MVC debugging

123

Re: MVC debugging

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 02:49:21AM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/8/2010 1:54 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > On 9/7/2010 7:57 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >> I can't reproduce this. Are you able to get a debugger to open under
> >> MVC at this point?
> >
> > Yes. I would have posted this earlier but I had an unexpected dinner and don't feel quite capable of doing this now
> > (hick!).
> >
> >> Specifically, I changed Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:
> >> to call #searchForActiveControllerNoTerminate, where #searchForActiveControllerNoTerminate
> >> is a copy of #searchForActiveController with the #terminateActive removed.
> >> I'm not seeing any difference in behavior, so I must be missing a step
> >> in the recipe.
> >
> > All right, I'm attaching the changes I have so far unreviewed. With these changes I've been able to debug just fine
> > except from the case of handling a user interrupt which doesn't quite work yet. If you want to try this out, give it a
> > shot, if not, I'll try to make headway tomorrow night. Right now I need some sleep :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   - Andreas
> >

> I also did a little debugging, and I now think that the two main issues are:
> 1 the code to open the debugger is inside WorldState addDeferredUiMessage: [], even for MVC, which will probably never
> get executed
> 2 MVCTooBuilder was supposed to openNoTerminate (not open, which terminates the previous UI process) when called from
> the debugger code

With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.

This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
to correctly spot it).

The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).

Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.

Dave

> [...]
>                 title asString, '.
>     Debugger error: ',
>                 ([ex description] on: Error do: ['a ', ex class printString]), ':'
>         ]
>     ].
>     process suspend.
> ! !
>

> !MVCToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:39'!
> open1: anObject
>     "Build and open the object. Answer the widget opened."
>     | window |
>     window := self build: anObject.
>     window controller openNoTerminate.
>     ^window! !
>
> !MVCToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:41'!
> open1: anObject label: aString
>     "Build an open the object, labeling it appropriately.  Answer the widget opened."
>     | window |
>     window := self build: anObject.
>     window label: aString.
>     window controller openNoTerminate.
>     ^window! !
>
> !MVCToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:22'!
> open: anObject
>     "Build and open the object. Answer the widget opened."
>     | window |
>     window := self build: anObject.
>     window controller open.
>     ^window! !
>
> !MVCToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:23'!
> open: anObject label: aString
>     "Build an open the object, labeling it appropriately.  Answer the widget opened."
>     | window |
>     window := self build: anObject.
>     window label: aString.
>     window controller open.
>     ^window! !
>

> !MorphicToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:39'!
> open1: anObject
>     "Build and open the object. Answer the widget opened."
>     | morph |
>     anObject isMorph
>         ifTrue:[morph := anObject]
>         ifFalse:[morph := self build: anObject].
>     (morph isKindOf: MenuMorph)
>         ifTrue:[morph popUpInWorld: World].
>     (morph isKindOf: SystemWindow)
>         ifTrue:[morph openInWorldExtent: morph extent]
>         ifFalse:[morph openInWorld].
>     ^morph! !
>
> !MorphicToolBuilder methodsFor: 'opening' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 01:41'!
> open1: anObject label: aString
>     "Build an open the object, labeling it appropriately.  Answer the widget opened."
>     | window |
>     window := self open: anObject.
>     window setLabel: aString.
>     ^window! !
>

> !ToolBuilder class methodsFor: 'accessing' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 02:28'!
> default: aToolBuilder
>     "Set a new default tool builder"
>     aToolBuilder isNil ifTrue: [Processor activeProcess debug].
>     Default := aToolBuilder.! !
>
> !ToolBuilder class methodsFor: 'instance creation' stamp: 'fm 9/8/2010 02:10'!
> open1: aClass label: aString
>     ^self default open1: aClass label: aString! !

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/9/2010 9:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 02:49:21AM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>> Yes. I would have posted this earlier but I had an unexpected dinner and don't feel quite capable of doing this now
>>> (hick!).

>>> All right, I'm attaching the changes I have so far unreviewed. With these changes I've been able to debug just fine
>>> except from the case of handling a user interrupt which doesn't quite work yet. If you want to try this out, give it a
>>> shot, if not, I'll try to make headway tomorrow night. Right now I need some sleep :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   - Andreas
>>>

>> I also did a little debugging, and I now think that the two main issues are:
>> 1 the code to open the debugger is inside WorldState addDeferredUiMessage: [], even for MVC, which will probably never
>> get executed
>> 2 MVCTooBuilder was supposed to openNoTerminate (not open, which terminates the previous UI process) when called from
>> the debugger code
>
> With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
> added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
> The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
> unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
> methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
>
> This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
> ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
> to correctly spot it).
>
> The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
> although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
> as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
> I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
> and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
>
> Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
> if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.
>
> Dave

I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)

But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).

I also noticed a different mvc bug. The inspector has an explore menu option in mvc, but if you click on it, it invokes
morphic code - I don't know if the explorer is morphic-only and the menu should just be removed or if it's a different
issue. Maybe there are some other such cleanup opportunities

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Andreas.Raab
On 9/9/2010 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
> added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
> The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
> unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
> methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
>
> This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
> ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
> to correctly spot it).
>
> The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
> although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
> as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
> I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
> and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
>
> Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
> if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.

Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I
don't like to expose a concept that is only applicable to MVC via the
ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the
only difference between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are
simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the case, I think
we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via
ToolBuilder. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 1:55 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/9/2010 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
>> added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
>> The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
>> unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
>> methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
>>
>> This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
>> ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
>> to correctly spot it).
>>
>> The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
>> although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
>> as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
>> I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
>> and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
>>
>> Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
>> if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.
>
> Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I don't like to expose a concept that is only
> applicable to MVC via the ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the only difference
> between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the
> case, I think we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via ToolBuilder. Any reason that
> wouldn't work?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Yes. The common case is open (the one that needs terminating the active process), not openNoTerminate, which is limited
to the debugger. This means that you would push those calls in a lot of places, plus they would need to be guarded by
unseemly checks if you are in morphic or not

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Andreas.Raab
On 9/9/2010 11:34 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>   On 9/10/2010 1:55 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I don't like to expose a concept that is only
>> applicable to MVC via the ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the only difference
>> between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the
>> case, I think we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via ToolBuilder. Any reason that
>> wouldn't work?
>
> Yes. The common case is open (the one that needs terminating the active process), not openNoTerminate, which is limited
> to the debugger. This means that you would push those calls in a lot of places, plus they would need to be guarded by
> unseemly checks if you are in morphic or not

Thanks for the info. Could we maybe turn this around along the lines of,
say:

        [ScheduledControllers scheduleActive: aController] fork.

i.e., forking in the case where terminating the controller isn't desirable?

BTW, (showing my lack of MVC knowledge) I'm not sure I understand the
issue to begin with. Why is it that for "regular" views it's okay to
terminate the active process, but not for the debugger? We don't seem to
be having such issues with Morphic, but we *do* call
Project>>spawnNewProcessIfThisUI: etc. Could we possibly utilize this
hook to fork a proper controller process in MVC? I'm obviously missing
something big time here, so bear with me and my stoopid questions :-)

Cheers,
   - Amndreas

Re: MVC debugging

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 11:51:32PM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/9/2010 9:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> >> I also did a little debugging, and I now think that the two main issues are:
> >> 1 the code to open the debugger is inside WorldState addDeferredUiMessage: [], even for MVC, which will probably never
> >> get executed
> >> 2 MVCTooBuilder was supposed to openNoTerminate (not open, which terminates the previous UI process) when called from
> >> the debugger code
> >
> > With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You have
> > added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of MVC.
> > The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but it's
> > unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by several
> > methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
> >
> > This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
> > ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first person
> > to correctly spot it).
> >
> > The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to #openNoTerminate,
> > although I think it might be cleaner to add ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
> > as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder implementations.
> > I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox (ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
> > and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
> >
> > Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox and say
> > if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)
>
> But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
> integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
> There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
> debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
> debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).

Well, we still have some work to do to get ControlManager>>interruptName:preemptedProcess:
working right. Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041
but the basic idea is that all four of the following should be interruptable:

   "[true] whileTrue"
   "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
   "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
   "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"

I spent some time trying to get this working last night, but have not yet
come up with a solution. The basic idea is if the low space interrupt watcher
process has called #interruptName:preemptedProcess: passing it theInterruptedProcess,
then we want the debugger to open on theInterruptedProcess rather than on
activeControllerProcess. This is a bit tricky to debug for obvious reasons ;)

Dave

> I also noticed a different mvc bug. The inspector has an explore menu option in mvc, but if you click on it, it invokes
> morphic code - I don't know if the explorer is morphic-only and the menu should just be removed or if it's a different
> issue. Maybe there are some other such cleanup opportunities
>
> Florin

Re: MVC debugging

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:55:03PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/9/2010 6:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >With regards to #2 (MVCToolBuilder should use #openNoTerminate), aha! You
> >have
> >added the #open1:label: methods that call #openNoTerminate in the case of
> >MVC.
> >The #openNoTerminate method has been in the image since at least 1997, but
> >it's
> >unreferenced in Squeak now. In Squeak 3.8 and earlier it was called by
> >several
> >methods, including Debugger>>openFullNoSuspendLabel:.
> >
> >This does seem to be something that went missing due to some incomplete MVC
> >ToolBuilder implementation (no surprise, but I think you are the first
> >person
> >to correctly spot it).
> >
> >The #open1:label: methods in your change set implement the calls to
> >#openNoTerminate,
> >although I think it might be cleaner to add
> >ToolBuilder>>open:label:terminateActive:
> >as this avoids the need to provide Morphic or other ToolBuilder
> >implementations.
> >I put an implementation of this for review in the inbox
> >(ToolBuilder-Kernel-dtl.37
> >and ToolBuilder-MVC-dtl.21).
> >
> >Andreas, when you get a chance can you have a look at these in the inbox
> >and say
> >if they should be included in ToolBuilder? Thanks.
>
> Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I
> don't like to expose a concept that is only applicable to MVC via the
> ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the
> only difference between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are
> simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the case, I think
> we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via
> ToolBuilder. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Agreed, it would be better not to add this to the ToolBuilder API if
possible. In principle, ToolBuilder should only need to know about building
things, not scheduling them.

Dave

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 3:22 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/9/2010 11:34 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>   On 9/10/2010 1:55 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Sure. One thing I'm not sure about is this terminateActive: thingie. I don't like to expose a concept that is only
>>> applicable to MVC via the ToolBuilder APIs. So I'm wondering - poking in MVC it appears that the only difference
>>> between those xxxNoTerminate and the other variants are simply a call to Processor terminateActive. If that's the
>>> case, I think we should push these calls to the senders instead of exposing them via ToolBuilder. Any reason that
>>> wouldn't work?
>>
>> Yes. The common case is open (the one that needs terminating the active process), not openNoTerminate, which is limited
>> to the debugger. This means that you would push those calls in a lot of places, plus they would need to be guarded by
>> unseemly checks if you are in morphic or not
>
> Thanks for the info. Could we maybe turn this around along the lines of, say:
>
>     [ScheduledControllers scheduleActive: aController] fork.
>
> i.e., forking in the case where terminating the controller isn't desirable?
>
> BTW, (showing my lack of MVC knowledge) I'm not sure I understand the issue to begin with. Why is it that for
> "regular" views it's okay to terminate the active process, but not for the debugger? We don't seem to be having such
> issues with Morphic, but we *do* call Project>>spawnNewProcessIfThisUI: etc. Could we possibly utilize this hook to
> fork a proper controller process in MVC? I'm obviously missing something big time here, so bear with me and my stoopid
> questions :-)
>
> Cheers,
>   - Amndreas

What we want to make sure (in the general case) is not so much that we kill the active process but the
activeControllerProcess. We want to make sure that one and only one controller (or screen) loop (ui process) runs at all
times. The debugger is different in the sense that it only wants to suspend activeControllerProcess in cases when
activeControllerProcess is the debugged process. It does want to terminate it otherwise (then the debugger behaves as a
"normal" ui controller). There are probably many different ways to achieve this. E.g. a lot of these scheduling methods
in VW are guarded with a "activeControllerProcess notNil and: [activeControllerProcess == Processor activeProcess]". The
same check is constantly done in the controller loop. Squeak doesn't have these checks, so it works with a lot of
assumptions about which methods are called when.

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 9:03 AM, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/10/2010 3:22 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Yes. The common case is open (the one that needs terminating the active process), not openNoTerminate, which is limited
>>> to the debugger. This means that you would push those calls in a lot of places, plus they would need to be guarded by
>>> unseemly checks if you are in morphic or not
>> Thanks for the info. Could we maybe turn this around along the lines of, say:
>>
>>     [ScheduledControllers scheduleActive: aController] fork.
>>
>> i.e., forking in the case where terminating the controller isn't desirable?
>>
>> BTW, (showing my lack of MVC knowledge) I'm not sure I understand the issue to begin with. Why is it that for
>> "regular" views it's okay to terminate the active process, but not for the debugger? We don't seem to be having such
>> issues with Morphic, but we *do* call Project>>spawnNewProcessIfThisUI: etc. Could we possibly utilize this hook to
>> fork a proper controller process in MVC? I'm obviously missing something big time here, so bear with me and my stoopid
>> questions :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Amndreas
>>

> What we want to make sure (in the general case) is not so much that we kill the active process but the
> activeControllerProcess. We want to make sure that one and only one controller (or screen) loop (ui process) runs at all
> times. The debugger is different in the sense that it only wants to suspend activeControllerProcess in cases when
> activeControllerProcess is the debugged process. It does want to terminate it otherwise (then the debugger behaves as a
> "normal" ui controller). There are probably many different ways to achieve this. E.g. a lot of these scheduling methods
> in VW are guarded with a "activeControllerProcess notNil and: [activeControllerProcess == Processor activeProcess]". The
> same check is constantly done in the controller loop. Squeak doesn't have these checks, so it works with a lot of
> assumptions about which methods are called when.
>
> Florin

Just trying to be more clear:

The debugger is different in the sense that, while it does take over as the activeController upon its open, it only wants to suspend the previously running activeControllerProcess in those cases when
the previously running activeControllerProcess is the process under debug

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 9:16 AM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
> The debugger is different in the sense that, while it does take over as the activeController upon its open, it only wants to suspend the previously running activeControllerProcess in those cases when
> the previously running activeControllerProcess is the process under debug
Sorry about all these self-replies. I just wanted to make one more edit before I run to work, because I think it is
important documentation:

What we want to make sure, in the general case, is not so much that we kill the active process but the currently running
activeControllerProcess, and allow the newly created controller loop to become the new activeControllerProcess. We want
to make sure that one and only one controller (or screen) loop (ui process) runs at all times (except very briefly
during transitions from one ui process to the other).

The debugger is different in the sense that, while it does take over as the activeController upon its open, in those
cases when the currently running activeControllerProcess is the process under debug, it only wants to suspend it.
It does want to terminate the currently running activeControllerProcess otherwise (then the debugger behaves like any
other "normal" ui controller).

There are probably many different ways to achieve this. E.g. a lot of these scheduling methods in VW are guarded with a
"activeControllerProcess notNil and: [activeControllerProcess == Processor activeProcess]". The same check is constantly
done in the controller loop. Squeak doesn't have these checks, so it works with a lot of assumptions about which methods
are called from which processes

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Andreas.Raab
Hi Florin -

Thanks for all the info. Reading through it, it sounds to me that the
real "specialty" here is opening a debugger. Which seems quite
reasonable to me because debuggers have special needs. So maybe we
should add a specific open method to ToolBuilder that is specifically
used for opening debuggers? I.e., something like:

ToolBuilder>>openDebugger: aSpec
        "Build and open a debugger from the given spec.
        Answer the widget opened. Subclasses can override this
        method if opening a debugger has specific requirements
        different from opening other widgets."

        ^self open: aSpec

And then MVCToolBuilder can implement the appropriate open method. This
would make the interface more intentional, i.e.,describing what are we
trying to do (open a debugger), instead of describing how we do it (not
terminating the MVC scheduler process).

What do you think?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

 On 9/10/2010 12:13 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Florin -
>
> Thanks for all the info. Reading through it, it sounds to me that the real "specialty" here is opening a debugger.
> Which seems quite reasonable to me because debuggers have special needs. So maybe we should add a specific open method
> to ToolBuilder that is specifically used for opening debuggers? I.e., something like:
>
> ToolBuilder>>openDebugger: aSpec
>     "Build and open a debugger from the given spec.
>     Answer the widget opened. Subclasses can override this
>     method if opening a debugger has specific requirements
>     different from opening other widgets."
>
>     ^self open: aSpec
>
> And then MVCToolBuilder can implement the appropriate open method. This would make the interface more intentional,
> i.e.,describing what are we trying to do (open a debugger), instead of describing how we do it (not terminating the
> MVC scheduler process).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

> On 9/10/2010 6:37 AM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>   On 9/10/2010 9:16 AM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>> The debugger is different in the sense that, while it does take over as the activeController upon its open, it only
>>> wants to suspend the previously running activeControllerProcess in those cases when
>>> the previously running activeControllerProcess is the process under debug
>> Sorry about all these self-replies. I just wanted to make one more edit before I run to work, because I think it is
>> important documentation:
>>

>> What we want to make sure, in the general case, is not so much that we kill the active process but the currently running
>> activeControllerProcess, and allow the newly created controller loop to become the new activeControllerProcess. We want
>> to make sure that one and only one controller (or screen) loop (ui process) runs at all times (except very briefly
>> during transitions from one ui process to the other).
>>
>> The debugger is different in the sense that, while it does take over as the activeController upon its open, in those
>> cases when the currently running activeControllerProcess is the process under debug, it only wants to suspend it.
>> It does want to terminate the currently running activeControllerProcess otherwise (then the debugger behaves like any
>> other "normal" ui controller).
>>
>> There are probably many different ways to achieve this. E.g. a lot of these scheduling methods in VW are guarded with a
>> "activeControllerProcess notNil and: [activeControllerProcess == Processor activeProcess]". The same check is constantly
>> done in the controller loop. Squeak doesn't have these checks, so it works with a lot of assumptions about which methods
>> are called from which processes
>>

>> Florin

What!? You don't like my meaning-conveying open1 ? :)

Seriously now, I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do have a slight reservation. The 'debugger' part of the
name is more the 'what for' than the 'what' of what we are doing. There could be other clients that want to use the same
thing: in VW there is SyntaxError, which is not quite a debugger. Furthermore, from the point of view of an MVC
developer there is already a known protocol 'open', which the toolBuilder implements, as well as a protocol
openNoTerminate. Now granted, for the Morphic developer this is not as intuitive.

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 7:48 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)
>
> But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
> integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
> There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
> debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
> debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).
> Well, we still have some work to do to get ControlManager>>interruptName:preemptedProcess:
> working right. Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041
> but the basic idea is that all four of the following should be interruptable:
>
>    "[true] whileTrue"
>    "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>    "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
>    "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>
> I spent some time trying to get this working last night, but have not yet
> come up with a solution. The basic idea is if the low space interrupt watcher
> process has called #interruptName:preemptedProcess: passing it theInterruptedProcess,
> then we want the debugger to open on theInterruptedProcess rather than on
> activeControllerProcess. This is a bit tricky to debug for obvious reasons ;)
>
> Dave

Of course that if we pass the preempted process, we have to honor that request.
But I am not sure if I understand correctly. If I have a runaway non-ui process, I don't think that the user interrupt
should try to find it and interrupt it. I think user interrupt is and should be dedicated to the ui process. Now once
you open a debugger, you can have a list of currently running processes from which you can select and debug.

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Andreas.Raab
On 9/10/2010 6:26 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
> What!? You don't like my meaning-conveying open1 ? :)

He, he :-)

> Seriously now, I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do have a slight reservation. The 'debugger' part of the
> name is more the 'what for' than the 'what' of what we are doing. There could be other clients that want to use the same
> thing: in VW there is SyntaxError, which is not quite a debugger. Furthermore, from the point of view of an MVC
> developer there is already a known protocol 'open', which the toolBuilder implements, as well as a protocol
> openNoTerminate. Now granted, for the Morphic developer this is not as intuitive.

Well, we could do openNoTerminate but I find it just a little opaque.
But I'm good with either one; your's and David's call, just let me know
which way you prefer.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 11:08 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/10/2010 6:26 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>> What!? You don't like my meaning-conveying open1 ? :)
>
> He, he :-)
>
>> Seriously now, I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do have a slight reservation. The 'debugger' part of the
>> name is more the 'what for' than the 'what' of what we are doing. There could be other clients that want to use the same
>> thing: in VW there is SyntaxError, which is not quite a debugger. Furthermore, from the point of view of an MVC
>> developer there is already a known protocol 'open', which the toolBuilder implements, as well as a protocol
>> openNoTerminate. Now granted, for the Morphic developer this is not as intuitive.
>
> Well, we could do openNoTerminate but I find it just a little opaque. But I'm good with either one; your's and David's
> call, just let me know which way you prefer.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

As I said, I also don't have a strong opinion, so it's up to Dave

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/10/2010 9:33 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/10/2010 7:48 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)
>>
>> But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
>> integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
>> There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
>> debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
>> debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).
>> Well, we still have some work to do to get ControlManager>>interruptName:preemptedProcess:
>> working right. Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041
>> but the basic idea is that all four of the following should be interruptable:
>>
>>    "[true] whileTrue"
>>    "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>>    "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
>>    "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>>
>> I spent some time trying to get this working last night, but have not yet
>> come up with a solution. The basic idea is if the low space interrupt watcher
>> process has called #interruptName:preemptedProcess: passing it theInterruptedProcess,
>> then we want the debugger to open on theInterruptedProcess rather than on
>> activeControllerProcess. This is a bit tricky to debug for obvious reasons ;)
>>
>> Dave
>>
> Of course that if we pass the preempted process, we have to honor that request.
> But I am not sure if I understand correctly. If I have a runaway non-ui process, I don't think that the user interrupt
> should try to find it and interrupt it. I think user interrupt is and should be dedicated to the ui process. Now once
> you open a debugger, you can have a list of currently running processes from which you can select and debug.
>
> Florin

Ok, with the current changeset you can interrupt "[true] whileTrue" or "Smalltalk createStackOverflow", and if you let
"Smalltalk createStackOverflow" run, it will trigger the low space watcher and you can then recover.

For interrupting processes running at higher priority I think the appropriate solution is not the debugger but an
emergency evaluator running at an even higher priority

Florin

Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc
 On 9/11/2010 1:42 AM, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/10/2010 9:33 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>  On 9/10/2010 7:48 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>> I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)
>>>
>>> But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
>>> integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
>>> There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
>>> debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
>>> debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).
>>> Well, we still have some work to do to get ControlManager>>interruptName:preemptedProcess:
>>> working right. Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041
>>> but the basic idea is that all four of the following should be interruptable:
>>>
>>>    "[true] whileTrue"
>>>    "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>>>    "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
>>>    "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
>>>
>>> I spent some time trying to get this working last night, but have not yet
>>> come up with a solution. The basic idea is if the low space interrupt watcher
>>> process has called #interruptName:preemptedProcess: passing it theInterruptedProcess,
>>> then we want the debugger to open on theInterruptedProcess rather than on
>>> activeControllerProcess. This is a bit tricky to debug for obvious reasons ;)
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Of course that if we pass the preempted process, we have to honor that request.
>> But I am not sure if I understand correctly. If I have a runaway non-ui process, I don't think that the user interrupt
>> should try to find it and interrupt it. I think user interrupt is and should be dedicated to the ui process. Now once
>> you open a debugger, you can have a list of currently running processes from which you can select and debug.
>>
>> Florin
>>

> Ok, with the current changeset you can interrupt "[true] whileTrue" or "Smalltalk createStackOverflow", and if you let
> "Smalltalk createStackOverflow" run, it will trigger the low space watcher and you can then recover.
>
> For interrupting processes running at higher priority I think the appropriate solution is not the debugger but an
> emergency evaluator running at an even higher priority
>
> Florin

Oops, forgot the changeset

Unnamed1.3.cs (7K) Download Attachment

Re: MVC debugging

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:41:13PM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/10/2010 11:08 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > On 9/10/2010 6:26 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
> >> What!? You don't like my meaning-conveying open1 ? :)
> >
> > He, he :-)
> >
> >> Seriously now, I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do have a slight reservation. The 'debugger' part of the
> >> name is more the 'what for' than the 'what' of what we are doing. There could be other clients that want to use the same
> >> thing: in VW there is SyntaxError, which is not quite a debugger. Furthermore, from the point of view of an MVC
> >> developer there is already a known protocol 'open', which the toolBuilder implements, as well as a protocol
> >> openNoTerminate. Now granted, for the Morphic developer this is not as intuitive.
> >
> > Well, we could do openNoTerminate but I find it just a little opaque. But I'm good with either one; your's and David's
> > call, just let me know which way you prefer.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   - Andreas
> >

> As I said, I also don't have a strong opinion, so it's up to Dave

"ToolBuilder>>openDebugger: aSpec" sounds fine to me.

Dave

Re: MVC debugging

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 01:42:32AM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:

>  On 9/10/2010 9:33 PM, Florin Mateoc wrote:
> >  On 9/10/2010 7:48 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >> I think that your changes are pretty non-controversial, certainly open1... is not a good selector :)
> >>
> >> But I would have hoped that the community would play a little with these changes before they get cleaned up and
> >> integrated (Hopefully that's what Andreas is doing ;) )
> >> There are many possible scenarios (multiple projects, morphic and mvc combinations, switching back and forth (with the
> >> debugger up) - I did get some walkback when switching back to morphic but did not investigate - , hitting errors during
> >> debugging, debugging with no windows (screen only) versus with windows, exceptions from ui and from non-ui).
> >> Well, we still have some work to do to get ControlManager>>interruptName:preemptedProcess:
> >> working right. Background is at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1041
> >> but the basic idea is that all four of the following should be interruptable:
> >>
> >>    "[true] whileTrue"
> >>    "[[true] whileTrue] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
> >>    "Smalltalk createStackOverflow"
> >>    "[Smalltalk createStackOverflow] forkAt: Processor userSchedulingPriority + 1"
> >>
> >> I spent some time trying to get this working last night, but have not yet
> >> come up with a solution. The basic idea is if the low space interrupt watcher
> >> process has called #interruptName:preemptedProcess: passing it theInterruptedProcess,
> >> then we want the debugger to open on theInterruptedProcess rather than on
> >> activeControllerProcess. This is a bit tricky to debug for obvious reasons ;)
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>
> > Of course that if we pass the preempted process, we have to honor that request.
> > But I am not sure if I understand correctly. If I have a runaway non-ui process, I don't think that the user interrupt
> > should try to find it and interrupt it. I think user interrupt is and should be dedicated to the ui process. Now once
> > you open a debugger, you can have a list of currently running processes from which you can select and debug.
> >
> > Florin
> >

> Ok, with the current changeset you can interrupt "[true] whileTrue" or "Smalltalk createStackOverflow", and if you let
> "Smalltalk createStackOverflow" run, it will trigger the low space watcher and you can then recover.
>
> For interrupting processes running at higher priority I think the appropriate solution is not the debugger but an
> emergency evaluator running at an even higher priority

Florin,

Very nice! The low space watcher works correctly in MVC with your latest
changes.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, the scenario that Florin
has addressed here is as follows.

- User starts a background process that is consuming too much memory,
  for example because of a coding mistake.

- After some period of time, the VM is out of memory to allocate. This
  is most likely to occur while that runaway background process is
  allocating a new object.

- The VM knows which process is active at this time, and it saves this
  in a location in the special objects array. The special objects array
  is visible to both the VM and the image.

- The VM signals the low space semaphore to let the image know that we
  are going to run out of memory soon.

- Back in the image, the low space watcher process has been waiting on
  that semaphore, so it wakes up shortly after the low space condition
  has been detected in the VM.

- The low space watcher checks the special object array to find the identity
  of the process that is most probably (though not for sure) causing the
  low space condition. It then opens a debugger on that process.

- The debugger opens (in MVC) on the interrupted process, which in this
  example was a background process that was running separately from the
  MVC user interface.

Note, if you are testing on Linux, run Squeak with fixed memory size
(squeak -memory 10m squeak.image) in order to create low space conditions.
Otherwise the VM will just keep allocating more memory until you computer
turns to molasses ;)

Dave

123