Monticello Extension

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi,

I extended classes definitions and wanted to have these extensions
taken into account into monticello. So, I extended MCClassDefinition
in my package. Things work fine until I switched to a fresh image and
wanted to install my package. I found out that there is a
bootstrapping problem, I need my MC extension installed before
actually loading my package. Putting the extension into a required
package doesn't help. My solution is to use an "installer", i.e. a
class that loads my package.
However, I have some questions:

-I guess other people face this problem. I'm sure that Traits have
this problem. You can't install the traits package in an image that
doesn't already have MCTraitDefinition... Any other examples?

-What are the other available solutions ? I guess, there should be
some tool similar to what I called "installer".

-Is this issue is or will be addressed in Monticello 2?

-Is this problem is really specific to Monticello and Squeak? Anybody
knows about similar issue in other Smalltalk dialects or even other
languages?

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: a Free Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: Monticello Extension

Andreas.Raab
You need to put the extra information into separate definitions -
changing MCClassDefinition itself is going to get you into horrible
trouble. Once you have a custom MCDefinition, you can use a subclass of
MCDoItParser to recognize and parse it. As an example, check out the
TweakMC package from http://source.impara.de/mc.html which implements
Tweak field support for MC.

Cheers,
   - Andreas