Monticell or Changesets?

Griff-2
Hi,

Coming from Subversion I'm trying to understand if I should be
learning Monticello, Changesets, or both, for version control.

Please advise.

Regards,

Grant

Re: Monticell or Changesets?

Frank Urbach
Hi Grant,
> Coming from Subversion I'm trying to understand if I should be
> learning Monticello, Changesets, or both, for version control.

If you read the archive of the squeak-dev mailing-list you find some posts about monticello and some difficulties. I think this is not a problem in the time of first steps in squeak. For my first application with squeak I use Monticello and it is very simple in use and provide all I want.

Cheers,
 Frank

Re: Monticell or Changesets?

stephane ducasse
Monticello!
We manage everything (even if we got some problems with managing
squeak itself)
I think that for system build with monticello (ie not monolithic such
as Squeak) you will get no problem.

Have a look inside there is a short presentation
        http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/Teaching/CoursAnnecy/0506-M1-OOP/
OOPAvance.pdf
        you can also watch my videos at http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
Videos/

Stef

On 1 janv. 07, at 19:57, Grant Rettke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Coming from Subversion I'm trying to understand if I should be
> learning Monticello, Changesets, or both, for version control.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Regards,
>
> Grant

Re: Monticell or Changesets?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"Grant Rettke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Coming from Subversion I'm trying to understand if I should be
> learning Monticello, Changesets, or both, for version control.

Monticello is the "equivalent" of Subversion (but is nicer to work with
IMHO) so you should definitely use Monticello for team/project source
code management. It is very simple to learn and use.

ChangeSets is an older (but trusty) mechanism that more resembles
patch-files in Unix land. We use them for bug fixes etc - and most of us
(we who maintain public packages) accept changesets as small
enhancements/fixes if sent by email. Some prefer Monticello snapshots
though - and definitely if it is more than trivial small changes.

ChangeSets are not easy to use for project source code management. They
can also easily trip you up - especially when doing class renames etc.

They are useful as a "changelog" ijn the image though - I routinely use
them at the same time as I use Monticello - just to be able to see what
I have touched.

regards, Göran