Magic package installation

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
This might be totally far off, but is it possible to harness the experiences of the user community to match up packages with platform versions?

Imagine this:
Errors in installing projects are caught by a special object, which logs the error to a central online database.  Future installs check this database, and use the latest package versions known to work on that variant (e.g. Squeak 4.1).  This way, projects are installable even when they get a little out of sync with the underlying platforms, and the bug reports could even be sent to wherever the project maintainer wants so they don't have to be reported manually by individual users.

The key is that it would take some of the burden away from the project owner, and users wouldn't have to worry about it.

Sean DeNigris
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Magic package installation

Hannes Hirzel
Sean,

Yes this is an exciting idea. People should be able to publish lists
of package version combinations  for things which worked for them on a
central database

The grand theme for 4.2. is 'package management'.

So this is just the thing to talk about. I do not know however if it
is the right time now or if this should wait some weeks until the dust
with the release (last Saturday!) has settled.

--Hannes