MixedMorph for kids

Jerome Peace
[Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids

Hi Subbu,

There is a ear to ear grin across my face as I read
your daughters comments.

The enhancements I made to polygons that lead up to
Mixed Morphs would work in 3.8.

I don't know who is maintaining 3.8 or the squeak
plugins. If they contact me I would be happy to assist
getting my work backported.

The basic code is on Bob's superswiki at:
http://209.143.91.36/super/700

I want to see what kids would do if let loose with
these things.

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace.

***

>  [Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids
>  subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
>  Mon May 7 03:47:53 PDT 2007
>
>  Hi,
>
>  My 6-year old's favorite object is the "MixedMorph"
in
>  Squeak 3.9 because of
>  the way it handles like putty. She uses it to
create
>  all kinds of shapes and
>  pictures. She misses it in Squeakland plugin image.
>
>  Will MixedMorph make it into the Plugin image?
>
>  Regards .. Subbu

***

Re: MixedMorph for kids

Karl-19
Jerome Peace wrote:

> [Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids
>

> Hi Subbu,
>
> There is a ear to ear grin across my face as I read
> your daughters comments.
>
> The enhancements I made to polygons that lead up to
> Mixed Morphs would work in 3.8.
>
> I don't know who is maintaining 3.8 or the squeak
> plugins. If they contact me I would be happy to assist
> getting my work backported.
>
> The basic code is on Bob's superswiki at:
> http://209.143.91.36/super/700
>
> I want to see what kids would do if let loose with
> these things.
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace.

I like the mix of straight and smooth segments but is there a way to
create the blue dots when I pull on the green triangles  ?
I get only the yellow ones that make the soft curve.

Karl

> ***
>

>>  [Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids
>>  subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
>>  Mon May 7 03:47:53 PDT 2007
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  My 6-year old's favorite object is the "MixedMorph"
>>
> in
>
>>  Squeak 3.9 because of
>>  the way it handles like putty. She uses it to
>>
> create
>
>>  all kinds of shapes and
>>  pictures. She misses it in Squeakland plugin image.
>>
>>  Will MixedMorph make it into the Plugin image?
>>
>>  Regards .. Subbu
>>

> ***

> Get your own web address.

Re: MixedMorph for kids

Karl-19
Karl wrote:

> Jerome Peace wrote:
>> [Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids
>>

>> Hi Subbu,
>>
>> There is a ear to ear grin across my face as I read
>> your daughters comments.
>>
>> The enhancements I made to polygons that lead up to
>> Mixed Morphs would work in 3.8.
>>
>> I don't know who is maintaining 3.8 or the squeak
>> plugins. If they contact me I would be happy to assist
>> getting my work backported.
>>
>> The basic code is on Bob's superswiki at: http://209.143.91.36/super/700
>>
>> I want to see what kids would do if let loose with
>> these things.
>>
>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jeorme Peace.
>>

> I like the mix of straight and smooth segments but is there a way to
> create the blue dots when I pull on the green triangles  ?
> I get only the yellow ones that make the soft curve.
>
> Karl
Duh, double click on them does it.

Karl

>> ***
>>

>>>  [Squeakland] MixedMorph for kids
>>>  subbukk subbukk at gmail.com  Mon May 7 03:47:53 PDT 2007
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  My 6-year old's favorite object is the "MixedMorph"
>>>
>> in
>>
>>>  Squeak 3.9 because of  the way it handles like putty. She uses it to
>>>
>> create
>>
>>>  all kinds of shapes and  pictures. She misses it in Squeakland
>>> plugin image.
>>>
>>>  Will MixedMorph make it into the Plugin image?
>>>
>>>  Regards .. Subbu
>>>

>> ***

>> Get your own web address.  Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small
>> Business.
>> http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL

Re: MixedMorph for kids

Karl-19
Ok, here is a eToy blob morph developed in the OLPC image

Karl

Alan Kay wrote:

> Hi Karl --
>
> Please send us this Etoy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> --------------
>
> At 01:42 PM 5/8/2007, karl wrote:
>> subbukk wrote:

>>> It is so refreshing to look at the world through kids' eyes. For
>>> instance, she called a two vertex Mixed a 'rubber band'. Well, so it
>>> is! Mixed is really fun to play with.

>>> I filed in the cs into SqueakPlugin image and got Mixed morph in
>>> objects. I didnt use it extensively, but all basic operations seemed
>>> to work fine.

>>> I wonder if it is possible to manipulate vertices through Morphic
>>> Viewer? Then kids could create their own Blobs, model collisions of
>>> squishy objects and so on.
>> I did that in the OLPC image just a few days ago but it seems the
>> vertices option has disappeared !?
>> There have been lots of stuff happening to the OLPC image lately so I
>> guess it's just a temporary outage.
>> Anyway, I made a blob morph that worked just like the one in the
>> image with just a few tiles of etoy. It was a fun experiment.
>>
>> Karl

EtoyBlob.002.pr (82K) Download Attachment

Re: MixedMorph for kids

Alan Kay
Thanks Karl --

A nice simple fun Etoy!

(We definitely have to make the poly control points bigger for the
OLPC screen.)

Cheers,

Alan

-----------

At 11:10 PM 5/8/2007, karl wrote:

>Ok, here is a eToy blob morph developed in the OLPC image
>
>Karl
>
>Alan Kay wrote:
>>Hi Karl --
>>
>>Please send us this Etoy.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>--------------

>>>I did that in the OLPC image just a few days ago but it seems the
>>>vertices option has disappeared !?
>>>There have been lots of stuff happening to the OLPC image lately
>>>so I guess it's just a temporary outage.
>>>Anyway, I made a blob morph that worked just like the one in the
>>>image with just a few tiles of etoy. It was a fun experiment.
>>>
>>>Karl

Re: MixedMorph for kids

Karl-19
Alan Kay wrote:
> Thanks Karl --
>
> A nice simple fun Etoy!
>
> (We definitely have to make the poly control points bigger for the
> OLPC screen.)
It's hard to tell on my hardware...
Send me one and I'll do it ASAP ;-)

Karl