Meeting Report for 4/21/2010

Bert Freudenberg
http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/meeting-report-for-4212010/

Last week we decided to do notes in a round-robin manner, so Bert is writing the report this time. Everyone except Randal was present (Andreas, Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan).

First we had some virtual champagne over the 4.1 release. Yay! Might need a little more publicizing though.

Joining the SFC is still a top-priority. We received a current draft of the agreement. We are putting it up here [1], please have a look if you are interested.

We spent some time discussing the new interest in documentation, which we are very excited about. To give this the proper visibility, we think it should be made part of the release, and also be linked directly from squeak.org. To arrive at a plan of action swifter than by week-long mailing list discussions, we suggest that the interested  folks meet on IRC soon.

Jecel pointed out that on the project list [2], there were few commercial applications listed done in Squeak. That might give the impression that the community was somehow opposed to commercial use, which couldn’t be further from the truth. So let’s add some commercial examples there (and if there are too many, make another page). Please send in links with a short description!

Finally we want to thank Ian Trudel for taking the initiative with surveying [3] the community. We support the initiative, and are eager to see the results so we can take them into account in our future work.

And remember, anyone subscribed to squeak-dev can now contact the Board directly at [hidden email] thanks to magic pixy dust sprinkled by Ken on every one of you!

[1] http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf
[2] http://www.squeak.org/Projects/
[3] http://lists.squeak.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149047.html

- Bert - (for the SOBs)

Re: Meeting Report for 4/21/2010

Derek O'Connell-2
Hi Bert, did you mean to repost last weeks mtg notes?

-D

On 26/04/10 22:12, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/meeting-report-for-4212010/
>
>  Last week we decided to do notes in a round-robin manner, so Bert is
> writing the report this time. Everyone except Randal was present
> (Andreas, Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan).
>
> First we had some virtual champagne over the 4.1 release. Yay! Might
> need a little more publicizing though.
>
> Joining the SFC is still a top-priority. We received a current draft
> of the agreement. We are putting it up here [1], please have a look
> if you are interested.
>
> We spent some time discussing the new interest in documentation,
> which we are very excited about. To give this the proper visibility,
> we think it should be made part of the release, and also be linked
> directly from squeak.org. To arrive at a plan of action swifter than
> by week-long mailing list discussions, we suggest that the interested
> folks meet on IRC soon.
>
> Jecel pointed out that on the project list [2], there were few
> commercial applications listed done in Squeak. That might give the
> impression that the community was somehow opposed to commercial use,
> which couldn’t be further from the truth. So let’s add some
> commercial examples there (and if there are too many, make another
> page). Please send in links with a short description!
>
> Finally we want to thank Ian Trudel for taking the initiative with
> surveying [3] the community. We support the initiative, and are eager
> to see the results so we can take them into account in our future
> work.
>
> And remember, anyone subscribed to squeak-dev can now contact the
> Board directly at [hidden email] thanks to magic pixy dust
> sprinkled by Ken on every one of you!
>
> [1]
> http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf [2]
> http://www.squeak.org/Projects/ [3]
> http://lists.squeak.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149047.html
>
> - Bert - (for the SOBs)

Re: Meeting Report for 4/21/2010

Bert Freudenberg
Yes. The Squeak Oversight Board meets twice a month. I had not posted these notes here yet because I was waiting on [1] to be uploaded.

- Bert -

On 27.04.2010, at 00:25, Derek O'Connell wrote:

> Hi Bert, did you mean to repost last weeks mtg notes?
>
> -D
>
> On 26/04/10 22:12, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/meeting-report-for-4212010/
>>
>> Last week we decided to do notes in a round-robin manner, so Bert is
>> writing the report this time. Everyone except Randal was present
>> (Andreas, Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan).
>>
>> First we had some virtual champagne over the 4.1 release. Yay! Might
>> need a little more publicizing though.
>>
>> Joining the SFC is still a top-priority. We received a current draft
>> of the agreement. We are putting it up here [1], please have a look
>> if you are interested.
>>
>> We spent some time discussing the new interest in documentation,
>> which we are very excited about. To give this the proper visibility,
>> we think it should be made part of the release, and also be linked
>> directly from squeak.org. To arrive at a plan of action swifter than
>> by week-long mailing list discussions, we suggest that the interested
>> folks meet on IRC soon.
>>
>> Jecel pointed out that on the project list [2], there were few
>> commercial applications listed done in Squeak. That might give the
>> impression that the community was somehow opposed to commercial use,
>> which couldn’t be further from the truth. So let’s add some
>> commercial examples there (and if there are too many, make another
>> page). Please send in links with a short description!
>>
>> Finally we want to thank Ian Trudel for taking the initiative with
>> surveying [3] the community. We support the initiative, and are eager
>> to see the results so we can take them into account in our future
>> work.
>>
>> And remember, anyone subscribed to squeak-dev can now contact the
>> Board directly at [hidden email] thanks to magic pixy dust
>> sprinkled by Ken on every one of you!
>>
>> [1]
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf [2]
>> http://www.squeak.org/Projects/ [3]
>> http://lists.squeak.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149047.html
>>
>> - Bert - (for the SOBs)

Re: Meeting Report for 4/21/2010

Derek O'Connell-2
ok, sorry.

On 26/04/10 23:31, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Yes. The Squeak Oversight Board meets twice a month. I had not posted these notes here yet because I was waiting on [1] to be uploaded.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 27.04.2010, at 00:25, Derek O'Connell wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bert, did you mean to repost last weeks mtg notes?
>>
>> -D
>>
>> On 26/04/10 22:12, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/meeting-report-for-4212010/
>>>
>>> Last week we decided to do notes in a round-robin manner, so Bert is
>>> writing the report this time. Everyone except Randal was present
>>> (Andreas, Bert, Chris, Craig, Jecel, Juan).
>>>
>>> First we had some virtual champagne over the 4.1 release. Yay! Might
>>> need a little more publicizing though.
>>>
>>> Joining the SFC is still a top-priority. We received a current draft
>>> of the agreement. We are putting it up here [1], please have a look
>>> if you are interested.
>>>
>>> We spent some time discussing the new interest in documentation,
>>> which we are very excited about. To give this the proper visibility,
>>> we think it should be made part of the release, and also be linked
>>> directly from squeak.org. To arrive at a plan of action swifter than
>>> by week-long mailing list discussions, we suggest that the interested
>>> folks meet on IRC soon.
>>>
>>> Jecel pointed out that on the project list [2], there were few
>>> commercial applications listed done in Squeak. That might give the
>>> impression that the community was somehow opposed to commercial use,
>>> which couldn’t be further from the truth. So let’s add some
>>> commercial examples there (and if there are too many, make another
>>> page). Please send in links with a short description!
>>>
>>> Finally we want to thank Ian Trudel for taking the initiative with
>>> surveying [3] the community. We support the initiative, and are eager
>>> to see the results so we can take them into account in our future
>>> work.
>>>
>>> And remember, anyone subscribed to squeak-dev can now contact the
>>> Board directly at [hidden email] thanks to magic pixy dust
>>> sprinkled by Ken on every one of you!
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf [2]
>>> http://www.squeak.org/Projects/ [3]
>>> http://lists.squeak.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149047.html
>>>
>>> - Bert - (for the SOBs)

comments on SFC agreement

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Nobody has made any comments on the current draft of the agreement we
plan to sign to join the SFC:

> http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf

I will take this as a sign that everyone is happy with this version and
that I should vote to approve it in tomorrow's board meeting. This will
bring to a close a process that has been dragging on since about 2004.

Cheers,
-- Jecel

Re: comments on SFC agreement

johnmci
Well since you asked.

A. The purpose of the Project is to produce and distribute software that can be freely copied, modified and redistributed by the general public (“Free Software”).

is that replacing the

MIT License

Copyright (c) The individual, corporate, and institutional contributors who have collectively contributed elements to this software ("The Squeak Community"), 1996-2010 All rights reserved.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.
--------------------------------

Or am I just confused by not assuming that:
"and be freely copied, modified and redistributed by the general public"
is the same as the MIT license?

On 2010-05-04, at 1:47 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Nobody has made any comments on the current draft of the agreement we
> plan to sign to join the SFC:
>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/docs/squeak-sponsorship-agreement-apr19.pdf
>
> I will take this as a sign that everyone is happy with this version and
> that I should vote to approve it in tomorrow's board meeting. This will
> bring to a close a process that has been dragging on since about 2004.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Jecel

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

On 04.05.2010, at 15:47, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Well since you asked.
>
> A. The purpose of the Project is to produce and distribute software that can be freely copied, modified and redistributed by the general public (“Free Software”).
>
> is that replacing the
>
> MIT License
>
> Copyright (c) The individual, corporate, and institutional contributors who have collectively contributed elements to this software ("The Squeak Community"), 1996-2010 All rights reserved.
>
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>
> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
> THE SOFTWARE.
> --------------------------------
>
> Or am I just confused by not assuming that:
> "and be freely copied, modified and redistributed by the general public"
> is the same as the MIT license?

It's intended to mean the same, yes. Where do you see a difference?

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 04.05.2010, at 15:47, John M McIntosh wrote:
> > Or am I just confused by not assuming that:
> > "and be freely copied, modified and redistributed by the general public"
> > is the same as the MIT license?
>
> It's intended to mean the same, yes. Where do you see a difference?

Actually, our software is a mix of Apache 2, MIT (X11, actually) and GPL
(parts of the Unix VM) and I feel that this phrase in the agreement is
equivalent to this. In particular, all three are listed in the
"GPL-Compatible Free Software Licenses" section of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

On 2010-05-04, at 3:54 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> ?
>
> It's intended to mean the same, yes. Where do you see a difference?
>
> - Bert -

One is called (“Free Software”) the other is called ("MIT License")

One is explicit, the other can mean any variation of the class of  "Free Software" licenses?
But if you ARE in fact restricting a license to use for contributions to Squeak as per  http://squeak.org/SqueakLicense/
then should you indicate that up front, or imply you are accepting any "Free Software" license?

On 04.05.2010, at 16:18, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-05-04, at 3:54 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> ?
>>
>> It's intended to mean the same, yes. Where do you see a difference?
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> One is called (“Free Software”) the other is called ("MIT License")

Both MIT and Apache licenses are Free Software licenses. Those are the one we use. I do not see a contradiction.

> One is explicit, the other can mean any variation of the class of  "Free Software" licenses?

It could, theoretically. We don't intend to accept any other license than MIT. But that agreement isn't a contributor's agreement, it does not actually specify the licenses we allow into Squeak. It's not supposed to.

> But if you ARE in fact restricting a license to use for contributions to Squeak as per  http://squeak.org/SqueakLicense/
> then should you indicate that up front, or imply you are accepting any "Free Software" license?

These are the terms under which we join the SFC. We as Squeak project want to engage in producing Free Software - that's all that is stated there. If we didn't, the SFC would not accept us as member. That is the reason we have to state it.

What is the problem you perceive with this wording? To me it seemed quite understandable and acceptable.

- Bert -

On 2010-05-04, at 4:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>  But that agreement isn't a contributor's agreement, it does not actually specify the licenses we allow into Squeak. It's not supposed to.

Ah, well that was the clarification I was looking for, I've no problem with that give you've all understood what it means then.

On 04.05.2010, at 16:43, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-05-04, at 4:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> But that agreement isn't a contributor's agreement, it does not actually specify the licenses we allow into Squeak. It's not supposed to.
>

> Ah, well that was the clarification I was looking for, I've no problem with that give you've all understood what it means then.

Well, it's important that someone other than us read it too. Thanks! :)

- Bert -

Re: comments on SFC agreement

Josh Gargus

On May 4, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Well, it's important that someone other than us read it too. Thanks! :)

I also read it when it was first made available to us.  I had no concerns with it.

Cheers,
Josh