Monticello authentication methods?

12

Re: [Io] RE: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

tblanchard
Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.  Whoever can get to the work
and finish it wins.

I have actually started integrating the SWHttpClient, implementing
all existing web stuff on top of it, but I have a ways to go and am
short on time now.  I could probably get it done about the first of
the year.

I've decided I like SWHttpClient because, while it has LOT of
classes, it is extremely well factored, does parallel fetching, and
has proxy/auth/cookie support.

On Oct 4, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Ken Causey wrote:

> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/HTTPClient
>
> I'll let Todd comment on the status since if anyone is looking into
> this
> at the current time, it is him.  His original comment that this
> package
> was the default choice was a mistake since in fact we (the I/O
> team) had
> never gotten so far as to make any such decision.  At the current
> time I
> would say that anyone that cares to take the time to put together a
> solid test suite for any of the available choices (assuming they don't
> already have one) and do the work to at least enable the ability to
> plug
> it in to the rest of the Squeak HTTP-using architecture will warrant a
> high degree of attention and support from the I/O team.
>
> Ken
>
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 18:32 +0000, J J wrote:
>> So does anyone know the status of this?  What is Steve Waring's http
>> package?  Is it a true replacement for the HTTP system?  Is it all
>> pure
>> squeak?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JJ
>>
>>> From: Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>
>>> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>>> list<[hidden email]>
>>> CC: Ken Causey <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)
>>> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:23:29 -0700
>>>
>>> I was under the impression we were going to deprecate that stuff
>>> in  favor
>>> of the  Steve Waring's http client package.
>>>
>>> Right Ken?
>>>
>>> -Todd Blanchard

Re: [Io] RE: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

J J-6
Is it missing anything that the current implimentation has?  Philippe, what
do you think of this?  Does it fix all the things you see wrong with the
current implimentation?

And if you are already using it, then what is left to do on it?  Just get a
more comprehensive test suite?

>From: Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]>
>To: Ken Causey <[hidden email]>
>CC: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
><[hidden email]>,        J J
><[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Io] RE: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication
>methods?)
>Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:58:51 -0700
>
>Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.  Whoever can get to the work  and
>finish it wins.
>
>I have actually started integrating the SWHttpClient, implementing  all
>existing web stuff on top of it, but I have a ways to go and am  short on
>time now.  I could probably get it done about the first of  the year.
>
>I've decided I like SWHttpClient because, while it has LOT of  classes, it
>is extremely well factored, does parallel fetching, and  has
>proxy/auth/cookie support.
>
>On Oct 4, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Ken Causey wrote:
>
>>http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/HTTPClient
>>
>>I'll let Todd comment on the status since if anyone is looking into  this
>>at the current time, it is him.  His original comment that this  package
>>was the default choice was a mistake since in fact we (the I/O  team) had
>>never gotten so far as to make any such decision.  At the current  time I
>>would say that anyone that cares to take the time to put together a
>>solid test suite for any of the available choices (assuming they don't
>>already have one) and do the work to at least enable the ability to  plug
>>it in to the rest of the Squeak HTTP-using architecture will warrant a
>>high degree of attention and support from the I/O team.
>>
>>Ken
>>
>>On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 18:32 +0000, J J wrote:
>>>So does anyone know the status of this?  What is Steve Waring's http
>>>package?  Is it a true replacement for the HTTP system?  Is it all  pure
>>>squeak?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>JJ

Re: [Io] RE: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

stephane ducasse-2
hi todd
what SW stands for? Steve Warring ?

> Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.  Whoever can get to the work
> and finish it wins.
>
> I have actually started integrating the SWHttpClient, implementing
> all existing web stuff on top of it, but I have a ways to go and am
> short on time now.  I could probably get it done about the first of
> the year.
>
> I've decided I like SWHttpClient because, while it has LOT of
> classes, it is extremely well factored, does parallel fetching, and
> has proxy/auth/cookie support.

Lot of classes is not a desease. :)
if this is not too much classes

Re: [Io] RE: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

tblanchard
I think it it Steve Waring, yes.  The categories start with SW but
the classes all begin with Spt.

I don't think it is too many classes - however, it lacks a nice
facade and end user api.  The classes model all of the 'things' in
the Http protocol, but there is no really easy to use end user api.
This could be fixed and I'd like to see a virtual web browser built
on top of it which also handles http-meta refreshes and caching.

Meanwhile, I started implementing the existing api on top of it.  Its
not yet usable, its just something I started and then got distracted
from by income generating activities.

-Todd

On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:10 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> hi todd
> what SW stands for? Steve Warring ?
>
>> Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.  Whoever can get to the work
>> and finish it wins.
>>
>> I have actually started integrating the SWHttpClient, implementing
>> all existing web stuff on top of it, but I have a ways to go and
>> am short on time now.  I could probably get it done about the
>> first of the year.
>>
>> I've decided I like SWHttpClient because, while it has LOT of
>> classes, it is extremely well factored, does parallel fetching,
>> and has proxy/auth/cookie support.
>
> Lot of classes is not a desease. :)
> if this is not too much classes
>
> Stef

Re: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

Brent Vukmer
Several years ago Doug Way ran ConflictChecker on the HTTPClient and
found a number of "house-keeping" issues that needed to be addressed
(and still haven't been).   For one, the HTTPClient package references
a number of classes not defined in the package.

As Karl found out, I haven't done any work maintaining it in quite a
long time.  Does anyone want to take ownership of this package?