Monticello version control for text files?

Monticello version control for text files?

Ken G. Brown
Latest trunk, Squeak4.2-10548-alpha.image

I would like to save my working Workspace contents with version control for later migrating to newer images.

With 3.10.2 I used to be able to save the contents of all my Workspaces into text files in a subdirectory of the directory the image resides in, then use Monticello to pick them up and save them to the desired repository with version control.

How would I do that with Monticello now?
Can you use Monticello to save version controlled text files from a local directory, into a repository?

Ken G. Brown

Re: Monticello version control for text files?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> Latest trunk, Squeak4.2-10548-alpha.image
>
> I would like to save my working Workspace contents with version control for later migrating to newer images.
>
> With 3.10.2 I used to be able to save the contents of all my Workspaces into text files in a subdirectory of the directory the image resides in, then use Monticello to pick them up and save them to the desired repository with version control.

I've never heard of such feature. Can you describe the steps to do this in
Squeak 3.10.2?

Levente

> How would I do that with Monticello now?
> Can you use Monticello to save version controlled text files from a local directory, into a repository?
>
> Ken G. Brown

Re: Monticello version control for text files?

Ken G. Brown
Trunk started with an ancient version of Monticello and I don't think anyone ever brought it up to date.

Here are some comments related to files support in Monticello.

<http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2008-December/000963.html>

Ken

At 12:52 AM +0100 12/4/10, Levente Uzonyi apparently wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>>Latest trunk, Squeak4.2-10548-alpha.image
>>
>>I would like to save my working Workspace contents with version control for later migrating to newer images.
>>
>>With 3.10.2 I used to be able to save the contents of all my Workspaces into text files in a subdirectory of the directory the image resides in, then use Monticello to pick them up and save them to the desired repository with version control.
>
>I've never heard of such feature. Can you describe the steps to do this in Squeak 3.10.2?
>

>Levente
>

>>How would I do that with Monticello now?
>>Can you use Monticello to save version controlled text files from a local directory, into a repository?
>>
>>Ken G. Brown

Re: Monticello version control for text files?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> Trunk started with an ancient version of Monticello and I don't think anyone ever brought it up to date.
>
> Here are some comments related to files support in Monticello.
>
> <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/packages/2008-December/000963.html>

Ah, it's part of MC 1.5/1.6. Sadly that's not part of Squeak yet. Someone
has to merge the MC in the Trunk and 1.5/1.6 to get that feature. We can't
simply replace the current MC, because it has some cruicial changes that
are necessary for the Trunk developement, like well-defined load order,
mcm and mcd support and some performance fixes. Also MC 1.5/1.6 was
written for a slightly different base system, so there may be other
issues as well.

Levente