MOOC TOC cleanup

Siemen Baader
Hi all, especially Luc, Stéphane and Damien,

the Pharo MOOC course was fantastic and I use the archived material for reference quite a lot. It is here:

https://www.fun-mooc.fr/courses/inria/41010/session01/b116d12e24ec484c984831440227ac15/

But - the English table of contents is in French, and the attached ZIP files need to be downloaded before they can be browsed. It gets quite messy. Would anyone with the required permissions be OK to:

- translate the TOC to English
- split the ZIP files into separate elements under their respective headlines that can be viewed in the browser

or

- grant me the permissions to do this work for the community?

best,
Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

stepharo

> Hi all, especially Luc, Stéphane and Damien,
>
> the Pharo MOOC course was fantastic and I use the archived material for
> reference quite a lot. It is here:
>
> https://www.fun-mooc.fr/courses/inria/41010/session01/b116d12e24ec484c984831440227ac15/
>
> But - the English table of contents is in French, and the attached ZIP files
> need to be downloaded before they can be browsed. It gets quite messy. Would
> anyone with the required permissions be OK to:
>
> - translate the TOC to English
> - split the ZIP files into separate elements under their respective
> headlines that can be viewed in the browser
>
> or
>
> - grant me the permissions to do this work for the community?

Sure.
Let me know how I can help.
I will forward your mail to christelle that manages the mooc for us

Siemen
did you see the web portal
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html (we
should add a pointer from http://mooc.pharo.org to it)
and also the http://mooc.pharo.org page? because we have the full
control on this one.
And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
the complete mooc nicely packaged.
Now if you want to help it would be great.

Stef

> best,
> Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

Siemen Baader
Hi Stef,

Sure.
Let me know how I can help.
I will forward your mail to christelle that manages the mooc for us

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hear from her.

Siemen
did you see the web portal
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html (we
should add a pointer from http://mooc.pharo.org to it)
and also the http://mooc.pharo.org page? because we have the full
control on this one.
And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
the complete mooc nicely packaged.
Now if you want to help it would be great.

Sure, we could either do it at fun-mooc.fr or mooc.pharo.org. The latter is cleaner and open to all. How do you generate it, and where is the source? I'd like to have a look.

What is the role of WebPortal?

best,
Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

stepharo

Le 3/11/16 à 18:05, Siemen Baader a écrit :
Hi Stef,

Sure.
Let me know how I can help.
I will forward your mail to christelle that manages the mooc for us

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hear from her.
She translated the page but she is busy I forwarded the email to you.

Siemen
did you see the web portal
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html (we
should add a pointer from http://mooc.pharo.org to it)
and also the http://mooc.pharo.org page? because we have the full
control on this one.
And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
the complete mooc nicely packaged.
Now if you want to help it would be great.

Sure, we could either do it at fun-mooc.fr or mooc.pharo.org. The latter is cleaner and open to all. How do you generate it, and where is the source? I'd like to have a look.
The source is on github.
    https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc-website

What is the role of WebPortal?
the idea was to propose a package to user and we were paid and forced to use this format.
I would prefer plain HTML (or even pillar).

best,
Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

Siemen Baader
Hi Stef,

I have cloned the repository and linked the slides directly from the TOC. I also have styled it with Bootstrap labels and glyphicons, and added anchors to every item to make them easily linkable, eg for discussions on the mailing list / slack.

The HTML files for the exercises refer to the directory 'support' ( http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/support ) for css and js files. I think you have missed to put the directory on the server, the links are broken. Can you upload it?

As for the videos, they require some sort of aggregation of subtitles and video, either in a separate HTML file with <video> tags, or eg. on youtube. At some point during or after the MOOC I remember the videos were in fact on youtube, with subtitles. Now they are back in the custom made player on fun-mooc.fr, which is a bit impractical because the subtitles are on the right side, slightly out of view when attending to the lecture.

Are the videos still on youtube? I could not find them again.

Would you prefer a 'full', downloadable solution with the videos and subtitles all on mooc.pharo.org? It would be relatively easy to script something that generates the html files, but it would take more time than linking to the youtube videos, and I think the playback experience on youtube would actually be better / more cross-platform.

What do you think?

best,
Siemen

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Wow, this is beautiful, well done !

> [...]
>> and also the http://mooc.pharo.org page? because we have the full
>> control on this one.
>> And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
>> the complete mooc nicely packaged.
>> Now if you want to help it would be great.
>>
>> Sure, we could either do it at fun-mooc.fr or mooc.pharo.org. The latter is cleaner and open to all. How do you generate it, and where is the source? I'd like to have a look.
> The source is on github.
>     https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc-website
>
>> What is the role of WebPortal?
> the idea was to propose a package to user and we were paid and forced to use this format.
> I would prefer plain HTML (or even pillar).
>>
>> best,
>> Siemen

>> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

Siemen Baader
On 10/11/2016, at 07.32, "Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 [via Smalltalk]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow, this is beautiful, well done !

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I like your zinc docs ;)

Siemen

> [...]
>> and also the http://mooc.pharo.org page? because we have the full
>> control on this one.
>> And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
>> the complete mooc nicely packaged.
>> Now if you want to help it would be great.
>>
>> Sure, we could either do it at fun-mooc.fr or mooc.pharo.org. The latter is cleaner and open to all. How do you generate it, and where is the source? I'd like to have a look.
> The source is on github.
>     https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc-website
>
>> What is the role of WebPortal?
> the idea was to propose a package to user and we were paid and forced to use this format.
> I would prefer plain HTML (or even pillar).
>>
>> best,
>> Siemen

>> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://forum.world.st/MOOC-TOC-cleanup-tp4921304p4922444.html
To unsubscribe from MOOC TOC cleanup, click here.
NAML

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Seems really good Siemen! Just a minor suggestion maybe you could  link to the subtitles files or some way to choose between them when the video is streaming. I would like to help with subtitles using Amara[1] with the people here in our workshops next year.

[1] https://amara.org/en/

Thanks a lot!

Offray

On 10/11/16 02:47, Siemen Baader wrote:
> [...]

>> And this is on my todo to make sure that people can get an archive with
>> the complete mooc nicely packaged.
>> Now if you want to help it would be great.
>>
>> Sure, we could either do it at fun-mooc.fr or mooc.pharo.org. The latter is cleaner and open to all. How do you generate it, and where is the source? I'd like to have a look.
> The source is on github.
>     https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc-website
>
>> What is the role of WebPortal?
> the idea was to propose a package to user and we were paid and forced to use this format.
> I would prefer plain HTML (or even pillar).
>>
>> best,
>> Siemen

>> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://forum.world.st/MOOC-TOC-cleanup-tp4921304p4922444.html
To unsubscribe from MOOC TOC cleanup, click here.

Hi Offray,

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but: the French and English subtitle files in .vtt and .srt format are already online in directories like http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Videos/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-EN/ and similar. They are linked from the main page under 'videos'. I am looking for a way to include them in the video, that would allow you to switch among them while the video is playing. As I said, this is a preview of work in progress.

What is it that you would like to help with using Amara? Integrating the subtitles or creating new ones in other languages? I'm not sure I totally understand Amara :)

cheers,
Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Siemen,

Yes I was referring to the idea of including them in the player or
linked the st files just like you do with the companions pdf and the
videos. Really good work in progress.

Thanks,

Offray

On 11/11/16 02:47, Siemen Baader wrote:

> Hi Offray,
>
> I'm not sure if this answers your question, but: the French and
> English subtitle files in .vtt and .srt format are already online in
> directories like
> http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Videos/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-EN/
> and similar. They are linked from the main page under 'videos'. I am
> looking for a way to include them in the video, that would allow you
> to switch among them while the video is playing. As I said, this is a
> preview of work in progress.
>
> What is it that you would like to help with using Amara? Integrating
> the subtitles or creating new ones in other languages? I'm not sure I
> totally understand Amara :)
>
> cheers,
> Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

stepharo

Hi siemen

Please pay attention that I have to check the following:
MoocLab which produces the mooc has a private production repository for the videos and I do not understand but the videos there are much larger there than on the http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/
I do not remember if we downloaded the videos from the official mooc web site (FUN) and that they did some preprocessing that reduced the size of the videos that they got from MoocLab.
I would need some help to see if
    - the videos on France Université Numerique are better quality than the one on http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/
Stef

Le 11/11/16 à 08:47, Siemen Baader a écrit :
[...]

Super cool :)
Tx.
I have a question why the lecture do not have a video icon too? For example for the first week.
Because now it gives the impression that we do not have videos for the lectures.

The HTML files for the exercises refer to the directory 'support' ( http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/support ) for css and js files. I think you have missed to put the directory on the server, the links are broken. Can you upload it?
We should ask damien. I will because he did it.

As for the videos, they require some sort of aggregation of subtitles and video, either in a separate HTML file with <video> tags, or eg. on youtube. At some point during or after the MOOC I remember the videos were in fact on youtube, with subtitles. Now they are back in the custom made player on fun-mooc.fr, which is a bit impractical because the subtitles are on the right side, slightly out of view when attending to the lecture.
We do not control anything on that side. This is FUN that is changing and managing all that.
This is why we should get autonomous.

Are the videos still on youtube? I could not find them again.
No ideas.
Normally they should be on canalU. I should check
and in fact we could give them all your work + our data so that they publish everything in CanalU.

Would you prefer a 'full', downloadable solution with the videos and subtitles all on mooc.pharo.org?
What do you mean?
Because since the videos are quite large in fact we have this special server.
Then the idea is that Unisciel and CanalU should distribute the Mooc.
It would be relatively easy to script something that generates the html files, but it would take more time than linking to the youtube videos, and I think the playback experience on youtube would actually be better / more cross-platform.
I do not really understand what you mean.
- for us youtube can throw away our videos we want to have a server with them
- then CanalU and Unisciel can have them - Unisciel prefers to have a webportal so we did one for them.
- I'm not a big fan of Php :) so I would like to avoid to have to maintain the WebPortal this is why
what you are doing is really cool because I would like to be able to package it and put it on large USB stick
and send it to all the teachers I know.

What do you think?
I love it :)

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM, stepharo [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a question why the lecture do not have a video icon too? For example for the first week.
Because now it gives the impression that we do not have videos for the lectures.

No, they should be there – I have just not included them yet because I didn't know which strategy we should use to embed the subtitles. There will be icons for both slides and video. And now that I have seen that there are slide.js slides I will use them instead of PDF because this is snappier in the browser.

Normally they should be on canalU. I should check
and in fact we could give them all your work + our data so that they publish everything in CanalU.

Sure.
Would you prefer a 'full', downloadable solution with the videos and subtitles all on mooc.pharo.org?
What do you mean?

See below:

 I would like to be able to package it and put it on large USB stick
and send it to all the teachers I know.

This is a cool use case. I just googled https://www.customusb.com/spin-flash-drive/, but haven't checked throughly. This means I will make individual HTML files for the videos with <video> tags and subtitles in them, and we can download all the content, open it in a web browser via the file:// protocol and use the MOOC offline.

I will make a small wget command line snippet that people can use to download the whole site recursively and put that on the bottom of the page. Like on get.pharo.org.

What do you think?
I love it :)

I'm glad to hear that ;)

-- Siemen

Re: MOOC TOC cleanup

stepharo

No, they should be there – I have just not included them yet because I didn't know which strategy we should use to embed the subtitles. There will be icons for both slides and video. And now that I have seen that there are slide.js slides I will use them instead of PDF because this is snappier in the browser.

oki

Normally they should be on canalU. I should check
and in fact we could give them all your work + our data so that they publish everything in CanalU.

Sure.
Would you prefer a 'full', downloadable solution with the videos and subtitles all on mooc.pharo.org?
What do you mean?

See below:

 I would like to be able to package it and put it on large USB stick
and send it to all the teachers I know.

This is a cool use case. I just googled https://www.customusb.com/spin-flash-drive/, but haven't checked throughly. This means I will make individual HTML files for the videos with <video> tags and subtitles in them, and we can download all the content, open it in a web browser via the <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="file://">file:// protocol and use the MOOC offline.
We will have to see because embedded the subs measn that it will be difficult to have subs in spanish and I hope that
we will have spanish speaking people can that help doing that. I cannot because I do not understand it.

But we could have different versions.

I will make a small wget command line snippet that people can use to download the whole site recursively and put that on the bottom of the page. Like on get.pharo.org.

#!/bin/bash
# Remote HTTP directorie
remote_dir=( "http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/" )
# Local mirror
local_dir=( "/home/aurelien/MOOC/http/" )

if [ ! -d "$local_dir" ]; then
mkdir -p "$local_dir"
fi

cd "$local_dir"
wget -m "$remote_dir" --no-parent -nH --cut-dir=1 -R index.html*

What do you think?
I love it :)

I'm glad to hear that ;)

-- Siemen