MacOS X

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
but in my opinion its not the business community that wants native widgets
:), its mainly developers. Developers are way more sensitive about this
than most "business" users. Developers creating consumer oriented apps may
justifiably feel they need native widgets but here again for those types
of apps most of their potential users I argue will prefer skins.

Our user's don't care. Mind you they mentioned it once or twice as far as
our 3.0 version but once they saw 7.x they were more than satisfied
especially since we re-worked the UIs to work within a tabbed construct ,
gave them trees , and much much smarter datasets, dumps to Excel etc i.e.
real value.

BTW, just to add a little more gasoline to the fire. One of the reasons
that folks in the past argued for native widgets was because they were
"snappier" , well VW on any modern machine , with double buffering on is
snappy enough.

Honestly I don't see what they buy at all. Don't want to argue that
though. Just making a statement. Now, what I would like to be able to do
is leverage hardware accelerated graphics i.e. run code on GPUs. DirectX
does this. I also learned yesterday that one can now do that with some
version or wrapping of OpenGL. I'm kind of hazy on it. One of our members
(NYC Smalltalk) has been playing with that from Dolphin and plans to
present it to us. That would be way cooler than actually knowing that I'm
literally using a Win input field on my UI.

-Charles

On Wed, 30 May 2007 11:19:13 -0400, Terry Raymond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles
>
> I guess the other thing that must be kept in mind is that
> the major market for VW is for business applications. How
> many business users want to skin their applications?
>
> Terry
> Terry Raymond
> Crafted Smalltalk
> 80 Lazywood Ln.
> Tiverton, RI  02878
> (401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
> <http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

RE: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Amen, Building custom business software the priorities run something
like this:
1) fix external facing production problems
2) fix critical internal facing problems
3) build new revenue generating functions
4) build new cost saving functions
5) remove anoyances and generally make the applications easier to use

Native widgets, at least as the affect our users are down at priority 5.

Joerg

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Roland Wagener
Hi all

just to add a new perspective: Have you looked into ObjectStudio 8 (OS8)
recently, the other Smalltalk from Cincom?
Well, its actually a simulated Smalltalk inside VisualWorks (they gonna
get me for this ..), and .. it uses native Widgets ...
Of course, OS8-objects are normal VisualWorks objects, so they may be
used by VW code, and vice versa. Some additional classes are involved,
and it only runs on Windows.

But if anybody REALLY wants to attack this, there is a quite complete
starting point.
(And I cannot resist ..) Brought to you by Georg Heeg.

Cheers

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

Joerg Beekmann schrieb:

> [...]

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Charles Adams
Yup. Couldn't agree more (with Boris, Dennis and Charles M.)

I think the best thing that Cincom can do right now is get Widgetry released
and build the tools necessary to use Widgetry. Neither I nor my customers
are going to use Widgetry without the painter tools and canvas/palette
mechanism.

Charles Adams
Adventa Control Technologies, Inc.
3001 E. Plano Parkway, #100