Monicello Branches

Steven W Riggins
Hi!

I am totally baffled by MC branches.  We have a large project
consisting of over 20 packages and now there is a bunch of code that
is checked in, but I cannot load because I'm trying to finalize a
release.

I have a config map of my current code, but I can't just load the
current code.  I can make a change and save, which will make a
"branch" but to me, a branch is a tag across the entire tree, not
just one package.  And the branch is named, not "just load fred-236"
etc.

Can anyone lend me some knowledge please? :)

Steve

Re: Monicello Branches

Bert Freudenberg

On Jul 18, 2007, at 22:38 , Steven W Riggins wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am totally baffled by MC branches.  We have a large project
> consisting of over 20 packages and now there is a bunch of code
> that is checked in, but I cannot load because I'm trying to
> finalize a release.
>
> I have a config map of my current code, but I can't just load the
> current code.  I can make a change and save, which will make a
> "branch" but to me, a branch is a tag across the entire tree, not
> just one package.  And the branch is named, not "just load
> fred-236" etc.
>
> Can anyone lend me some knowledge please? :)

There are no branches. Everything is a branch. Huh?

You can do a config map of exactly the versions you want, and call
that a branch. There is no higher-level support than that. Or am I
misunderstanding?

- Bert -

Re: Monicello Branches

Steven W Riggins

On Jul 18, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

You can do a config map of exactly the versions you want, and call that a branch. There is no higher-level support than that. Or am I misunderstanding?

Oy.  That makes working on complex projects next to impossible.

Re: Monicello Branches

Steven W Riggins
You can do a config map of exactly the versions you want, and call that a branch. There is no higher-level support than that. Or am I misunderstanding?

I found this:

Create Branches

  • Go through the save a package steps above.
  • When the commit log dialoge window opens (the window where you enter your comments for this change) edit the version number to reflect the branch.
  • As an example if your package name and current version is this-package.23 and you are looking to create a branch here then edit the name to be this-package.23.1. Descendants of that version will be called 23.2, 23.3, etc, by default.
So that is slightly better, but it is still on a per package basis.  I imagine that I can use a config map + this to manage this.

Re: Monicello Branches

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 13:38 -0700, Steven W Riggins wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am totally baffled by MC branches.  We have a large project
> consisting of over 20 packages and now there is a bunch of code that
> is checked in, but I cannot load because I'm trying to finalize a
> release.
>
> I have a config map of my current code, but I can't just load the
> current code.  I can make a change and save, which will make a
> "branch" but to me, a branch is a tag across the entire tree, not
> just one package.  And the branch is named, not "just load fred-236"
> etc.
>
> Can anyone lend me some knowledge please? :)

I don't know if I understand your problem completely. I do
branching on the basename of the file. If the package is
called Package I create something like PackageBeta-1. Then
I clear the required packages of that version and set it to
the actual needed ones. So I have a different versions I
can develop with with different sets of needed other packages.
Switching between those "branches" is a simple matter of pressing
the load button with accepting versions questions from monticello.
The "branching" could also done for dependent packages.
Works quite good for me. I'm work on the main trunk and I switch
to some branch for bug fixes and the like.

regards,

Norbert