Mirroring SqueakSource repositories?

Andreas.Raab
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know if it's possible to basically mirror SqueakSource
repositories? What I'm looking for is something where I can have a
downstream repository that (for simple purposes of added reliability)
mirrors an upstream repository. While this can be done manually, it's
kinda tedious to do this for a number of repositories so I'm interested
in an automated way of doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Re: Mirroring SqueakSource repositories?

Frank Shearar
"Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anybody know if it's possible to basically mirror SqueakSource
> repositories? What I'm looking for is something where I can have a
> downstream repository that (for simple purposes of added reliability)
> mirrors an upstream repository. While this can be done manually, it's
> kinda tedious to do this for a number of repositories so I'm interested
> in an automated way of doing this.
>
> Any ideas?

For my own HTTP repositories I just wget with a cron job. I presume you're
looking for something a bit more intelligent?

It'd be handy if a Monticello repository could subscribe to another
repository, and that repository could use MCVersionNotification to notify
the downstream repository. Right now it looks like MCVersionNotification
only notifies via mail, but I don't think it'd be too hard (he says not
knowing MC's source at all) to allow one to put arbitrary URLs in the
'notify' file, and MCVersionNotification would do the right thing when it
read 'mailto:foo@bar' or 'sip:foo@bar' or 'http://rss.foo.bar/', or
'mc://foo.bar'.

frank

Re: Mirroring SqueakSource repositories?

stéphane ducasse-2
I know an extension (by noury and co) that allows one to publish on
multiple repositories.
It does not solve your problem.

Stef

On 28 févr. 06, at 09:23, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anybody know if it's possible to basically mirror SqueakSource
> repositories? What I'm looking for is something where I can have a
> downstream repository that (for simple purposes of added
> reliability) mirrors an upstream repository. While this can be done
> manually, it's kinda tedious to do this for a number of
> repositories so I'm interested in an automated way of doing this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>   - Andreas

Re: Mirroring SqueakSource repositories?

Noury Bouraqadi
It's Monticello-MultiRep made by Michaël Piel.
see http://www.squeaksource.com/MonticelloMultiRep.html.
It's add a "Save All" button to MonticelloBrowser. A single click
allows saving your package on
multiple repositories possibly on multiple servers.

We're currently using it at Douai, since we use a private SqueakSource
server together with squeaksource.com

Noury
Le 28 févr. 06, à 14:08, stéphane ducasse a écrit :

> I know an extension (by noury and co) that allows one to publish on
> multiple repositories.
> It does not solve your problem.
>
> Stef
>
> On 28 févr. 06, at 09:23, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Does anybody know if it's possible to basically mirror SqueakSource
>> repositories? What I'm looking for is something where I can have a
>> downstream repository that (for simple purposes of added
>> reliability) mirrors an upstream repository. While this can be done
>> manually, it's kinda tedious to do this for a number of
>> repositories so I'm interested in an automated way of doing this.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   - Andreas

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Frank Shearar wrote:
> For my own HTTP repositories I just wget with a cron job. I presume you're
> looking for something a bit more intelligent?

Well, not necessarily. If that works, it's certainly a good start. One
question about this: If you do this, show these mirrored packages up in
the SqueakSource web UI or not? (I'd like them to show properly)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Mirroring SqueakSource repositories?

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 01.03.2006 um 00:44 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Frank Shearar wrote:
>> For my own HTTP repositories I just wget with a cron job. I
>> presume you're
>> looking for something a bit more intelligent?
>
> Well, not necessarily. If that works, it's certainly a good start.
> One question about this: If you do this, show these mirrored
> packages up in the SqueakSource web UI or not? (I'd like them to
> show properly)

Nope. All the meta-information, like what versions are available, who
uploaded them, etc. are in the image.

However, you can just use a regular webserver to serve these files -
just make sure it shows indexes. For a backup that's probably
sufficient.

- Bert -