Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

I did not follow the recent Metacello discussions again, but just now in my fresh Trunk image, Metacello new failed again multiple times saying 'retry with alternate repository failed: ''MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>contentStreamFromEncoding:'''. Is this a known problem? How can I solve this without waiting for any server to be online again?

After this command failed, you cannot even retry it, because #Metacello is no longer a registered class in the image. This is rather inconvenient ...

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Beckmann, Tom
Hi Christoph,

the smalltalkhub servers recently had some reconfigurations that are potentially the culprit [1] (just heard back, they are already on it :)). I attached a .sar for bootstrapping based on this issue's [2] suggestion for a new bootstrapping process that should allow you to get a working metacello in the meantime.

Best,
Tom

[1] http://forum.world.st/VOMongoConnectionError-when-dowloading-mcz-from-smalltalkhub-com-tp5120870p5121135.html
[2] https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/issues/524

metacello.sar (720K) Download Attachment

Re: Metacello broken again

Beckmann, Tom
...and now the servers are fixed, too :) http://forum.world.st/VOMongoConnectionError-when-dowloading-mcz-from-smalltalkhub-com-tp5120870p5121140.html

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

I would not reply to this thread if I did not perceive a similar issue just again.

Installer ensureRecentMetacello --> Could not resolve: BaselineOfMetacello [BaselineOfMetacello] in C:\path\to\package-cache github://Metacello/metacello:master/repository ERROR: 'GoferRepositoryError: UndefinedObject>>isAlphaNumeric'

Are there any server errors again? The SAR works, of course, but if I try to #installGitInfrastructure after loading the SAR and skip #ensureRecentMetacello, I receive another error: MessageNotUnderstood: Array>>setLoadsInMetacelloProject: from MetacelloCypressBaselineProjectSpec(MetacelloProjectSpec)>>loads:.

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

am I the only person to still face this issue? Not even Tom's Metacello SAR is allowing me to install any Metacello packages any longer, and I cannot install Squot for the same reason. This is very disruptive for me because I cannot set up a new image with any packages.

Is there any one who could fix the servers just another time? :-)

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede
Alright, it works. You must not try to install the SAR after running
Metacello new once - even the attempt to install Metacello breaks the
things.

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Squeak - Dev mailing list
WHAT is the SAR?

thx

---- On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 19:09:21 -0400 [hidden email] wrote ----

Alright, it works. You must not try to install the SAR after running
Metacello new once - even the attempt to install Metacello breaks the
things.

Best,
Christoph

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede
> WHAT is the SAR?

See Tom's attachment from this post:
http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=5123118

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 05:55:10AM -0500, Christoph Thiede wrote:
> > WHAT is the SAR?
>
> See Tom's attachment from this post:
> http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=5123118

See also the class comment of SARInstaller for an explanation of the SAR format.

The SARBuilder tool can be loaded from the SqueakMap installer.

Dave

Re: Metacello broken again

Christoph Thiede

There is already a SARBuilder? I reinvented the wheel only yesterday ... ^^

Best,

Christoph

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 05:55:10AM -0500, Christoph Thiede wrote:
> > WHAT is the SAR?
>
> See Tom's attachment from this post:
> http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=5123118

See also the class comment of SARInstaller for an explanation of the SAR format.

The SARBuilder tool can be loaded from the SqueakMap installer.

Dave

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Metacello broken again

Squeak - Dev mailing list