Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi all,

Does anyone have a fix for MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

I’m trying to use Monticello configurations and I get a subClassResponsiblity error when trying to read a mcm file.

Also can anyone give me an idea of the stability of MC2?  Should I skip this error and move to MC2?

Thanks!

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Colin Putney

On May 31, 2006, at 8:28 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

Also can anyone give me an idea of the stability of MC2?  Should I skip this error and move to MC2?

Hi Ron,

I don't know much about Monticello Configurations, but I can tell you that MC2 isn't ready for production use yet. The current release is just a preview.

Colin

Re: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Lukas Renggli
> I don't know much about Monticello Configurations, but I can tell you that
> MC2 isn't ready for production use yet. The current release is just a
> preview.

I played a bit with MC2 yesterday, just to get my head onto something
else. I quickly hacked together some things I was always missing (e.g
versioning external files) in MC1 to see how the new model works. It
is just great! I also made it work on 3.9 (without traits for the
moment), mostly related to changed code in CodeEditor.

Colin, from reading your blog-posts (eagerly awaiting more) and the
implementation I assume that one of the goals of MC2 is to provide a
cross platform source-management system? I think this is really needed
and would help a lot of projects. How do you handle concepts that do
not exist in all Smalltalk implementations, such as Namespaces,
Packages, etc? Can we discuss (maybe by private mail) about a
client/server protocol to be used for the next version of SqueakSource
(or better SmalltalkSource)?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 01.06.2006 um 02:28 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:

> Hi all,
>

> Does anyone have a fix for MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo
>
>  I’m trying to use Monticello configurations and I get a
> subClassResponsiblity error when trying to read a mcm file.

This was fixed in MonticelloConfigurations-bf.34.mcz sometime back in
November last year.

It is available from

        http://source.impara.de/mc.html

Also, the latest version of Monticello there fixes a problem with
lost methods when loading multiple packages at once (like when using
dependencies, or configurations).

- Bert -

> Am 01.06.2006 um 02:28 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:
>
> > Does anyone have a fix for MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo
> >
> >  I'm trying to use Monticello configurations and I get a
> > subClassResponsiblity error when trying to read a mcm file.
>
> This was fixed in MonticelloConfigurations-bf.34.mcz sometime back in
> November last year.
>
> It is available from
>
> http://source.impara.de/mc.html
>
> Also, the latest version of Monticello there fixes a problem with
> lost methods when loading multiple packages at once (like when using
> dependencies, or configurations).

Thanks Bert,

I tried loading the latest MC and then the configurations and got an error.
When you load the latest MC it appears that the method PackageInfo>>methods
is removed.  Loading MonticelloConfigurations fails on snapshot.  I tried it
backwards loading the configurations first and that worked.

Shouldn't this be harvested for 3.9?

Ron

Am 01.06.2006 um 15:23 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:

> [...]

That's odd. I use the PackageInfo-Base package from that repository
and it has the #methods method. Who would remove it, and why?

> backwards loading the configurations first and that worked.
>
> Shouldn't this be harvested for 3.9?

Yes, it should. I'm working in 3.8, though, so I haven't noticed any
misbehavior.

- Bert -

> Am 01.06.2006 um 15:23 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:

It appears that the changes to PackageInfo-Base.  I loaded that and it put
back methods.  But there is still a problem.

With
Monticello-bf.279
MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39
PackageInfo-Base-bf.22

Loaded into 3.9b-7032 the method:

PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with:   called from PackageInfo>>doIt:

is missing.

- Ron

RE: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Ron Teitelbaum
> From: Ron Teitelbaum
>

> It appears that the changes to PackageInfo-Base.  I loaded that and it put
> back methods.  But there is still a problem.
>
> With
> Monticello-bf.279
> MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39
> PackageInfo-Base-bf.22
>
> Loaded into 3.9b-7032 the method:
>
> PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with:   called from PackageInfo>>doIt:
>
> is missing.

I should have said:  FilePackage>>classDefinition:with:   called from
FilePackage>>doIt:

is missing.

Ron

Am 01.06.2006 um 17:23 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:

>> From: Ron Teitelbaum
>>

>> It appears that the changes to PackageInfo-Base.  I loaded that
>> and it put
>> back methods.  But there is still a problem.
>>
>> With
>> Monticello-bf.279
>> MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39
>> PackageInfo-Base-bf.22
>>
>> Loaded into 3.9b-7032 the method:
>>
>> PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with:   called from PackageInfo>>doIt:
>>
>> is missing.
>>

> I should have said:  FilePackage>>classDefinition:with:   called from
> FilePackage>>doIt:

I first couldn't make sense of you were meanin, because in 3.8, these
are just regular FilePackage methods.

But I just had a look at 3.9. It appears someone *moved* them into
Monticello which is a Bad Idea. AFAICT there's nothing MC specific in
there. If anything, they should have been an override, but I wonder
why they are in the MC package at all. Too bad there is no method
history in the 3.9 images ...

- Bert -

RE: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Ron Teitelbaum
> From: Ron Teitelbaum

> > From: Ron Teitelbaum
> >

> > It appears that the changes to PackageInfo-Base.  I loaded that and it
> put
> > back methods.  But there is still a problem.
> >
> > With
> > Monticello-bf.279
> > MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39
> > PackageInfo-Base-bf.22
> >
> > Loaded into 3.9b-7032 the method:
> >
> > PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with:   called from PackageInfo>>doIt:
> >
> > is missing.
> >

> I should have said:  FilePackage>>classDefinition:with:   called from
> FilePackage>>doIt:
>
> is missing.

It appears to have been fixed on the 39a repository

Name: Monticello-al.284
Author: al
Time: 3 December 2005, 1:25:46 pm
UUID: 195e315e-e9e7-4772-b0f9-ec277a109fb7
Ancestors: Monticello-al.283

- fix

I merged your changes into the 39a changes and came up with

Name: MonticelloConfigurations-RJT.40
Author: RJT
Time: 1 June 2006, 11:57:57 am
UUID: 642b9018-37c0-9c4b-ab76-98951bd59937
Ancestors: MonticelloConfigurations-stephaneducasse.38,
MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39

Merged in Berts changes up to version MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39

When I use:

Monticello-al.296
MonticelloConfigurations-RJT.40
PackageInfo-stephaneducasse.5

It all seems to work.

Should I put this in mantis, would you like it released on the impara
repository?  Should I release it on the 39a repository, should I release it
in the foundation in box? Who is al?

By the way the configurations are exactly what I thought was missing, I'm
very happy that it's there!  Thanks for your work on this!

Ron Teitelbaum

MonticelloConfigurations-RJT.40.mcz (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

stéphane ducasse-2

>> I should have said:  FilePackage>>classDefinition:with:   called from
>> FilePackage>>doIt:
>
> I first couldn't make sense of you were meanin, because in 3.8,
> these are just regular FilePackage methods.
>
> But I just had a look at 3.9. It appears someone *moved* them into
> Monticello which is a Bad Idea. AFAICT there's nothing MC specific
> in there. If anything, they should have been an override, but I
> wonder why they are in the MC package at all. Too bad there is no
> method history in the 3.9 images ...

Yes but on the complain list I have more :)
So how do we fix that. I removed them from MC?

Re: Monticello - MCMcmReader>>loadVersionInfo

Adrian Lienhard

On Jun 1, 2006, at 17:45 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 01.06.2006 um 17:23 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum:
>
>>> From: Ron Teitelbaum
>>>

>>> It appears that the changes to PackageInfo-Base.  I loaded that
>>> and it put
>>> back methods.  But there is still a problem.
>>>
>>> With
>>> Monticello-bf.279
>>> MonticelloConfigurations-bf.39
>>> PackageInfo-Base-bf.22
>>>
>>> Loaded into 3.9b-7032 the method:
>>>
>>> PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with:   called from PackageInfo>>doIt:
>>>
>>> is missing.
>>>

>> I should have said:  FilePackage>>classDefinition:with:   called from
>> FilePackage>>doIt:
>
> I first couldn't make sense of you were meanin, because in 3.8,
> these are just regular FilePackage methods.
>
> But I just had a look at 3.9. It appears someone *moved* them into
> Monticello which is a Bad Idea. AFAICT there's nothing MC specific
> in there. If anything, they should have been an override, but I
> wonder why they are in the MC package at all. Too bad there is no
> method history in the 3.9 images ...

I moved those methods to the MC package while enhancing MC to support
traits (because this made it more convenient  to work with changes in
many different packages).
A couple of months ago I've moved those methods back to where they
belong, however, those changes do not seem to be integrated in 3.9
yet. That's why those methods are just removed when you load another
MC package.

PackageInfo>>classDefinition:with: on the other hand is still in MC.
I'll fix that...

Adrian