classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ma Client Server & Squeak launch issues

Hari
Hi All,

I've been attempting to use the Ma Client Server package on Squeak 5.0 using the instructions on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2978. The instructions there appear to be out of date. Is there another source of documentation available? The wiki lists the last edit date of that page in Sep 2016. So I assume the package is still being maintained. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Also, the version of Squeak 5.1 on the Squeak.org does not launch on MacOS. The Squeak 5.0 image provided on Aida/web site does, which I am using.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ma Client Server & Squeak launch issues

Bob Arning-2

The all-in-one? I just downloaded it and it did launch (MacOS 10.10.5) -- might be something on your end?

On 1/4/17 1:20 PM, Hari Balaraman wrote:
Also, the version of Squeak 5.1 on the Squeak.org does not launch on MacOS.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nikolay Suslov
In reply to this post by Hari
Hello,

I guess, you are using macOS Sierra? For me Squeak 5.1 from all-in-one is working fine with the latest VMs from https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog. Like this one https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_macos32x86_squeak.cog.spur_201612312257.tar.gz

Regards,
Nikolai

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I've been attempting to use the Ma Client Server package on Squeak 5.0 using the instructions on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2978. The instructions there appear to be out of date. Is there another source of documentation available? The wiki lists the last edit date of that page in Sep 2016. So I assume the package is still being maintained. Please let me know if that is not the case.

Also, the version of Squeak 5.1 on the Squeak.org does not launch on MacOS. The Squeak 5.0 image provided on Aida/web site does, which I am using.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
Hi Hari, Ma Client Server code and documentation is up-to-date and maintained.  #listenOn:answer: was renamed to #processOn:using:.  I've just updated that page to reflect that.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
I just fixed a couple of other issues with that page.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Hari
In reply to this post by Nikolay Suslov
Hi Nikolai,
Thanks for the tip. It worked.
I hope that download links on the website are updated in due course. The Sierra beta has been out since July and the final release was in September.
Kind regards,
Hari
Reply | Threaded
|

Securing access to the .changes file

Hari
Hi All,
Is there a way to secure access to the changes file or to fold the changes from within the image back into the image rather than have them written into the changes file?
The reason I ask is that I am deploying an client app and I see that the changes file is a text file that exposes all my code.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Kind regards,
Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Securing access to the .changes file

vaidasd
Hello,
disable preference #warnIfNoChangesFile and do not deploy changes file.
Vaidotas

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Hari Balaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,
Is there a way to secure access to the changes file or to fold the changes from within the image back into the image rather than have them written into the changes file?
The reason I ask is that I am deploying an client app and I see that the changes file is a text file that exposes all my code.
Kind regards,
Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Herbert König

Hari,

do you know and if not are you interested to disable programmer facilities in your deployed image ?

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 18.04.2017 um 03:58 schrieb Hari Balaraman:
Hi All,
Kind regards,
Hari

Reply | Threaded
|

Hari
In reply to this post by vaidasd
Hi Vaidotas,
My app downloads code updates from the server and files them in. Will this be possible with your suggestion?
I'm looking at "openSources: sourcesName andChanges: changesName forImage: imageName" in FileDirectory. It appears to need this file. I wonder if I can encrypt and decrypt writing and reading sources.
Kind regards,
Hari
Reply | Threaded
|

Hari
In reply to this post by Herbert König
Hi Herbert,
'disableProgrammerFacilities' appears (from the comment) to disable snapshotting, which I do need to do within my client. However, I do disable debugger, halos, browser, workspace... selectively using a switch in my app, which I am looking to control using an username and password.
Kind regards,
Hari
Reply | Threaded
|

Herbert König
Hi Hari,

that's a simple experiment. Disable warnIfNoChangesFile and
warnIfNoSourcesFile, move both files away and open your image.

Now if browsing code all your temp vars will be named t1, t2 ... that's
all. The rest can be decompiled due to the dynamic nature of Smalltalk.

If you look how mcz are read an written (they are just zipped files) you
could use the same technique to en- and decrypt code you file in instead
of zipping and unzipping them. Look at: GZipReadStream>>fileIn:

But please read my reply to your other mail.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 18.04.2017 um 18:02 schrieb Hari:

> Hi Vaidotas,
> My app downloads code updates from the server and files them in. Will this
> be possible with your suggestion?
> I'm looking at "openSources: sourcesName andChanges: changesName forImage:
> imageName" in FileDirectory. It appears to need this file. I wonder if I can
> encrypt and decrypt writing and reading sources.
> Kind regards,
> Hari
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Ma-Client-Server-Squeak-launch-issues-tp4928722p4942559.html
> Sent from the Squeak - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Herbert König
Hi Hari,

It seems you want to hide your sources from your users. Under that
assumption:

As I wrote in my other reply removing sources and changes still gives
very readable code in the browser.

A VM which ignores StartUpList will give anyone who has your image  most
of your sources. Especially your encryption can be easily avoided from
there. Maybe there even is a tool which already loads an arbitrary image
into the simulator for debugging.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518 collects the details on deployment,
the changeset it refers to may need some rework for recent images. (In
case you didn't already know, I got the pointer from Hannes.)

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 18.04.2017 um 18:06 schrieb Hari:

> Hi Herbert,
> 'disableProgrammerFacilities' appears (from the comment) to disable
> snapshotting, which I do need to do within my client. However, I do disable
> debugger, halos, browser, workspace... selectively using a switch in my app,
> which I am looking to control using an username and password.
> Kind regards,
> Hari
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Ma-Client-Server-Squeak-launch-issues-tp4928722p4942562.html
> Sent from the Squeak - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 18-04-2017, at 9:02 AM, Hari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vaidotas,
> My app downloads code updates from the server and files them in. Will this
> be possible with your suggestion?

This is a bit of a problem, or at least it was last time I checked. I was going to include a mechanism to allow updating Scratch, which obviously would involve installing code. With no changes file we run across an issue where the trailer bytes of the method want to know the file position of the changes file… which we have not got.

I’m pretty sure this used to work once upon a time but given how long we’ve been doing this stuff that could be a very long time ago. Right now what happens is that the Browser>defineMessageFrom:notifying: code leads us to Behavior>defaultMethodTrailerIfLogSource: which *would* handle the problem of a missing changes (or source) file if only the value of ‘logSource’ were appropriate. Ambling back up the stack a bit to ClassDescription>compile:classified:withStamp:notifying: shows us that a plausible culprit is #acceptsLoggingOfCompilation. This simply returns ‘true’ in most implementations, whereas I think it should probably be looking a bit more deeply.

One option might be to add a new method to the SourceFileArray classes to check if there is a [changes,source] file connected. Another might be to add a new subclass that simply knows there is no writeable file - which obviously would require a bit more deployment setup but might work out cleaner.

As a minimal fix I think we could solve this by
a) add #hasWriteableChanges to SourceFileArray, default returning false.
b) add ditto to each of the current subclasses, returning whether the file at 2 is not nil
c) extend at least ClassDescription>acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation to ^SourceFiles hasWriteableChanges, with the other implementors of #acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation being a bit less obvious to me.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hari
In reply to this post by Herbert König
Hi Herbert,

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes I do want to hide my code, especially as I'm encrypting communication from client to server (which is a whole other ball of wax...), and browser, workspace, debugger use, are in any case turned off so readability in the browser is not required.

That said, I think I have found a solution without having to dig further into which processes write to the changes file from a filein or a snapshot method and try to encrypt and decrypt for file access:

After I file in a update from the server, I saveSession and then use:

FileDirectory default copyFileWithoutOverwriteConfirmationNamed:'samplefile.changes' toFileNamed:'[imagename].changes'

I think I will have to first check for the existence of samplefile.changes in the image directory, if it is there [if not, error and blow up the universe in a fit of fury] save session, and then overwrite with the sample.changes.

I've tried creating classes, saving session, replacing the changes file, and then when I restart my image, the new classes are still there. So fingers crossed.

Kind regards,

Hari
Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by timrowledge

> On 18-04-2017, at 11:26 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a minimal fix I think we could solve this by
> a) add #hasWriteableChanges to SourceFileArray, default returning false.
> b) add ditto to each of the current subclasses, returning whether the file at 2 is not nil
> c) extend at least ClassDescription>acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation to ^SourceFiles hasWriteableChanges, with the other implementors of #acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation being a bit less obvious to me.

I’ve submitted an exemplar set of changes to the inbox since I do not know what we ought to do with classes such as UnscriptedPlayer. See inbox/Files-tpr.169 & Kernel-tpr.1075

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: TVO: Type Various Obscenities

Reply | Threaded
|

Ron Teitelbaum
We are using 

ChangeSet class > newChangesFromStream: aStream named: aName  

To load changes to a deployed 4.1 image with no changes file.  

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum 

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18-04-2017, at 11:26 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a minimal fix I think we could solve this by
> a) add #hasWriteableChanges to SourceFileArray, default returning false.
> b) add ditto to each of the current subclasses, returning whether the file at 2 is not nil
> c) extend at least ClassDescription>acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation to ^SourceFiles hasWriteableChanges, with the other implementors of #acceptsLoggingOfCompiliation being a bit less obvious to me.

I’ve submitted an exemplar set of changes to the inbox since I do not know what we ought to do with classes such as UnscriptedPlayer. See inbox/Files-tpr.169 & Kernel-tpr.1075

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: TVO: Type Various Obscenities

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are using 

ChangeSet class > newChangesFromStream: aStream named: aName  

To load changes to a deployed 4.1 image with no changes file.  

Yes, filing in code without a changes file used to work fine. Do we know what change broke it?

- Bert -