MIT license info

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All,

    thans to whoever changed the front page of .  The date-based list is much mire useful than the SqueakSource-computed latest versions.  But I see "Currently the 'license' setting on SqueakSource is 'none'. That is because I do not currently have explicit word from everyone that has contributed code that I can tag the package as MIT. If you have contributed code to the VM or related tools, please email me ASAP" on the page and no mention of who "I" is and no email address :)  Perhaps whoever "I" is could add that info and I'll comply asap :)

best
Eliot

Re: MIT license info

David T. Lewis

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 09:57:29AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     thans to whoever changed the front page of .  The date-based list is
> much mire useful than the SqueakSource-computed latest versions.  But I see
> "Currently the 'license' setting on SqueakSource is 'none'. That is because
> I do not currently have explicit word from everyone that has contributed
> code that I can tag the package as MIT. If you have contributed code to the
> VM or related tools, please email me ASAP" on the page and no mention of who
> "I" is and no email address :)  Perhaps whoever "I" is could add that info
> and I'll comply asap :)

Eliot,

If you are referring to the project page for VMMaker on SqueakSource,
the person who wrote that is Tim Rowledge. Tim delegated the project
admin role to me several years ago, and I have not modified the text
of his intro message in the intervening years.

Everything newly contributed to the VMMaker project on SqueakSource
is required to be MIT licensed, and all of the folks with commit rights
to the project understand this. Tim's comment refers to the the earlier
code base, which in some cases may contain code for which licenses were
not clearly documented. It would be a good idea to better document the
licensing for all of this early code, but I expect that this may be
a substantial amount of work and I for one am not volunteering to take
it on.

Dave

Re: MIT license info

David T. Lewis

Folks,

I have updated the project description of the VMMaker project on SqueakSource
to provide a correct statement of license status. I believe this statement
to be accurate and complete based on the the updated license terms for Squeak
(Squeak 4.0 relicensing), and because the early developers of VMMaker have all
signed the Squeak license agreement, and because all subsequent contributions
are required to be MIT licensed. The reference to "portions covered by Apache 2.0"
is from the Squeak 4.0 license terms, and I included this because some portions
of the early VMMaker are likely to be covered under those terms rather than MIT.
The updated project description is:

  This package incorporates the Smalltalk source code (Slang) for the
  virtual machine, as well as the code generator and toolset for creating
  the Squeak VM portions not handwritten in C (or whatever). The platform
  support code is maintained in a separate repository (currently Subversion
  at www.squeakvm.org). You will need to use a SVN tool to acquire the
  platform support code. See the Wiki page (tab above) for more information.

  License for VMMaker is MIT with portions covered by Apache License
  Version 2.0. All new contributions to this project are licensed MIT,
  with some original content licensed under the Apache License, Version
  2.0 as described in the Squeak license statement. This licensing derives
  from the Squeak project (www.squeak.org) from which VMMaker originates.

For the record, the previous text of the project description, which was
written by Tim Rowledge prior to the Squeak relicensing, was as follows:

  This package incorporates the Slang code, code generator and toolset
  for creating the Squeak VM portions not handwritten in C (or whatever).
  You will need to use an SVN tool to acquire the C source code. See the
  Wiki page (tab above) for more info. Currently the 'license' setting on