Mesh Networking for Etoys?

Steve Thomas
So I have been playing with ScratchConnect for Etoys, Scratch/BYOB and python (scripts here) and was able to connect all three and exchange messages using the Remote Sensor Protocol developed for Scratch.

So I see this can be used in a couple of ways:
  1. Have Etoys and Scratch interact where one computer is the Game Board and the others are game controllers (or they are all a combination of both)
  2. Multi-player games
  3. An Etoy project that "reacts" to external events (ex: animations fire when you receive a tweet or a remote sensor in your room detects that your little brother/sister has broken into your room without proper authorization).
  4. Interface to robotics using Python interfaces (or using Physical Etoys and a controller on an iPad)
  5. Interface to Social Networking sites using Python interfaces (example auto-post to a blog using the Google APIs)
  6. All of the above using a web site as the Mesh Relay
So my questions are:
  1. Am I over simplifying? What am I missing as to why this wouldn't work?
  2. Can we add ScratchConnect with one enhancement (similar to those in BYOB) where the Etoy project can act as a HOST (ie: no need for a Scratch project to relay the messages) or simply join a Mesh
  3. Can we setup a "Web Relay service" where kids (like me :) can setup private Mesh Networks and interact and play? How hard would this be and what would it take?
  4. The ScratchConnect interface currently does not support serializing and transporting objects (ie: it would be great if I could "serialize a morph" send it over the ScratchConnect interface to another Etoys project and have it appear there).  I know there was work like this with either the Nebraska Server, ?NetMorph? et al, but I like the simplicity of the ScratchConnect  interface.

Stephen

Re: Mesh Networking for Etoys?

R.D. Latimer
This sounds interesting, I'm not sure how it will all work/be implemented, but looks good as an idea.  We'll be working with all of these languages this year (Fairfax Cty VA), so this could fit nicely.

Is WeScheme/Racket something that could work with this too?  Bootstrapworld initiative is using that platform,

Randy Latimer

http://www.bootstrapworld.org/
http://www.wescheme.org/
http://racket-lang.org/

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Karl Ramberg

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM, R.D. Latimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Someone needs to do the work of integrating the code.
  1. Can we setup a "Web Relay service" where kids (like me :) can setup private Mesh Networks and interact and play? How hard would this be and what would it take?
 Most likely, but  we do not have anybody working on it...
Just 2-3 work on Etoys bug fix and development now it seems.

  1. The ScratchConnect interface currently does not support serializing and transporting objects (ie: it 'would be great if I could "serialize a morph" send it over the ScratchConnect interface to another Etoys project and have it appear there).  I know there was work like this with either the Nebraska Server, ?NetMorph? et al, but I like the simplicity of the ScratchConnect  interface.
NetMorphs can be sent over the net.
It's a big job to integrate it.
Croquet has lot's of network and chairing that can be integrated. Scratch as well.

Karl

Stephen