Magic Words on XO

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

with a group of young students, we are willing to package the Magic
Word application for the XO.
Magic Word is a very nice open-source application written in
Squeak/Smalltalk, where kids are able to create animated world very
easily. Look at the web site for more information:
http://comikit.se/page_magicwords.html

What we want to do at the moment (organize by level of complexity):
- adapt the application to XO constraints (especially screen) and
release Magic Words as an xo application,
- add a support for UTF-8 and translate the application in Vietnamese,
- add a cooperative mode for Magic Words so the kids could tags the
animated characters cooperatively in an adhoc network.

The source code repository is available here:
http://www.squeaksource.com/MagicWords.html

We already do a meeting last week and another one is planned today.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Magic Words on XO

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> with a group of young students, we are willing to package the Magic
> Word application for the XO.
> Magic Word is a very nice open-source application written in
> Squeak/Smalltalk, where kids are able to create animated world very
> easily. Look at the web site for more information:
> http://comikit.se/page_magicwords.html
>
> What we want to do at the moment (organize by level of complexity):
> - adapt the application to XO constraints (especially screen) and
> release Magic Words as an xo application,
> - add a support for UTF-8 and translate the application in Vietnamese,
> - add a cooperative mode for Magic Words so the kids could tags the
> animated characters cooperatively in an adhoc network.
>
> The source code repository is available here:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/MagicWords.html
>
> We already do a meeting last week and another one is planned today.

A small report of our last meeting:
- we talked about the design of the application. Some work has to done
in order to understand how cooperative activities work on XO.
- we browse the existing code of Magic Words in order to understand
the software architecture. Regarding the vn translation, there is just
one file to translated, so it should not be too difficult to do it
hopefully. There is some problems with fonts for vietnamese that we
need to fix.

Regards,