MVC freezes

Another Dave
Open MVC project, and click into it. Open Workspace, and enter and select a line of code. How do I _do it_? Center button does not work, and ctl-click locks up Squeak.

I have a three-button wheel mouse on a generic PC. 3- button mouse mapping is enabled. I'm trying to learn MVC, not Morphic.

Re: MVC freezes

Christopher Sawtell
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 14:07, Another Dave wrote:
> Open MVC project, and click into it. Open Workspace, and enter and
> select a line of code. How do I _do it_? Center button does not work,
> and ctl-click locks up Squeak.
>
> I have a three-button wheel mouse on a generic PC. 3- button mouse
> mapping is enabled. I'm trying to learn MVC, not Morphic.

Type line of code. Press ALT-d to do it.
A singel line will be auto-selected, for more than one line select your
code before pressing ALT-d

chris@imogen ~ $ squeak -version
3.9-7 #1 Mon Nov 20 01:51:18 NZDT 2006 gcc 4.1.1
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
Linux imogen 2.6.19-rc2-mm2 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 10 15:41:13 NZDT 2006
i686 Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.9-7/*.so

Tested in the MVC environment.

--
CS

Re: MVC freezes

Another Dave
Thanks. Alt-d does it.

I guess there's no mouse button for this in MVC?

Re: MVC freezes

Bert Freudenberg
On Jan 16, 2007, at 2:59 , Another Dave wrote:

> Thanks. Alt-d does it.
>
> I guess there's no mouse button for this in MVC?

There should - MVC was the origin of the three mouse button usage.
You have the red, yellow, and blue button, and the yellow button is
mapped to pop up a context menu. In the windows VM, by default the
right mouse button is mapped to yellow, if you enable the three-
button mouse setting, the right button will be "blue" and the middle
one will be "yellow". "Middle" means clicking the scroll wheel
nowadays - make sure your mouse driver actually generates a "button 3
down" event for this.

Now, I just tried MVC in a 3.9 image on the Mac, and it is seriously
broken, I saw freezes, sluggishness, missed clicks etc. Looks like
nobody has ventured into these fields for a while.

- Bert -

RE: MVC freezes

Mark Bailey-5
<< I guess there's no mouse button for this in MVC? >>

If you are using the mouse anyway, what is wrong with a simple drag? Did you try to double-click items such as a word or at the beginning of a line or at the end (bottom) of all the text?

Mark

RE: MVC freezes

Another Dave

Mark Bailey-5 wrote
<< I guess there's no mouse button for this in MVC? >>

If you are using the mouse anyway, what is wrong with a simple drag? Did you try to double-click items such as a word or at the beginning of a line or at the end (bottom) of all the text?

Mark
Drag works fine, but double click just toggles word highlighting. Mouse buttons do not work as in Morphic.

Re: MVC freezes

Another Dave
Bert Freudenberg-2 wrote
Now, I just tried MVC in a 3.9 image on the Mac, and it is seriously
broken, I saw freezes, sluggishness, missed clicks etc. Looks like
nobody has ventured into these fields for a while.

- Bert -
Ditto here under XP, which answers my question, but raises another about the nature of the two interfaces. I assume that we should be doing everything now in Morphic projects, even MVC? It's surprising to see the same Open menu in a MVC project window, even the option to open a Morphic project!

Re: MVC freezes

Mark Johnson
MVC is badly broken, right out of the box, for my 3.9-7067 image on XP.

Start MVC project, open workspace...freeze

Any tips?

-Mark
Another Dave wrote
Bert Freudenberg-2 wrote

- Bert -
Ditto here under XP, which answers my question, but raises another about the nature of the two interfaces. I assume that we should be doing everything now in Morphic projects, even MVC? It's surprising to see the same Open menu in a MVC project window, even the option to open a Morphic project!

Re: MVC freezes

Michael van der Gulik-3

>>Bert Freudenberg-2 wrote:
>>

>>>Now, I just tried MVC in a 3.9 image on the Mac, and it is seriously
>>>broken, I saw freezes, sluggishness, missed clicks etc. Looks like
>>>nobody has ventured into these fields for a while.

I've noticed the same - in fact, after trying to get drag and drop
working on my own Morph, I started seeing the same behaviour in Morphic.

So far I'm not particularly impressed with 3.9. One more problem and I'm
giving up and going back to 3.8.

Michael.