[MC] Diffing arbitrary versions?

Andreas.Raab
Hi Guys -

I want to see a diff between two arbitrary package versions in
Monticello. It looks like there isn't a UI for this (the "diff" button
looked good at first but I couldn't figure out what it does) so does
anyone have a quick doIt for diffing versions?

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Re: [MC] Diffing arbitrary versions?

Avi  Bryant

On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:47 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Guys -
>
> I want to see a diff between two arbitrary package versions in
> Monticello. It looks like there isn't a UI for this (the "diff"
> button looked good at first but I couldn't figure out what it does)
> so does anyone have a quick doIt for diffing versions?

Hit History, and pop up the context menu on the items in the lefthand
list.  You can use that to a) get a diff to the topmost version in
the history list, or b) spawn a new history window with the selected
item at the top.

Avi

Re: [MC] Diffing arbitrary versions?

Andreas.Raab
Ah, great! I had no idea. BTW, can you explain what the "diff" button
actually does? It claims to "create an equivalent version based on an
earlier release" but what exactly does that mean? (I kinda expected this
button to offer me a history where I could choose a version from for
creating a diff ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Mar 16, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Ah, great! I had no idea. BTW, can you explain what the "diff"
> button actually does? It claims to "create an equivalent version
> based on an earlier release" but what exactly does that mean? (I
> kinda expected this button to offer me a history where I could
> choose a version from for creating a diff ;-)

It should let you choose a previous version - it then creates a new
Version object that only stores the diff between that previous
version and the later one (which gets saved as a .mcd file,
not .mcz).  To do anything with the .mcd later you need to have
access to the previous version the diff is based on.

Avi