MC scripts (was: #initialize and MC)

Diego Fernández
I've the same problem with the autocategorizer...
I'm using #initialize but I think that the correct place should be
some "loading" method related to the package. (like
Application>>loaded in VAST).

I'm pretty new to MC, what is the correct way to do that.

In the Monticello Browser there is an "add postscript" but it doesn't
work, there is any way to fix that? Can I add those scripts "by hand"?

Regards,
Diego.-

PS: Damien, maybe you can refactor this in something like:
initialize
     (DPPreferenceInstaller for: self) value

So you can avoid a lot of copy&paste without subclassification

On 9/16/06, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alejandro F. Reimondo a écrit :
> > Damien,
> > Please revise why you need to initialize the class...
>
> Each subclass sets a new preference in the preference browser.
>
> Current implementation is in the super class which is abstract:
>
> DPAbstract class>>initialize
>   self isAbstract
>     ifFalse:
>       [Preferences
>         addBooleanPreference: self preferenceName
>                     category: #'dynamic protocols'
>                      default: self defaultPreferenceValue
>                  balloonHelp: 'Activates the dymamic protocol ',
>                                 self name, '.'].
>
> DPAbstract class>>preferenceName
>   ^ self name copyFrom: 3 to: self name size
>
> The preference name is taken from the name of the class without the
> first two characters.
>
> Do you have another solution ?
>

> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: MC scripts (was: #initialize and MC)

Philippe Marschall
2006/9/17, Diego Fernandez <[hidden email]>:
> I've the same problem with the autocategorizer...
> I'm using #initialize but I think that the correct place should be
> some "loading" method related to the package. (like
> Application>>loaded in VAST).
>
> I'm pretty new to MC, what is the correct way to do that.

IIRC:
SomeClass class >> #postload

> In the Monticello Browser there is an "add postscript" but it doesn't
> work, there is any way to fix that? Can I add those scripts "by hand"?

You need a matching PackageInfo version. You can try those from impara
but they are quite likely only for 3.8.

Philippe

> Regards,
> Diego.-
>
> PS: Damien, maybe you can refactor this in something like:
> initialize
>      (DPPreferenceInstaller for: self) value
>
> So you can avoid a lot of copy&paste without subclassification
>
> On 9/16/06, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Alejandro F. Reimondo a écrit :
> > > Damien,
> > > Please revise why you need to initialize the class...
> >
> > Each subclass sets a new preference in the preference browser.
> >
> > Current implementation is in the super class which is abstract:
> >
> > DPAbstract class>>initialize
> >   self isAbstract
> >     ifFalse:
> >       [Preferences
> >         addBooleanPreference: self preferenceName
> >                     category: #'dynamic protocols'
> >                      default: self defaultPreferenceValue
> >                  balloonHelp: 'Activates the dymamic protocol ',
> >                                 self name, '.'].
> >
> > DPAbstract class>>preferenceName
> >   ^ self name copyFrom: 3 to: self name size
> >
> > The preference name is taken from the name of the class without the
> > first two characters.
> >
> > Do you have another solution ?
> >

> > --
> > Damien Cassou

Re: MC scripts (was: #initialize and MC)

Bert Freudenberg
Am 17.09.2006 um 08:56 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

>> In the Monticello Browser there is an "add postscript" but it doesn't
>> work, there is any way to fix that? Can I add those scripts "by
>> hand"?
>
> You need a matching PackageInfo version. You can try those from impara
> but they are quite likely only for 3.8.

Did anything change in that area in 3.9?

- Bert -

Re: MC scripts (was: #initialize and MC)

stephane ducasse-2

On 17 sept. 06, at 16:39, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 17.09.2006 um 08:56 schrieb Philippe Marschall:
>

>>> In the Monticello Browser there is an "add postscript" but it
>>> doesn't
>>> work, there is any way to fix that? Can I add those scripts "by
>>> hand"?
>>
>> You need a matching PackageInfo version. You can try those from
>> impara
>> but they are quite likely only for 3.8.
>
> Did anything change in that area in 3.9?

no idea but I would be ready to fix that if you tell me

Stef

2006/9/17, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Am 17.09.2006 um 08:56 schrieb Philippe Marschall:
>

> >> In the Monticello Browser there is an "add postscript" but it doesn't
> >> work, there is any way to fix that? Can I add those scripts "by
> >> hand"?
> >
> > You need a matching PackageInfo version. You can try those from impara
> > but they are quite likely only for 3.8.
>
> Did anything change in that area in 3.9?

Besides Traits?

Philippe

Am 17.09.2006 um 14:38 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

>> doesn't
>> >
>> > You need a matching PackageInfo version. You can try those from
>> impara
>> > but they are quite likely only for 3.8.
>>
>> Did anything change in that area in 3.9?
>
> Besides Traits?

Well, that's why I'm asking. Merging in the impara version might work.

- Bert -

Re: MC scripts (was: #initialize and MC)

stephane ducasse-2
Who is the maintainer of PackageInfo?
I thought it was goran.

Stef