MIMEdatabase fix?

123

MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

can someone check

Thanks

MimeDB39Extensions.1.cs (4K) Download Attachment

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Filein it, then installing Seaside,
(Installer universe install: 'Seaside(2.8.3.572)'.)

=> blank screen of depth

2009/2/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> can someone check
>

> Thanks

http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Filein it, then installing Seaside,
> (Installer universe install: 'Seaside(2.8.3.572)'.)
>
> => blank screen of depth

I confirm. This is because of infinite recursion:

MIMEDocument>>type calls #contentType which calls #mimetype which
calls #type which calls...

I think that #mimetype should directly returns the instance variable 'type'

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok I will have a look.
I was probably silly

On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:31 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Hilaire Fernandes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Filein it, then installing Seaside,
>> (Installer universe install: 'Seaside(2.8.3.572)'.)
>>
>> => blank screen of depth
>
> I confirm. This is because of infinite recursion:
>
> MIMEDocument>>type calls #contentType which calls #mimetype which
> calls #type which calls...
>
> I think that #mimetype should directly returns the instance variable
> 'type'
>

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Ok I will have a look.
> I was probably silly

I'll have a look.
Apologies, got distracted by the unicode stuff...

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Michael Rueger wrote:
> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ok I will have a look.
>> I was probably silly

Well, basically the Kom package is in the old Squeak tradition of
mangling the system until it seems fit. The number and kind of
extensions all over the system make it more or less incompatible with
the MIME (and other) changes in the current Pharo image.

This is a situation we will increasingly encounter when we start to
really deliver on the promise of cleaning up the system: packages will
become incompatible to an extent that we can't -and shouldn't or rather
must not- patch around.

Polymorph is the next candidate regarding the unicode changes as it
touches the same areas of the system.

Comments?

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:26 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> Ok I will have a look.
>>> I was probably silly
>
> Well, basically the Kom package is in the old Squeak tradition of
> mangling the system until it seems fit. The number and kind of
> extensions all over the system make it more or less incompatible with
> the MIME (and other) changes in the current Pharo image.
>

> This is a situation we will increasingly encounter when we start to
> really deliver on the promise of cleaning up the system: packages will
> become incompatible to an extent that we can't -and shouldn't or
> rather
> must not- patch around.

Probably now for resetMIMEdatabase it was not an extension of anypackage
in Squeak 3.9. So can you fix that or there is something I do not
understand.

Then I think that we should first make sure that seaside can run and
after we should
really put pression on the KOM maintainer or declare that it is
incompatible with pharo
and hope that

> Polymorph is the next candidate regarding the unicode changes as it
> touches the same areas of the system.
>
> Comments?

We discussed the overriding policy of Polymorph with adrian lukas and
marcus
and normally if I remember well we should contact gary to get a much
better integration.
We really think that this is important to not have override in Pharo.
May be gary will read this one else we should launch a new thread.

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Lukas Renggli
> Then I think that we should first make sure that seaside can run and
> after we should
> really put pression on the KOM maintainer or declare that it is
> incompatible with pharo
> and hope that

Philippe reported to Giovanni that Kom does not work in Pharo. He
replied that he has no time to work on it at the moment. I hope that
somebody will jump in, because Kom is a central part of Seaside and
widely adapted for many productive applications.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Then I think that we should first make sure that seaside can run and
>> after we should
>> really put pression on the KOM maintainer or declare that it is
>> incompatible with pharo
>> and hope that
>
> Philippe reported to Giovanni that Kom does not work in Pharo. He
> replied that he has no time to work on it at the moment. I hope that
> somebody will jump in, because Kom is a central part of Seaside and
> widely adapted for many productive applications.

If everybody is ok with that we could start a forked version and make it
work on Pharo. I would volunteer to at least try to fix the problems.

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

there is a hopefully fixed version of the Kom package in the Pharo inbox.
I'm not familiar with Universes yet, so I can't easily make a modified
loader for Seaside or Pier.

There is an error in the Kom package comment, the method mimeType does
not get removed if you load the Kom package into a fresh image. It will
get removed if you update the Kom package (IIRC the way Monticello
handles these things).

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

what seasiders think?
I would be in favor to get a KOM pharo version

Stef

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> Then I think that we should first make sure that seaside can run and
>>> after we should
>>> really put pression on the KOM maintainer or declare that it is
>>> incompatible with pharo
>>> and hope that
>>
>> Philippe reported to Giovanni that Kom does not work in Pharo. He
>> replied that he has no time to work on it at the moment. I hope that
>> somebody will jump in, because Kom is a central part of Seaside and
>> widely adapted for many productive applications.
>
> If everybody is ok with that we could start a forked version and
> make it
> work on Pharo. I would volunteer to at least try to fix the problems.
>
> Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Lukas Renggli
> there is a hopefully fixed version of the Kom package in the Pharo inbox.
> I'm not familiar with Universes yet, so I can't easily make a modified
> loader for Seaside or Pier.

Is it backward compatible? Do your changes to Kom continue to work in
Squeak 3.9?

If so, we should probably publish it to the official Kom repository:
<http://www.squeaksource.com/KomWebServer>. After some testing, I can
do a new Seaside and Pier release.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Lukas Renggli
> what seasiders think?
> I would be in favor to get a KOM pharo version

Having two incompatible versions of Kom makes distribution even more
painful as it is today. I would prefer to have compatible versions if
this is possible.

Otherwise Seaside won't run on Squeak anymore, unless somebody steps
up and does all the testing, porting and integration work. We don't
have the capacity to maintain different distribution paths and ports.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> what seasiders think?
>> I would be in favor to get a KOM pharo version
>
> Having two incompatible versions of Kom makes distribution even more
> painful as it is today. I would prefer to have compatible versions if
> this is possible.

As I said, we are at or at least close to the point where we have to
make the decision which version to support. If you want to have Pharo
stay compatible with Squeak, we can just as well abandon Pharo now.
It's as simple as that.

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Michael Rueger wrote:
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> what seasiders think?
>>> I would be in favor to get a KOM pharo version
>> Having two incompatible versions of Kom makes distribution even more
>> painful as it is today. I would prefer to have compatible versions if
>> this is possible.

I will see that I can get Pharo, Kom and Squeak compatible enough for
now, no point in riding this out on principle.

Nevertheless the issue still stands, that at some point we have to make
that decision.

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Lukas Renggli
>> Having two incompatible versions of Kom makes distribution even more
>> painful as it is today. I would prefer to have compatible versions if
>> this is possible.
>
> As I said, we are at or at least close to the point where we have to
> make the decision which version to support. If you want to have Pharo
> stay compatible with Squeak, we can just as well abandon Pharo now.
> It's as simple as that.

I am not criticizing your effort to make Kom work on Pharo. I fully
agree with you that Pharo should move forward and if necessary break
backward compatibility. My question was only if this was the case with
the changes on Kom.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

johnmci
Ok, well it seems to me having KOM and pharo working is *very*
important, actually
I'm relying on that for a meeting I'm having on friday. Obviously I'll
use a version of
Pharo from last month...

Going forward you can burn all those bridges, but I'm not sure people
supporting that
other non-pharo stuff would care.

Could you have a shim layer that is loaded to respect KOM's
expectations for behaviour?
Well or otherwise built a completely new MIME system for Pharo and let
KOM continue
with the obsolete one?

On 25-Feb-09, at 10:13 AM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Michael Rueger wrote:
>>> Having two incompatible versions of Kom makes distribution even more
>>> painful as it is today. I would prefer to have compatible versions
>>> if
>>> this is possible.
>
> I will see that I can get Pharo, Kom and Squeak compatible enough for
> now, no point in riding this out on principle.
>
> Nevertheless the issue still stands, that at some point we have to
> make
> that decision.
>
> Michael

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I am not criticizing your effort to make Kom work on Pharo. I fully
> agree with you that Pharo should move forward and if necessary break
> backward compatibility. My question was only if this was the case with
> the changes on Kom.

Not in the current version.
I'm looking at it again, had some ideas this morning how to make it work
for now.

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
John M McIntosh wrote:

> Ok, well it seems to me having KOM and pharo working is *very*
> important, actually
> I'm relying on that for a meeting I'm having on friday. Obviously I'll
> use a version of
> Pharo from last month...
>
> Going forward you can burn all those bridges, but I'm not sure people
> supporting that
> other non-pharo stuff would care.
>
> Could you have a shim layer that is loaded to respect KOM's
> expectations for behaviour?
> Well or otherwise built a completely new MIME system for Pharo and let
> KOM continue
> with the obsolete one?

The changes are actually not many, but at a few critical points they
matter and Kom is very aggressive in overriding stuff.
That makes it hard coming up with an intermediate layer.
But working on it :-)

Michael

Re: MIMEdatabase fix?

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

ok, suggestion:
if we change Kom and Seaside to use the message contentType where they
expect a mime type string, then it would be easy to make it work on both
Pharo and Squeak without too much trouble.
Seaside doesn't call mimeType on many places and usage is somewhat
inconsistent right now as in
httpResponse contentType = aHandler mimeType

Comments? Suggestions?

Michael

123