Maturity of the pharo CMake build process?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
tty
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maturity of the pharo CMake build process?

tty
Hi Folks,

I am now working with the CMakeVMMaker on Pharo and am curious as to the maturity of the code before I tackle some build issues I am having with it.
Please note that I am NOT looking for an answer to this specific build issue--I can trace that down and fix it just fine. I merely need a sense of the community's sense of the tools robustness so I can keep that in mind as future issues come up.

I am currently using the source tree from  git clone git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git
and running the generator.image in the blessed/image directory that is downloaded via the newImage.sh script.

It seems to run really well except I am getting what looks like a basic error 

[ 95%] Building C object CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o
In file included from /home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:41:0:
/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h:17:54: fatal error: vmVersionInfo.h: No such file or directory
#include "vmVersionInfo.h" // defines REVISION_STRING

when running this script:

CogUnixConfig new
addExternalPlugins: #( FT2Plugin );
addInternalPlugins: #( UnixOSProcessPlugin );
"generateForDebug;"
generateSources; generate.

That missing #include threw up a red-flag for me (which I have not investigated) that made me question the tools maturity.

FWIW, I *really* like the approach of this tool. Having the configurations in their own objects makes perfect sense to me and it is nice to not have to deal with #IFNDEF foo #DEF bar  #UNLESS oops #THEN hack #ENDIF stuff.

The blessed/image/newImage.sh is a nice feature as well. 

thanks for your time.

tty

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Vm-dev] Maturity of the pharo CMake build process?

Igor Stasenko
This repository is largely outdated and no longer maintained.
The official Pharo Cog VM is now hosted on github:

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm

I feel sorry that you wasted your time on it :/

On 23 April 2014 18:24, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am now working with the CMakeVMMaker on Pharo and am curious as to the maturity of the code before I tackle some build issues I am having with it.
Please note that I am NOT looking for an answer to this specific build issue--I can trace that down and fix it just fine. I merely need a sense of the community's sense of the tools robustness so I can keep that in mind as future issues come up.

I am currently using the source tree from  git clone git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git
and running the generator.image in the blessed/image directory that is downloaded via the newImage.sh script.

[ 95%] Building C object CMakeFiles/CogVM.dir/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.o
In file included from /home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c:41:0:
/home/wm/usr/src/smalltalk/blessed/platforms/Cross/vm/sqSCCSVersion.h:17:54: fatal error: vmVersionInfo.h: No such file or directory

CogUnixConfig new
"generateForDebug;"

That missing #include threw up a red-flag for me (which I have not investigated) that made me question the tools maturity.

FWIW, I *really* like the approach of this tool. Having the configurations in their own objects makes perfect sense to me and it is nice to not have to deal with #IFNDEF foo #DEF bar  #UNLESS oops #THEN hack #ENDIF stuff.

thanks for your time.

tty

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by tty
hi, 

you are having two problems (one depending on the other).

1) you are using an old version. That branch was moved to http://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm like more than a year ago… there the scripts are outdated. 
2) in your version, before execute sh build.sh, you need to execute (in “build" dir): ../script[I really do not remember the subdir name]/extract-commit-info.sh

that should generate the vmVersionInfo.h file

but well… I highly recommend you to use the correct branch before continue. 

cheers, 
Esteban

On 23 Apr 2014, at 18:24, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am currently using the source tree from  git clone <a href="git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git">git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git

CogUnixConfig new
"generateForDebug;"

thanks for your time.

tty

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
he, I answered before getting the full thread. But well, the idea is there :)
I support the last commit idea :)

cheers, 
Esteban

On 24 Apr 2014, at 01:53, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

hi, 

you are having two problems (one depending on the other).

1) you are using an old version. That branch was moved to http://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm like more than a year ago… there the scripts are outdated. 
2) in your version, before execute sh build.sh, you need to execute (in “build" dir): ../script[I really do not remember the subdir name]/extract-commit-info.sh

that should generate the vmVersionInfo.h file

but well… I highly recommend you to use the correct branch before continue. 

cheers, 
Esteban

On 23 Apr 2014, at 18:24, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am currently using the source tree from  git clone <a href="git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git">git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git

CogUnixConfig new
"generateForDebug;"

thanks for your time.

tty