Making DisplayScanner abstract

Nicolas Cellier
We have a DisplayScanner directly using BitBlt like in good old MVC days.
And we have CanvasCharacterScanner (should be CanvasDisplayScanner) using the alternative Canvas.
As I understand it, a Canvas enable rendering on other media and with other primitives than BitBlt (opengl or PostScript or...).

CanvasCharacterScanner is mostly unused - relegated in Morphic-Extra, used by an unsent paragraph2:bounds:color: and by hardly ever used RemoteCanvas (Nebraska).
But I have the feeling it could be interesting.

If that's the case, then we should better make DisplayScanner an abstract class (for various backend) so as to share many methods (rather than copying), and BitBltDisplayScanner would be a subclass with fast direct access to BitBlt, while CanvasDisplayScanner would be a generic class for Canvas case.

Thoughts?

Re: Making DisplayScanner abstract

timrowledge

On 09-10-2013, at 3:59 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a DisplayScanner directly using BitBlt like in good old MVC days.
> And we have CanvasCharacterScanner (should be CanvasDisplayScanner) using the alternative Canvas.
> As I understand it, a Canvas enable rendering on other media and with other primitives than BitBlt (opengl or PostScript or...).
>
> CanvasCharacterScanner is mostly unused - relegated in Morphic-Extra, used by an unsent paragraph2:bounds:color: and by hardly ever used RemoteCanvas (Nebraska).
> But I have the feeling it could be interesting.
>
> If that's the case, then we should better make DisplayScanner an abstract class (for various backend) so as to share many methods (rather than copying), and BitBltDisplayScanner would be a subclass with fast direct access to BitBlt, while CanvasDisplayScanner would be a generic class for Canvas case.
>
> Thoughts?

It sounds well worth trying out.

tim
Useful random insult:- Talks to plants on their own level.