MacOS X

123456

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Samuel S. Shuster <sames@interaccess.com>
Boris,

> Right, isn't 1 + 1 still more than 1 though?

Uh... Yes... Was that a trick question?

> All I'm trying to find out is what problem this solves exactly if
> you need to maintain and improve emulation anyway.

IF: If we do native widgets to the extent that few need the emulated...

> I think I'm going to retreat now, personally I would much rather
> see more solid printing support, font system cleanup, dllcc
> improvements, widgetry completion and tools, and few other things
> before taking on native widgets, but I don't work for Cincom and
> I'm not even in the top 10 clients, so this converstion is nothing
> more than a rant, really.

I understand. Of course, all those things are in the works. Yes, we
actually have the resources, energy and vision to do them all, and to
them right!

                                 And So It Goes
                                      Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Dennis smith-4
I've been "lurking" on this thread -- so just one comment -- if I had to choose I would go with
boris -- emulated widgets give us flexibility, and there are lots of other things that I would like to see.

Boris Popov wrote:
Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Right, isn't 1 + 1 still more than 1 though? All I'm trying to find out is what problem this solves exactly if you need to maintain and improve emulation anyway. I think I'm going to retreat now, personally I would much rather see more solid printing support, font system cleanup, dllcc improvements, widgetry completion and tools, and few other things before taking on native widgets, but I don't work for Cincom and I'm not even in the top 10 clients, so this converstion is nothing more than a rant, really.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Well, it seems I read your prior post poorly. You said:

> so long as you have two models
There is no reason to have more than one model.

Given only one model that supports full platform native widgets with
all the bells and whistles, and the fidelity and stability (and many
other things, major and minor) that native widgets provide that
emulated widgets never can, I'd say its way beyond why not...

IMO, the question is: Why not already?

                                 And So It Goes
                                      Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, GUI Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
sorry, just one more thing was is FFI ? I take it some some interface
mechanism to C/C++, like SWIG?

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:56:29 -0400, Eliot Miranda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> has to be more efficient to implement the GUI/platform GUI interface in
> Smalltalk.
>
> Java had an awful time at native widgets for a while, not sure that the
>> current state of affairs is there now. I also remember,and it has been a
>> while,  Eclipse having a difficult time with SWT in maintaining
>> cross-platform compatability. Specifically, their Linux implementation
>> was
>> quite behind their Windows implementation and it was sloooow. I guess if
>> one did not care about cross-platform compatability then one just needed
>> to live with the pain but if you did you were hosed.
>

> But what exactly were the problems?  One advantage VW has is an existing
> cross-platform framework that works.  Its far easier to reengineer
> something
> functional than to do a green field design.  And there are several other
> advantages VW has over Java, real-world speed, footprint, IDE maturity.
>
> But all this is academic.  The essential problem is opportunity cost.
> While
> implementing a native GUI might be a very good thing in the long term
> doping
> it will mean not doing something else that might be more important.  The
> tragedy is that if one isn't willing to invest in infrastructure then
> gradually the foundations get poorer and poorer and have to support ever
> more poorly implemented superstructure (rthe quality of the foundations
> determine how well one can implement above it).
>
> But enough already.
>

> Anyhow, as is always the case, in comes to what value will native widgets
>> bring in relations to its cost in time spent and in time not spent doing
>> something else. Obviously, if the cost is not that great , hey,
>> fantastic
>> but I have waited years to get fixes and features that could have been
>> done a while back.
>>
>> Again, I suspect that native widgets is a popular thing so most will
>> thing
>> that the value added by far outweights the cost. In our case, our apps
>> look good enough, we make the sell because of what they do. If I was
>> selling consumer oriented stuff I may be singing a different tune,
>> unless
>> I could give them skins :)
>>
>> later
>>
>> -Charles
>>

>> On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:37:34 -0400, Eliot Miranda
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> native
>> >

>> > Can you expand on this Charles?  Why do you think an interface  to
>> native
>> > widgets would increase maintennance?  I think the opposite (no need to
>> > put
>> > effort into aping ever-changing looks)  but I'm interested in your
>> > reasons
>> > for thinking the opposite...
>> >

>> > I really prefer the "skinable" philosophy which

Let's hook up FLEX to Smalltalk :)

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:12:15 -0400, Stefan Schmiedl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:04:18 -0700
> "Boris Popov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I see where you're coming from, our fat client is also the kind of
>> application that users couldn't care less how it looks visually so
>> long as delivers functionality they crave, we only deploy it
>> internally with no sales pressure whatsoever.
>
> Yay for fat clients :-)
>
>> But if I were building,
>> say, a contact management application for much wider markets hoping
>> to sell hundreds of thousands of copies to users who are spoiled by
>> slick looking applications on Mac OS X and Vista, I would much rather
>> see a polished uniform non-native UI instead of 95% native 5%
>> emulated mix.
>
> +1
>
> s.

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
Carl:

you and I will have to agree to disagree but only after a fight, over beer
tonite :)

I disagree that to you native widgets are "essential" i.e. do or die ,
must have, show-stopping, etc . If I was your marketing guy and knowing
what I know of your app I would tell you that most modern users are used
to seeing skins. Most users of IDEs are used to seing skins. Certainly
most users of audio/visual/entertainment apps are used to seeing skins.

I'll even dare assert that most users "prefer" skins and most of them like
changing them from time to time.

So your users that use Liberty Basic as a tool to learn should be happy
with skins. Those that actually use it to develop apps for commercial
release , most of them would probably be happy with skins including a skin
that looked very close to Win XP. Then there's the subset that would want
things to look exactly like what VisualBasic would generate. Although I
bet VB has a skin framework.

-Charles

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:36:07 -0400, Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> From: "Boris Popov" <[hidden email]>
>> Sigh, exactly. The point I was making is that if you want to put two
>> widgets next to each other where one is native and one is emulated, your
>> emulated look better match the native one exactly, otherwise it just
>> won't look right to the user. In which case, why even both with native?
>> ;)
>
> Why?  Because then you can support the things that users expect on the
> given platform and do this using the widgets they are used to seeing.  A
> user is running XP?  The widgets will look like XP without compromise.
> When the user upgrades to Vista the app will look like Vista without
> compromise with no extra work because the OSs' window manager draws
> everything.
>
> So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  To me native widgets are
> essential.  Emulated widgets are only a "nice to have".  Are there times
> when an emulated UI is the better choice?  Perhaps.  ;)
>
> -Carl Gundel
> http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
Hopefully that choice will never be made, the capability of creating
custom widgets in Smalltalk should never be removed

On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:13:56 -0400, Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
+1

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:03:57 -0400, Dennis Smith
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been "lurking" on this thread -- so just one comment -- if I had to
> choose I would go with
> boris -- emulated widgets give us flexibility, and there are lots of
> other things that I would like to see.
>

> Boris Popov wrote:
>>
>> Right, isn't 1 + 1 still more than 1 though? All I'm trying to find
>> out is what problem this solves exactly if you need to maintain and
>> improve emulation anyway. I think I'm going to retreat now, personally
>> I would much rather see more solid printing support, font system
>> cleanup, dllcc improvements, widgetry completion and tools, and few
>> other things before taking on native widgets, but I don't work for
>> Cincom and I'm not even in the top 10 clients, so this converstion is
>> nothing more than a rant, really.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>> (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Terry Raymond
Charles

How does one skin VW emulated widgets using a windows
skinning package?

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

OCIT
that's a tongue twister :)

the answer is one doesn't

what I was trying to get across was that a skinable framework in VW and
regardless of how its implemented but without it meaning "native" widgets
could have as one of its skins a WinXP skin or the VB look a like skin ,
for those users that wanted to approximate a particular OS look and feel.
Basically, like what we have now in VW where our "skins" are these look
policies that attempt to approximate an OS look and feel.

The skinable framework would of course have the added value of being
immensely more flexible and in tune with modern user's expectations. In my
opinion.

There was once a package for skinning in VW. It was half baked and relied
on the VW base but an interesting start. From the little that I have seen
of Cairo , leveraging Cairo would provide a much more polished end result.

-Charles

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:26:56 -0400, Terry Raymond
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles
>
> How does one skin VW emulated widgets using a windows
> skinning package?
>
> Terry
> Terry Raymond
> Crafted Smalltalk
> 80 Lazywood Ln.
> Tiverton, RI  02878
> (401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
> <http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Carl Gundel
I definitely agree that there would be no good reason to eliminate the
emulated widgets.  I do find them to be quite useful, but I want the best
of both worlds.  My users have written a lot of Liberty BASIC code that
will break without native widgets.  LB v5.0 will be the first release that
breaks backwards compatibility in a disruptive way.  This may not matter
all too much if I can provide enough functionality with the emulated
widgets.  There's no doubt that some of my users will not upgrade because
of this.

Since we won't see native widgets in the short term, I wish that we could
at least have good integration with the Mac menu system.

-Carl Gundel
http://www.libertybasic.com

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:25:03 -0400 "Charles A. Monteiro" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hopefully that choice will never be made, the capability of creating
>custom widgets in Smalltalk should never be removed
>
>On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:13:56 -0400, Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>

I guess the other thing that must be kept in mind is that
the major market for VW is for business applications. How
many business users want to skin their applications?

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

But VW already has skins in form of obscurely implemented look policies. What I was preaching from the beginning of this topic eons ago is that this should be much simpler. If one had Cairo to leverage and a decent designer to come up with 2-3 professional looks for emulated widgets, I bet a good portion of native widget activists would be satisfied. Also, if we stick with the mentality that this is only for business users, we might as well give up completely. I for one would love to see cool applications being built with VisualWorks that aren't financial systems or process control etc.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

I guess the other thing that must be kept in mind is that
the major market for VW is for business applications. How
many business users want to skin their applications?

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Andre Schnoor

Carl Gundel wote:
> Since we won't see native widgets in the short term, I wish that we could
> at least have good integration with the Mac menu system.

I'm in the process of implementing a native MacOS X Objective-C menu
interface for VW. It'll be the most simple interface ever: Take an
arbitrary Smalltalk menu and send it #installOnMacMenuBar. Picked items
will transparently work the same way as invoked internally - no strings
attached.

This will work dynamically, of course, i.e. each window has the option
of replacing the menu at any time.

Stay tuned.

Andre

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Carl Gundel
Cool.  Can't wait.  :-)

-Carl Gundel
http://www.libertybasic.com

On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:10:29 +0200 Andre Schnoor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Carl Gundel wote:
>> Since we won't see native widgets in the short term, I wish that we
could

>> at least have good integration with the Mac menu system.
>>

>I'm in the process of implementing a native MacOS X Objective-C menu
>interface for VW. It'll be the most simple interface ever: Take an
>arbitrary Smalltalk menu and send it #installOnMacMenuBar. Picked items
>will transparently work the same way as invoked internally - no strings
>attached.
>
>This will work dynamically, of course, i.e. each window has the option
>of replacing the menu at any time.
>
>Stay tuned.
>
>Andre

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Andre Schnoor
Boris Popov wrote:
Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

But VW already has skins in form of obscurely implemented look policies. What I was preaching from the beginning of this topic eons ago is that this should be much simpler.

Implementing the Chimera L&F was not easy, but straight forward. I had issues with performance optimization, i.e. reduction of flicker, but the real problem was a missing documentation for this task. Everyone could take Chimera as a template and derive another "skin" from it. Go ahead ;-)

If one had Cairo to leverage and a decent designer to come up with 2-3 professional looks for emulated widgets, I bet a good portion of native widget activists would be satisfied. Also, if we stick with the mentality that this is only for business users, we might as well give up completely.

Businesses bring in more revenue per customer (which is convenient), but as soon as VW can prove it is able to do more than invisible backend hi-fi, higher volumes of VAR sales (coupled with increased visibility in general) will bring additional revenue. I am confident Cincom are clever enough to not waste this potential. At least not deliberately.

I for one would love to see cool applications being built with VisualWorks that aren't financial systems or process control etc.

Check out www.cognitone.com.

Andre

RE: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)
The problem with this thread is that Native Widgets are held up as an
obvious good without discussing what they actually are. The reality is
problematic and complex.

First Native Widgets can (and often do) suck! As James pointed out the
Object Studio experience shows that even if  you use the OS supplied
widges as exposed in a platform vendor supplied tool you may not be
happy with the result.

Second Native Widgets Ain't; What are the "native widgets" on Windows?
The ones you see in a modern Visual Basic applications, or how about an
older Visual Basic application? The ones on the OS? The Windows98 ones
that apear in parts of Excel? The ones in Word which incidentally at
least up until fairly recently were totally emulated by Word because the
Word team did not like the OS ones. Even in MacOS/X, supposedly the land
of UI unififormity is it the iTunes look or the Finder look?

Third for how long will we want just or even mostly Native Widgets? One
influence of the web has been and increased acceptance of different
looks, and a higher bar in terms of Graphic design (well sometimes). I
bet future application frameworks will need to supply similar design
freedom that the web afords. Adobe Appolo and from Microsoft Silverlight
are indications of this.

My intuision is that exact platform fidelity is going to become less
important at least as compared to graphic design flexibility.

Joerg

Re: Native widgets Re: MacOS X

Dave Stevenson-2
Wikipedia.org has several hits for FFI, one of which is foreign function
interface

Dave

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> [...]
>> more poorly implemented superstructure (rthe quality of the foundations
>> determine how well one can implement above it).
>>
>> But enough already.
>>

>> Anyhow, as is always the case, in comes to what value will native widgets
>>> bring in relations to its cost in time spent and in time not spent doing
>>> something else. Obviously, if the cost is not that great , hey,
>>> fantastic
>>> but I have waited years to get fixes and features that could have been
>>> done a while back.
>>>
>>> Again, I suspect that native widgets is a popular thing so most will
>>> thing
>>> that the value added by far outweights the cost. In our case, our apps
>>> look good enough, we make the sell because of what they do. If I was
>>> selling consumer oriented stuff I may be singing a different tune,

Eliot Miranda-2
Foreign Function Interface.  Its a term from the Common Lisp standard which is gradually catching on (e.g. see wikipedia)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> that the value added by far outweights the cost. In our case, our apps
>> look good enough, we make the sell because of what they do. If I was
>> selling consumer oriented stuff I may be singing a different tune,
>> unless
>> I could give them skins :)
>>
>> later
>>
>> -Charles
>>

>> On Tue, 29 May 2007 13:37:34 -0400, Eliot Miranda
>> < [hidden email]> wrote:

>> native
>> >

>> > Can you expand on this Charles?  Why do you think an interface  to
>> native
>> > widgets would increase maintennance?  I think the opposite (no need to
>> > put
>> > effort into aping ever-changing looks)  but I'm interested in your
>> > reasons
>> > for thinking the opposite...
>> >

>> > I really prefer the "skinable" philosophy which

Mark Pirogovsky-3
First,
We need to specify what native is actually stands for...
To that end we should go no further then VSE model, where one can have
any kind of visual presentation for the widget, but it would conform to
the Windows event model.

If we could have a native widgets similar to the ones available in the
VSE in VW ver 25.1 would be a good thing.  There in VSE , all the
widgets while being Win32 elements had full access from the smalltalk so
they were very customizable.  Also there were place for the fully custom
built (in the VI) widgets, which were still  somewhat Native...

I think that VSE connection was mentioned few time already in this
discussion, but just in case....

My 2c.

--Mark

Joerg Beekmann wrote:

> The problem with this thread is that Native Widgets are held up as an
> obvious good without discussing what they actually are. The reality is
> problematic and complex.
>
> First Native Widgets can (and often do) suck! As James pointed out the
> Object Studio experience shows that even if  you use the OS supplied
> widges as exposed in a platform vendor supplied tool you may not be
> happy with the result.
>
> Second Native Widgets Ain't; What are the "native widgets" on Windows?
> The ones you see in a modern Visual Basic applications, or how about an
> older Visual Basic application? The ones on the OS? The Windows98 ones
> that apear in parts of Excel? The ones in Word which incidentally at
> least up until fairly recently were totally emulated by Word because the
> Word team did not like the OS ones. Even in MacOS/X, supposedly the land
> of UI unififormity is it the iTunes look or the Finder look?
>
> Third for how long will we want just or even mostly Native Widgets? One
> influence of the web has been and increased acceptance of different
> looks, and a higher bar in terms of Graphic design (well sometimes). I
> bet future application frameworks will need to supply similar design
> freedom that the web afords. Adobe Appolo and from Microsoft Silverlight
> are indications of this.
>
> My intuision is that exact platform fidelity is going to become less
> important at least as compared to graphic design flexibility.
>

> Joerg

123456