on proceses and kill some bad proces...
2) find what take 500MB :) and how to clear it
i need fix it -  i do lot of work today i dont want lost all work ;(

You usually don't lose your work if you are careful. Your changes are in squeak.changes. To recover work:

First, make a backup of everything!
Copy a new image file over.
Go to desktop->changes...->recently logged changes.

From there, you can view the source code changes you made and recover any ones that you made since you last checked your code into a code repository using Monticello (which you did, right?).

I am quite new in squeak but i must say this IDE is really bad. When i make infinte cycle i lost my work. I have developer image from <a href="http://seaside.st" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">seaside.st but this is as going back for 10-15 years in DOS or too  old x-servers :(

I'd have to agree that the IDE is really bad, but the environment as a whole lets me do much more than any other IDE I've ever seen. Squeak remains an amazing tool with a bad UI. Feel free to help us improve it!

Save your work often and keep backups of your squeak.image and squeak.changes files!

To terminate an infinite loop, press alt-. If you used "fork" in your loop then bad luck :-).

In terms of age, you're going further back than DOS and old X-Servers! Smalltalk has been around since 1978.

If you need more help, join the #squeak IRC channel on <a href="http://irc.openprojects.net" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> irc.openprojects.net .

Gulik.

--

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

Re: Low space

Michael van der Gulik-3
an organic wrote:
> Hello this looks as advice that i need.
> I download new session and run it, i see changes from my damaged
> image. Is possible load changes from damaged  image to my new one - is
> it possible step by step?

Yes. You select several of the changes you want made to your image
(again) and click "file in selections".

> I am not use monticello :(.

I'd encourage you to learn about it! I keep all my code in Monticello;
when I lose an image (which is often, because I abuse my images), I can
load all my code into a new image.

I'll be on IRC for the next 9 hours or so if you want more help.

Gulik.