MPEG-4 support?

Andreas.Raab
Hi -

Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/Squeak
what would good options look like? Any ideas about available libraries,
pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all worlds an open source
solution would of course be preferable but it would be useful to know
and evaluate other alternatives, too.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: MPEG-4 support?

Chris Barham
On 10/31/06, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/Squeak
> what would good options look like? Any ideas about available libraries,
> pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all worlds an open source
> solution would of course be preferable but it would be useful to know
> and evaluate other alternatives, too.

Apple Quicktime?
Squeak code at: http://home.comcast.net/~zurgle/quicktim.htm
Apple API docs at http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/

Chris

Re: MPEG-4 support?

Hans-Martin Mosner
Chris Barham schrieb:

> On 10/31/06, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/Squeak
>> what would good options look like? Any ideas about available libraries,
>> pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all worlds an open source
>> solution would of course be preferable but it would be useful to know
>> and evaluate other alternatives, too.
>
> Apple Quicktime?
What about Linux users?
Are there open source MPEG-4 implementations? (I don't have the time now
to check, need to go to work, but probably folks here just know about
some package).

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re[2]: MPEG-4 support?

Andres Valloud-2
Hello Hans-Martin,

Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 12:30:20 AM, you wrote:

HMM> Are there open source MPEG-4 implementations? (I don't have the
HMM> time now to check, need to go to work, but probably folks here
HMM> just know about some package).

DivX offers generic decompression of mpeg-4, and DivX is the more
commercial sibling of xvid.  Therefore, I wonder if xvid offers
generic mpeg-4 decompression as well.  Doesn't xvid come with a
reasonable license?  (I don't know)

--
Best regards,
 Andres                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: MPEG-4 support?

karl-8
Andreas Raab skrev:

> Hi -
>
> Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in
> Croquet/Squeak what would good options look like? Any ideas about
> available libraries, pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of
> all worlds an open source solution would of course be preferable but
> it would be useful to know and evaluate other alternatives, too.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

www.videolan.org is a pretty good gpl player that play mpeg4.

Karl

Re: MPEG-4 support?

Enno Schwass

Am 31.10.2006 um 03:04 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Hi -
>
> Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/
> Squeak what would good options look like? Any ideas about available
> libraries, pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all
> worlds an open source solution would of course be preferable but it
> would be useful to know and evaluate other alternatives, too.

The mplayer / mencoder stuff is multiplatform (linux, mac, win) and
uses libavcodec, ffmpeg etc. and non native codecs. Look at the
source or contact the authors. They will support, I guess. Same for
the vlc Project.

www.mplayerhq.hu

www.videolan.org

Hope this helps
Enno

Re: MPEG-4 support?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Enno Schwass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.10.2006 um 03:04 schrieb Andreas Raab:
> > Hi -
> >
> > Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/
> > Squeak what would good options look like? Any ideas about available
> > libraries, pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all
> > worlds an open source solution would of course be preferable but it
> > would be useful to know and evaluate other alternatives, too.
>
> The mplayer / mencoder stuff is multiplatform (linux, mac, win) and
> uses libavcodec, ffmpeg etc. and non native codecs. Look at the
> source or contact the authors. They will support, I guess. Same for
> the vlc Project.
>
> www.mplayerhq.hu
>
> www.videolan.org
>
> Hope this helps
> Enno

Adding more info, yes, AFAIK MPlayer and Videolan are the two cross
platform main "player" applications/projects out there that have very
good support for MPEG-4 (which is a very wide area of standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG4) and lots more.

The movies from OOPSLA were encoded using mencoder (a part of MPlayer to
do command line encoding) btw, 2-pass using the XviD codec:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid
        http://www.xvid.org

...which is one of the MPEG-4 codecs (and compatible with Divx - the
commercial sibling). The best MPEG-4 codec that keeps getting mentioned
(but haven't used myself) is the implementation of MPEG-4 part 10
(called H.264: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264) called x264:

        http://www.videolan.org/x264.html
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

And the two players mentioned above can AFAIK use XviD, x264, libavcodec
(a whole library of codecs) and many more.

But anyway, I presume you want to hook into the most promising player in
order to be as future proof as possible - and Videolan comes to mind
given its stronger focus on cross platformness (just my feeling).

regards, Göran

Re: MPEG-4 support?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Andreas Raab puso en su mail :

> Hi -
>
> Brief question: If one would want to integrate MPEG-4 in Croquet/Squeak
> what would good options look like? Any ideas about available libraries,
> pain of interfacing those, etc? In the best of all worlds an open source
> solution would of course be preferable but it would be useful to know
> and evaluate other alternatives, too.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Sure you know this link

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

I using the OS X port, I copy from the software

> ffmpegX is a software interface providing a graphical way of operating
> existing, third-party Unix tools listed hereafter, without needing to type
> command lines in terminal.  Graphical controls are sent programmatically to
> such external components developed by third parties and running outside the
> ffmpegX application.

And I say is more powerful what QuickTime.

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Re: MPEG-4 support? (licensing dragons).

Jim Gettys-3
Here be licensing dragons, folks, at a minimum when you go from one
codec to N codecs.

Be very careful on the selection of multimedia codec frameworks, as
they get you into licensing hades more often than not, and many people
don't see it coming.

Here's the problem:

You want to plug in a commercial licensed codec into a codec framework,
to get at a patented algorithm (of which there are many in the media
area, and software patents cannot, unfortunately, just be ignored,
despite most of our beliefs the current system is badly broken)

But the license of the framework's codec interface has terms that
conflict with the commercial codec's license terms (typically around
patent issues).

Net result: no legal combination.

This may be ok from an end user's point of view when they put their
system together out of pieces, as they usually ignore the legal
problems, but it is a showstopper for re-distributors (e.g. Linux
distributions, OLPC downstream consumers), who might like/need things to
work "out of the box" for the end user.

As an example of lack of care about this is the Xine player libraries,
which would have been perfectly adequate several years before the
gstreamer library was built.  Gstreamer was explicitly written and care
taken in its licensing to allow for such combinations to be possible,
and arguably would not have been necessary had the licensing issue been
thought through in advance (it was infeasible to get Xine's libraries
re-licensed, due to the number of contributors).

I have no information about mplayer's licensing situation.

Once burned (actually, free software has been burned multiple times on
this topic), twice shy.  Please be *very* careful in this area so you
(and we) don't get burned too.
                                    Best regards,
                                       - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child

Re: MPEG-4 support? (licensing dragons).

Brad Fuller
Jim Gettys wrote:

> Here be licensing dragons, folks, at a minimum when you go from one
> codec to N codecs.
>
> Be very careful on the selection of multimedia codec frameworks, as
> they get you into licensing hades more often than not, and many people
> don't see it coming.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> You want to plug in a commercial licensed codec into a codec framework,
> to get at a patented algorithm (of which there are many in the media
> area, and software patents cannot, unfortunately, just be ignored,
> despite most of our beliefs the current system is badly broken)
>
> But the license of the framework's codec interface has terms that
> conflict with the commercial codec's license terms (typically around
> patent issues).
>
> Net result: no legal combination.
>
> This may be ok from an end user's point of view when they put their
> system together out of pieces, as they usually ignore the legal
> problems, but it is a showstopper for re-distributors (e.g. Linux
> distributions, OLPC downstream consumers), who might like/need things to
> work "out of the box" for the end user.
>
> As an example of lack of care about this is the Xine player libraries,
> which would have been perfectly adequate several years before the
> gstreamer library was built.  Gstreamer was explicitly written and care
> taken in its licensing to allow for such combinations to be possible,
> and arguably would not have been necessary had the licensing issue been
> thought through in advance (it was infeasible to get Xine's libraries
> re-licensed, due to the number of contributors).
>
> I have no information about mplayer's licensing situation.
>
> Once burned (actually, free software has been burned multiple times on
> this topic), twice shy.  Please be *very* careful in this area so you
> (and we) don't get burned too.
>                                     Best regards,
>                                        - Jim

Thanks Jim. Do you have recommendations on what to do?

brad

Re: MPEG-4 support? (licensing dragons).

Andreas.Raab
Hi Jim -

Thanks for the pointing out the issues. My current inquiry is actually
unrelated to OLPC but since there might be some overlap it's useful to
know these issues. What libraries/frameworks would you recommend using?
You mention GStreamer, how mature is it?

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Jim Gettys wrote:

> Here be licensing dragons, folks, at a minimum when you go from one
> codec to N codecs.
>
> Be very careful on the selection of multimedia codec frameworks, as
> they get you into licensing hades more often than not, and many people
> don't see it coming.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> You want to plug in a commercial licensed codec into a codec framework,
> to get at a patented algorithm (of which there are many in the media
> area, and software patents cannot, unfortunately, just be ignored,
> despite most of our beliefs the current system is badly broken)
>
> But the license of the framework's codec interface has terms that
> conflict with the commercial codec's license terms (typically around
> patent issues).
>
> Net result: no legal combination.
>
> This may be ok from an end user's point of view when they put their
> system together out of pieces, as they usually ignore the legal
> problems, but it is a showstopper for re-distributors (e.g. Linux
> distributions, OLPC downstream consumers), who might like/need things to
> work "out of the box" for the end user.
>
> As an example of lack of care about this is the Xine player libraries,
> which would have been perfectly adequate several years before the
> gstreamer library was built.  Gstreamer was explicitly written and care
> taken in its licensing to allow for such combinations to be possible,
> and arguably would not have been necessary had the licensing issue been
> thought through in advance (it was infeasible to get Xine's libraries
> re-licensed, due to the number of contributors).
>
> I have no information about mplayer's licensing situation.
>
> Once burned (actually, free software has been burned multiple times on
> this topic), twice shy.  Please be *very* careful in this area so you
> (and we) don't get burned too.
>                                     Best regards,
>                                        - Jim

Re:[croquet] MPEG-4 support? (licensing dragons).

Jim Gettys wrote:

> Here be licensing dragons, folks, at a minimum when you go from one
> codec to N codecs.
>
> Be very careful on the selection of multimedia codec frameworks, as
> they get you into licensing hades more often than not, and many people
> don't see it coming.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> You want to plug in a commercial licensed codec into a codec framework,
> to get at a patented algorithm (of which there are many in the media
> area, and software patents cannot, unfortunately, just be ignored,
> despite most of our beliefs the current system is badly broken)
>
> But the license of the framework's codec interface has terms that
> conflict with the commercial codec's license terms (typically around
> patent issues).
>
> Net result: no legal combination.
>
> This may be ok from an end user's point of view when they put their
> system together out of pieces, as they usually ignore the legal
> problems, but it is a showstopper for re-distributors (e.g. Linux
> distributions, OLPC downstream consumers), who might like/need things to
> work "out of the box" for the end user.
>
> As an example of lack of care about this is the Xine player libraries,
> which would have been perfectly adequate several years before the
> gstreamer library was built.  Gstreamer was explicitly written and care
> taken in its licensing to allow for such combinations to be possible,
> and arguably would not have been necessary had the licensing issue been
> thought through in advance (it was infeasible to get Xine's libraries
> re-licensed, due to the number of contributors).
>
> I have no information about mplayer's licensing situation.
>
> Once burned (actually, free software has been burned multiple times on
> this topic), twice shy.  Please be *very* careful in this area so you
> (and we) don't get burned too.
>                                     Best regards,
>                                        - Jim

Re: MPEG-4 support? (licensing dragons).

Jim Gettys-3
Gstreamer was deliberately written to avoid these problems: net result
is that you can use a legal, paid up MP3 binary codec (for which the
source is also available) from Fluendo (though you still have to deal
with signing paper with Fluendo to redistribute, according to
Fraunhofer's license).  It is LGPL, with some sort of exception worked
out, that I didn't find in cursory exampination.

Real's Helix framework is probably also on sound legal footing, but has
little uptake it the open source and free software community. I haven't
checked it's terms.

We're using gstreamer on the OLPC system.
                               Regards,
                                   - Jim

--
Jim Gettys