Mac OS X... proper installation?

Aaron Broad
Hi,

I'm new to smalltalk/squeak.  Trying to learn seaside.  I want to use
the web development image but i can't seem to get it to work.  I have
mac os x leopard on macbook pro.  I have tried the following each with
failure:

* I installed squeak via darwin ports but it just hangs if i try to
load the web image using the following
squeak -vm-display-Quartz sq3webdev.image

*I downloaded and installed the MacOSX universal app from squeak
homepage.  It will load the web dev image but has visual errors i'm
guessing from wrong version incompatibilities??  there are text
artifacts and errors throughout

So my question is how does everyone else install on mac os x.  I'm a
beginner at squeak but not computer science/unix/etc.   I'm looking to
install it the proper way and in a way where i can choose which image
gets loaded at the start, because  I started learning seaside with the
oneclick installer but i messed up that image to the point where it
crashes 5 seconds after loading.  Unfortunately this is halfway
through the todoapp tutorial, so i have to start it over when i do get
it working.

thanks,
Aaron

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

Matthias Berth-2
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Aaron Broad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to smalltalk/squeak.  Trying to learn seaside.  I want to use the
> web development image but i can't seem to get it to work.  I have mac os x
> leopard on macbook pro.  I have tried the following each with failure:
>
> * I installed squeak via darwin ports but it just hangs if i try to load the
> web image using the following
> squeak -vm-display-Quartz sq3webdev.image
>
> *I downloaded and installed the MacOSX universal app from squeak homepage.
>  It will load the web dev image but has visual errors i'm guessing from
> wrong version incompatibilities??  there are text artifacts and errors
> throughout
>
> So my question is how does everyone else install on mac os x.

Hi Aaron,

I have the same computer / OS combination. I am using the squeak-dev
based image, but based on version 3.9.1 without problems. I have just
downloaded and started sq3.10-7159web08.05.2 and I see a small visual
problem (a progress bar looks a bit strange).

Is that what you mean? Can you tell me how I can reproduce more of
these visual errors?

In the mean time it might be hepful to use one of the 3.9.1 based
images, however you won't get look enhancements out of the box.

Also, about the todo app that you were working on: you can probably
recover it from the changes file, see "How can I recover my work if a
crash has occurred?" in
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2168

Cheers

Matthias

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

Matthias Berth-2
... just one mor ething about recovering the Todo app: you'll want to
open the .changes file that was originally produced in the Seaside One
Click experience image. That will be inside the App folder (Control
click on the One Click Application, and select "Show folder
contents"). You then copy it somewhere, e.g. onto your desktop. Then
open it from another, stable image, like this:

ChangeList browseFile: 'ChangesOfChangeSetOrStFileName'

Then proceed as indicated in the swiki page. Alternatively you can
open the changes file in a file list (get that form the Squeak world
menu) and browse it.

Cheers

Matthias

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Matthias Berth
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Aaron Broad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to smalltalk/squeak.  Trying to learn seaside.  I want to use the
>> web development image but i can't seem to get it to work.  I have mac os x
>> leopard on macbook pro.  I have tried the following each with failure:
>>
>> * I installed squeak via darwin ports but it just hangs if i try to load the
>> web image using the following
>> squeak -vm-display-Quartz sq3webdev.image
>>
>> *I downloaded and installed the MacOSX universal app from squeak homepage.
>>  It will load the web dev image but has visual errors i'm guessing from
>> wrong version incompatibilities??  there are text artifacts and errors
>> throughout
>>
>> So my question is how does everyone else install on mac os x.
>
> Hi Aaron,
>

> I have the same computer / OS combination. I am using the squeak-dev
> based image, but based on version 3.9.1 without problems. I have just
> downloaded and started sq3.10-7159web08.05.2 and I see a small visual
> problem (a progress bar looks a bit strange).
>
> Is that what you mean? Can you tell me how I can reproduce more of
> these visual errors?
>
> In the mean time it might be hepful to use one of the 3.9.1 based
> images, however you won't get look enhancements out of the box.
>
> Also, about the todo app that you were working on: you can probably
> recover it from the changes file, see "How can I recover my work if a
> crash has occurred?" in
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2168
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthias

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

Aaron Broad
Thanks.  I have those two images.  What do you use for an executable
though?

thanks,
Aaron

On 22-May-08, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> ... just one mor ething about recovering the Todo app: you'll want to
> open the .changes file that was originally produced in the Seaside One
> Click experience image. That will be inside the App folder (Control
> click on the One Click Application, and select "Show folder
> contents"). You then copy it somewhere, e.g. onto your desktop. Then
> open it from another, stable image, like this:
>
> ChangeList browseFile: 'ChangesOfChangeSetOrStFileName'
>
> Then proceed as indicated in the swiki page. Alternatively you can
> open the changes file in a file list (get that form the Squeak world
> menu) and browse it.
>

> Cheers
>
> Matthias
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Matthias Berth
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Aaron Broad
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm new to smalltalk/squeak.  Trying to learn seaside.  I want to
>>> use the
>>> web development image but i can't seem to get it to work.  I have
>>> mac os x
>>> leopard on macbook pro.  I have tried the following each with
>>> failure:
>>>
>>> * I installed squeak via darwin ports but it just hangs if i try
>>> to load the
>>> web image using the following
>>> squeak -vm-display-Quartz sq3webdev.image
>>>
>>> *I downloaded and installed the MacOSX universal app from squeak
>>> homepage.
>>> It will load the web dev image but has visual errors i'm guessing
>>> from
>>> wrong version incompatibilities??  there are text artifacts and
>>> errors
>>> throughout
>>>
>>> So my question is how does everyone else install on mac os x.
>>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>

>> I have the same computer / OS combination. I am using the squeak-dev
>> based image, but based on version 3.9.1 without problems. I have just
>> downloaded and started sq3.10-7159web08.05.2 and I see a small visual
>> problem (a progress bar looks a bit strange).
>>
>> Is that what you mean? Can you tell me how I can reproduce more of
>> these visual errors?
>>
>> In the mean time it might be hepful to use one of the 3.9.1 based
>> images, however you won't get look enhancements out of the box.
>>
>> Also, about the todo app that you were working on: you can probably
>> recover it from the changes file, see "How can I recover my work if a
>> crash has occurred?" in
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2168
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Matthias

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

Matthias Berth-2
The executable is called Squeak 3.8.18beta1U.app. I think I downloaded
it via squeak.org.

Matthias

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Aaron Broad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.  I have those two images.  What do you use for an executable though?
>
> thanks,
> Aaron
>
> On 22-May-08, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:
>
>> ... just one mor ething about recovering the Todo app: you'll want to
>> open the .changes file that was originally produced in the Seaside One
>> Click experience image. That will be inside the App folder (Control
>> click on the One Click Application, and select "Show folder
>> contents"). You then copy it somewhere, e.g. onto your desktop. Then
>> open it from another, stable image, like this:
>>
>> ChangeList browseFile: 'ChangesOfChangeSetOrStFileName'
>>
>> Then proceed as indicated in the swiki page. Alternatively you can
>> open the changes file in a file list (get that form the Squeak world
>> menu) and browse it.
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Matthias Berth
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi Aaron,
>>>

>>> I have the same computer / OS combination. I am using the squeak-dev
>>> based image, but based on version 3.9.1 without problems. I have just
>>> downloaded and started sq3.10-7159web08.05.2 and I see a small visual
>>> problem (a progress bar looks a bit strange).
>>>
>>> Is that what you mean? Can you tell me how I can reproduce more of
>>> these visual errors?
>>>
>>> In the mean time it might be hepful to use one of the 3.9.1 based
>>> images, however you won't get look enhancements out of the box.
>>>
>>> Also, about the todo app that you were working on: you can probably
>>> recover it from the changes file, see "How can I recover my work if a
>>> crash has occurred?" in
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2168
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Matthias

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

Aaron Broad
thanks.  Thought i couldn't run 3.8 with 3.10 image.  Works great now
I think.

Thanks,
Aaron

On 22-May-08, at 11:54 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:

> The executable is called Squeak 3.8.18beta1U.app. I think I downloaded
> it via squeak.org.
>
> Matthias
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Aaron Broad <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Thanks.  I have those two images.  What do you use for an
>> executable though?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Aaron
>>
>> On 22-May-08, at 8:24 AM, Matthias Berth wrote:
>>
>>> ... just one mor ething about recovering the Todo app: you'll want
>>> open the .changes file that was originally produced in the Seaside
>>> One
>>> Click experience image. That will be inside the App folder (Control
>>> click on the One Click Application, and select "Show folder
>>> contents"). You then copy it somewhere, e.g. onto your desktop. Then
>>> open it from another, stable image, like this:
>>>
>>> ChangeList browseFile: 'ChangesOfChangeSetOrStFileName'
>>>
>>> Then proceed as indicated in the swiki page. Alternatively you can
>>> open the changes file in a file list (get that form the Squeak world
>>> menu) and browse it.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Matthias

Re: Mac OS X... proper installation?

stephane ducasse
Hi aaron

you can take the seaside distribution
If you click on it and ask show contents... you will see the image and
the source and the package folder.
Else you can take 3.9 full.

stef