Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing MC notification

timrowledge
Well this is odd; a couple of hours ago I committed a revision to the Morphic package but no message has arrived from [hidden email]. Did I kill something?

OK, so just as a way to avoid nasty surprises, there is the commit comment -

DockingBarMorph - don't allow editing of menu items unless a preference is set. It isn't something you want in a production application.
The squeak menu ought to be a DockingBarMenuMorph, not a plain menu morph.
MenuMorph>popUpAdjacentTo:forHand:from: misuses 'owner owner' instead of 'world'
Add option for dragged Morphs to tell the Hand that they handlewhat happens when being dragged; useful for dragging Morphs that take a long time to draw the shadow, or perhaps want to render quite differently etc.

The ugly bit I don’t like is DockingBarItemMorph>>#wantsKeyboardFocusOnShiftClick and how it seems I need to handle the preference. To add  pref more directly would require modification of a System package, which seems overkill. Ideas?

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: GLV: Ground the Line Voltage

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Missing MC notification

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tim,

there is no upddate from you available for the Morphic package. :-/ Last version in the update stream is mt.1037.

Best,
Marcel
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by timrowledge
> Well this is odd; a couple of hours ago I committed a revision to the Morphic package but no message has arrived from [hidden email]. Did I kill something?
>
> OK, so just as a way to avoid nasty surprises, there is the commit comment -
>
> DockingBarMorph - don't allow editing of menu items unless a preference is set. It isn't something you want in a production application.

Why?  Users often like to label things to their purpose or liking.  It
seems harmless enough....?

> The squeak menu ought to be a DockingBarMenuMorph, not a plain menu morph.

Hmm, a docking bar docks against the edge of the screen, a plain menu doesn't..

> MenuMorph>popUpAdjacentTo:forHand:from: misuses 'owner owner' instead of 'world'
> Add option for dragged Morphs to tell the Hand that they handlewhat happens when being dragged; useful for dragging Morphs that take a long time to draw the shadow, or perhaps want to render quite differently etc.
>
> The ugly bit I don’t like is DockingBarItemMorph>>#wantsKeyboardFocusOnShiftClick and how it seems I need to handle the preference. To add  pref more directly would require modification of a System package, which seems overkill. Ideas?

Maybe instead of a new preference how about simply removing
StringMorph>>#handlesMouseDown: and let external apps register /
unregister their own eventHandler (see Morph>>#handlesMouseDown:)?

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by marcel.taeumel

> On 13-11-2015, at 11:01 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> there is no upddate from you available for the Morphic package. :-/ Last
> version in the update stream is mt.1037.

Apparently I sent it to http://source.squeak.org/squeak50 instead of trunk. I’ve just now worked out that ‘copy’ can move a package, so that might fix it. I *don’t know how to remove the unwanted package from the squeak50 repository.

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by Chris Muller-3

> On 14-11-2015, at 9:33 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> DockingBarMorph - don't allow editing of menu items unless a preference is set. It isn't something you want in a production application.
>
> Why?  Users often like to label things to their purpose or liking.  It
> seems harmless enough….?

Really? Having kids able to mangle the UI and mess up a lesson doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Not to mention that the editing isn’t done terribly attractively - the fonts don’t match, the colours used are grody etc. For developers, okay, whatever. End-users? Not so much.

>
>> The squeak menu ought to be a DockingBarMenuMorph, not a plain menu morph.
>
> Hmm, a docking bar docks against the edge of the screen, a plain menu doesn't..

Err, wrong class. The menus for a docking bar need to be a little different. The squeakMenu was left behind and just needed bringing into the fold.

>
>> MenuMorph>popUpAdjacentTo:forHand:from: misuses 'owner owner' instead of 'world'
>> Add option for dragged Morphs to tell the Hand that they handlewhat happens when being dragged; useful for dragging Morphs that take a long time to draw the shadow, or perhaps want to render quite differently etc.
>>
>> The ugly bit I don’t like is DockingBarItemMorph>>#wantsKeyboardFocusOnShiftClick and how it seems I need to handle the preference. To add  pref more directly would require modification of a System package, which seems overkill. Ideas?
>
> Maybe instead of a new preference how about simply removing
> StringMorph>>#handlesMouseDown: and let external apps register /
> unregister their own eventHandler (see Morph>>#handlesMouseDown:)?

No idea. If it would work better and allow me to lock it out of the range of Scratch using kids I don’t care how it’s done.

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: PFM: Pray For Miracle

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by timrowledge
On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 11:34:56AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

>
> > On 13-11-2015, at 11:01 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > there is no upddate from you available for the Morphic package. :-/ Last
> > version in the update stream is mt.1037.
>
> Apparently I sent it to http://source.squeak.org/squeak50 instead of trunk. I???ve just now worked out that ???copy??? can move a package, so that might fix it. I *don???t know how to remove the unwanted package from the squeak50 repository.
>

I deleted it from squeak50.

You can do this from the source.squeak.org web interface. Go to the "latest"
tab, find the version you want to get rid of, click "details" then click
on the "Delete Version" option on the left side of the page under "Actions".

Dave