Minimalist 3D

Ross Boylan-2
Does squeak, or some addon, support a kind of minimalist CAD
functionality?  I'm trying to keep track of/sort/weed my stuff, and I
have lots of boxes in a storage room.  I've drawn a diagram on a piece
of paper, but it's awkward because the boxes are stacked on shelves and
distributed in all 3 dimensions.

So, I'd like to make a little graphical box (either by drawing or
program) and position it in space.  Then I could associate some text
with the contents.

The only visually exotic part is that it would be nice to have a picture
of the box on the box too, e.g., from taking a photo and carving it up.

I could try a straight CAD/3D tool, but, aside from being overkill, I
don't think it would let me work with data in the objects (like my list
of stuff).  So I'm hoping squeak has something.

I notice there is an application called Plopp that might fit, and
Croquet has some 3D stuff.  But croquet is also pretty heavyweight, and
it looks as if I'd need to program opengl to use the 3d.  The croquest
pages refer you to 3rd party 3D modelers for making avatars.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Ross

Re: Minimalist 3D

tblanchard
I'd probably just use Google's SketchUp for something like that.  It
is free.

On Jun 16, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Does squeak, or some addon, support a kind of minimalist CAD
> functionality?  I'm trying to keep track of/sort/weed my stuff, and I
> have lots of boxes in a storage room.  I've drawn a diagram on a piece
> of paper, but it's awkward because the boxes are stacked on shelves
> and
> distributed in all 3 dimensions.
>
> So, I'd like to make a little graphical box (either by drawing or
> program) and position it in space.  Then I could associate some text
> with the contents.
>
> The only visually exotic part is that it would be nice to have a
> picture
> of the box on the box too, e.g., from taking a photo and carving it
> up.
>
> I could try a straight CAD/3D tool, but, aside from being overkill, I
> don't think it would let me work with data in the objects (like my
> list
> of stuff).  So I'm hoping squeak has something.
>
> I notice there is an application called Plopp that might fit, and
> Croquet has some 3D stuff.  But croquet is also pretty heavyweight,
> and
> it looks as if I'd need to program opengl to use the 3d.  The croquest
> pages refer you to 3rd party 3D modelers for making avatars.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
> Ross

Re: Minimalist 3D

Karl Ramberg
Did you look at Balloon3D ? I think you'll find it on SqueakMap and
other places. I'm not sure it will work on images > 3.8 either but
you'll get basic 3D and can add VRML objects, plopp drawing, Wonderland
scripting etc

Karl