Magma and Tweak

Dr Keith A. Morneau
I am writing simple educational applications for a customer that requires a good user interface with a database. So, I did some initial research and said, wow, Magma looks like a good choice and Tweak also looked like a good choice (I was also thinking about just using Morphic). I have been playing around with Croquet and Cobalt a bit also.

I am on a Mac so I loaded the current Squeak image and installed Magma. Now, when I try to use Monticello to install tweak from http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Tweak. I get an error that I attached. I am trying to use the install.mcm file. I did go back to use an older version of Monticello and got it to load to a certain point before it started syntax erroring on CObject and other classes. I did update the package to the most current and still gives me this error. I hope this helps.

I am brand new to Squeak and trying to learn the insides and out,

Thanks for any advice!

Keith

Squeak3.9-final-7067.image-1.jpg (85K) Download Attachment

Re: Magma and Tweak

Bert Freudenberg

On 10.04.2008, at 06:54, Dr Keith A. Morneau wrote:

> I am writing simple educational applications for a customer that
> requires a good user interface with a database. So, I did some
> initial research and said, wow, Magma looks like a good choice and
> Tweak also looked like a good choice (I was also thinking about just
> using Morphic). I have been playing around with Croquet and Cobalt a
> bit also.
>
> I am on a Mac so I loaded the current Squeak image and installed
> Magma. Now, when I try to use Monticello to install tweak from http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Tweak
> . I get an error that I attached. I am trying to use the install.mcm
> file. I did go back to use an older version of Monticello and got it
> to load to a certain point before it started syntax erroring on
> CObject and other classes. I did update the package to the most
> current and still gives me this error. I hope this helps.

The version of Monticello and MonticelloConfigurations from the
Hedgehog repository should work.

I'd try to start with the HomeBase image, it documents how to install
Tweak. Then load Magma.

Tweak will not load into a "current" Squeak image, it has not been
ported from 3.8, yet.

- Bert -

Re: Magma and Tweak

Dr Keith A. Morneau
Thanks for your response. I had to update SqueakMap to get the latest
release. I get a syntax eror on

Behavior *ma base additions maFirstCommentOrNilAt:

Does the latest release only support 3.9?

Thanks,
Keith

Re: Magma and Tweak

Dr Keith A. Morneau
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11.04.2008, at 05:56, Dr Keith A. Morneau wrote:
>
> > Let me clarify my last post. I used Homebase to start out and was able
> > to load Tweak successfully. I tried to load Magma and got the error
> > above in the Homebase image.
> >

>  Which error "above"? Please cite the relevant conversation when replying.
>

> > I am thinking about just using Morphic
> > for now since it appears it works with Magma pretty well and for my
> > purpose will do the job. I hope that Tweak will be updated since I
> > noticed that the maintainers are not maintaining it anymore.
> >

>  It is maintained as part of Croquet. But nobody is maintaining the website,
> which may lead to your impression.
>
>  - Bert -

Sorry, when I try to load Magma, I get the following syntax error:

Behavior *ma base additions maFirstCommentOrNilAt:

I did notice that it appears to be updated with Croquet. Yes, the web
site is out of date for sure
and most of the links do not work.

I hope this helps.

Keith

Re: Re: Magma and Tweak

Bert Freudenberg
> Sorry, when I try to load Magma, I get the following syntax error:
>
> Behavior *ma base additions maFirstCommentOrNilAt:

That is only half of a syntax error.

A common problem is that croquet by default disallows "_" for
assignment, it only accepts ":=". Magma may still use "_".

As mentioned at in the Croquet developr FAQ:
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Developer_FAQs
        Preferences enable: #allowUnderscoreAssignment.

- Bert -