🎄 Merry christmas 🎄

Christoph Thiede

Dear all!

It's now one and a half year since I met Smalltalk and Squeak. And I am convinced that it was the best thing that could have happened to me! I am very grateful that this beautiful ecosystem exists, a haven of simple expressivity and usability, of liveness and explorability, and a haven of collaborativity. And I am even more grateful that still in 2019, where more and more hip, short-lived environments & languages attract your attention (of which, certainly, many may be smart and useful, but most definitely, hardly anyone will come close to Squeak in terms of abstraction and modifiability) - even today, you are being here and keep contributing to Squeak!

I would like to thank you for all the energy you daily put into development and maintenance of Squeak, and for being such a great community.

</laudation> ;-)

This year, I had the idea to celebrate Squeak with a small collection of XmasDecorations. These include several small modifications of the Trunk image, with the aim to bring the Christmas spirit into our favorite system. They're nothing special, but I think they are a good example for the advantages of Squeak's universal extensibility:

Features include, but are not limited to:

⭐ a Christmas theme (compatible with your preferred UI theme, supports both light & dark mode)

⭐ a new full-screen WallpaperMorph

⭐ dynamic snow blizzards (with performance optimization)

⭐ and further, more or less hidden features!

If you would like to download it, you are cordially invited to do so! Everything you need to do is:

  1. Update your Trunk image
  2. Do it:
    Metacello new
       baseline: 'XmasDecorations';
       repository: 'github://LinqLover/XmasDecorations:release/packages';
       load.
  3. And don't be afraid of Christmas Every Day, the integrated Christmas Detection™ will automatically undecorate your image on January, 6th (unless you opt-out via Apps > XmasDecorations)!
The graphics were created in cooperation with a few fellow students and a lot of Google; but in the main, I'm an enthusiast in terms of software design, not of graphics design, so don't expect an artistic masterpiece :P

The source code can be found on GitHub. I don't need to say that every kind of feedback or contribution is highly welcome.

I would like to wish you lots of fun with XmasDecorations & Squeak in general, and a merry Christmas time, online as well as offline.

Best regards,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

FileTree initialization [Was 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

  Christoph, first off all thank you!! A lovely idea.

scripts
postLoad
(PackageInfo named: #XmasDecorations) classes do: #initialize.
XmasDecorations install.
XmasDecorationsController open.

Is this the default code generated for initializations?  If so, it is very dangerous, because if a class *doesn't* implement initialize this will end up running the superclass's initialize, which could be disastrous.

Instead this code should read something like

scripts
postLoad
(PackageInfo named: #XmasDecorations) classes do: [:class| (class class includesSelector: #initialize.

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    (ignore the previous message; finger trouble)

Hi All,

  Christoph, first off all thank you!! A lovely idea.

scripts
postLoad
(PackageInfo named: #XmasDecorations) classes do: #initialize.
XmasDecorations install.
XmasDecorationsController open.

Is this the default code generated for initializations?  If so, it is very dangerous, because if a class *doesn't* implement initialize this will end up running the superclass's initialize, which could be disastrous.

Instead this code should read something like

scripts
postLoad
((PackageInfo named: #XmasDecorations) classes select: [:class| (class class includesSelector: #initialize]) do: #initialize.
[...]

Re: FileTree initialization [Was 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄]

Levente Uzonyi
#initialize is sent to all newly loaded classes which implement it
directly. So, sending it explicitly is unnecessary, and dangerous, as
Eliot pointed it out.

Levente

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> [...]
>
> Metacello new
>    baseline: 'XmasDecorations';
>    repository: 'github://LinqLover/XmasDecorations:release/packages';
>    load.
>  3. And don't be afraid of Christmas Every Day, the integrated Christmas Detection™ will automatically undecorate your image on January, 6th (unless you opt-out via Apps > XmasDecorations)!
> The graphics were created in cooperation with a few fellow students and a lot of Google; but in the main, I'm an enthusiast in terms of software design, not of graphics design, so don't expect an artistic masterpiece :P
>
> The source code can be found on GitHub. I don't need to say that every kind of feedback or contribution is highly welcome.
>
> I would like to wish you lots of fun with XmasDecorations & Squeak in general, and a merry Christmas time, online as well as offline.

Re: 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄

Nicola Mingotti

Very nice said Christoph !

Merry Christmas to you, to our group and whole World ! :)

bye
Nicola

On Dec 15, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<pastedImage.png>

Features include, but are not limited to:
⭐ a Christmas theme (compatible with your preferred UI theme, supports both light & dark mode)
⭐ a new full-screen WallpaperMorph
⭐ dynamic snow blizzards (with performance optimization)
⭐ and further, more or less hidden features!

If you would like to download it, you are cordially invited to do so! Everything you need to do is:

  1. Update your Trunk image
  2. Do it:
    Metacello new
       baseline: 'XmasDecorations';
       repository: '<a href="github://LinqLover/XmasDecorations:release/packages" class="">github://LinqLover/XmasDecorations:release/packages';
       load.
  3. And don't be afraid of Christmas Every Day, the integrated Christmas Detection™ will automatically undecorate your image on January, 6th (unless you opt-out via Apps > XmasDecorations)!
The graphics were created in cooperation with a few fellow students and a lot of Google; but in the main, I'm an enthusiast in terms of software design, not of graphics design, so don't expect an artistic masterpiece :P

The source code can be found on GitHub. I don't need to say that every kind of feedback or contribution is highly welcome.

I would like to wish you lots of fun with XmasDecorations & Squeak in general, and a merry Christmas time, online as well as offline.

Best regards,
Christoph

Re: 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] ?? Merry christmas ?? From the hot south I wish all Merry Christmas
For old people in list here at 2005 and before attach some which works in 3.10 (Ralph and me release)
I try to have a 5.3 version if possible.
How to play .
Drag and drop on a compatible .image , go full screen and you listen a .midi version of O Tannenbaum with deustche test scrolling frombottom to top.

For amaze friends I recommend listen the sing version of 1907 recorded in Edison cylinders
http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?query_type=call_number&query=cylinder4399&nq=1

Always ready to trade some snow for hot air :=)

Edgar

Navidad.morph (106K) Download Attachment

Re: FileTree initialization [Was 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄]

Christoph Thiede

Hi, thank you for the feedback!

It is indeed interesting to read that Object class >> #initialize does not call super. I always thought this would be an important idiom ...

Will fix this soon.

Best,
Christoph

> [...]

> Metacello new
>    baseline: 'XmasDecorations';
>    repository: 'github://LinqLover/XmasDecorations:release/packages';
>    load.
>  3. And don't be afraid of Christmas Every Day, the integrated Christmas Detection™ will automatically undecorate your image on January, 6th (unless you opt-out via Apps > XmasDecorations)!
> The graphics were created in cooperation with a few fellow students and a lot of Google; but in the main, I'm an enthusiast in terms of software design, not of graphics design, so don't expect an artistic masterpiece :P
>
> The source code can be found on GitHub. I don't need to say that every kind of feedback or contribution is highly welcome.
>
> I would like to wish you lots of fun with XmasDecorations & Squeak in general, and a merry Christmas time, online as well as offline.

Carpe Squeak!

Re: 🎄 Merry christmas 🎄

Ron Teitelbaum
Happy holidays everyone! Here is to a wonderful new year to follow. Nice work Christoph!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum