MaxOS X Spoon VM grief

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

        Well, I can't seem to get a new MacOS X Spoon VM to run, despite being
able to do it last February. I can build and run a vanilla VM from
John's 3.8.6b6 sources, but when I run a VM with the Spoon changes in it
(from http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/vmChanges.zip ),
on the Spoon control snapshot (from
http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/control.zip ), I get a
crash on a bad memory access; but the Xcode debugger just shows me
assembly, no source.

        My current motivation to build a new Spoon VM is to get faster graphics
on MacOS X. The last one I built (
http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/MacOSSpoonVM.zip ),
performs absurdly slowly in MVC (reported by Stéphane).

        I also tried building a MacOS X Spoon VM from Ian's "unix" sources. The
system starts, but the Display is all-black.

        Any help anyone can offer would be wonderful. Otherwise I guess I'll
just wait another N months, when perhaps the sources are different in
some good way, and try again... but I'd really rather make the Mac my
main machine.

        thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: MaxOS X Spoon VM grief

johnmci
Ok, I poked at this for a few minutes this afternoon.
The issue is that when building a debug VM under x-code it cheerfully
generates a zero-linked VM, meaning nothing is linked and routines are
dynamically loaded.
This causes a crash because Craig's VM changes overlaid with the latest
VMMaker resulted in two missing routines in interp.c. Since you don't
get a link failure you
don't know there is an issue until run time.

Adding the two routines makes the build and run successful.

I'll note that you can turn zero-linking off, which perhaps is a wise
decision when building a new hacked VM/plugins since it then lets you
know right away if you
are missing any routines, versus later and perhaps in a situation
that's harder to debug.

On Feb 24, 2005, at 2:02 AM, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
> Well, I can't seem to get a new MacOS X Spoon VM to run, despite
> being able to do it last February. I can build and run a vanilla VM
> from John's 3.8.6b6 sources, but when I run a VM with the Spoon
> changes in it (from
> http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/vmChanges.zip ), on
> the Spoon control snapshot (from
> http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/control.zip ), I get
> a crash on a bad memory access; but the Xcode debugger just shows me
> assembly, no source.
>
> My current motivation to build a new Spoon VM is to get faster
> graphics on MacOS X. The last one I built (
> http://www.netjam.org/spoon/releases/current/bits/MacOSSpoonVM.zip ),
> performs absurdly slowly in MVC (reported by Stéphane).
>
> I also tried building a MacOS X Spoon VM from Ian's "unix" sources.
> The system starts, but the Display is all-black.
>
> Any help anyone can offer would be wonderful. Otherwise I guess I'll
> just wait another N months, when perhaps the sources are different in
> some good way, and try again... but I'd really rather make the Mac my
> main machine.
>

> thanks,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> improvisational musical informaticist
> [hidden email]
> www.netjam.org
> [|] Proceed for Truth!

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

re: MaxOS X Spoon VM

ccrraaiigg

        Thanks again, John.

        I'll also point out that the interp.c we started from today is the
canned one I made available in March 2004 from the Spoon site, as
opposed to a freshly-VMMaker-generated one. It was the latter that I was
trying to get working yesterday. So now I'm going through the Smalltalk
source of my Interpreter changes to look for conflicts since Feb. 2004.

        But for now, there's a MacOS Spoon VM that works.

-C