"More Direct Morphic": The Movie

KenDickey
For those of you in different time zones who have an interest..

The "More Direct Morphic" talk starts a bit after 18 minutes in:

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWuUpXzQt8

Enjoy,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

Herbert König
Thanks Ken,

thank you for sharing.

That's a lot like I'm working. I am a bit too impatient for the loading
times (assuming you presented on a 'normal' computer and me often using
a Pi down to A+) but I still can save images so I think that would be
ok. What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 15.05.2021 um 21:48 schrieb [hidden email]:
> For those of you in different time zones who have an interest..
>
> The "More Direct Morphic" talk starts a bit after 18 minutes in:
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWuUpXzQt8
>
> Enjoy,
> -KenD

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

timrowledge

> On 2021-05-16, at 5:38 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?

I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.

tim
Engineers work to a couple of decimal places; Physicists work to an order of magnitude; Astrophysicists work to an order of magnitude in the exponent

On 2021-05-16, at 5:38 AM, Herbert König [hidden email] wrote:

What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?
I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.
Hi Tim,

not sure about popularity and as you see I'm happy to use older versions. And I do little coding in Squeak nowadays. It's still a great tool for thought though.

Actually the below is for discussing some electronics with a customer. He (non technical person) can use it because each project has a button 'Back to overview'. I have more complex stuff. :-) These are quickly built and I hoped that 'More Direct Morpic' even might make it quicker. (It would with projects and flaps to move stuff between projects.)

Any alternatives in Squeak I am missing?

Cheers,

Herbert

tim
Engineers work to a couple of decimal places; Physicists work to an order of magnitude; Astrophysicists work to an order of magnitude in the exponent

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

Herbert König
And your signature generator had the right choice again :-))

Herbert

Am 16.05.2021 um 20:13 schrieb tim Rowledge:

>> On 2021-05-16, at 5:38 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?
> I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.
>

> tim
> Engineers work to a couple of decimal places; Physicists work to an order of magnitude; Astrophysicists work to an order of magnitude in the exponent

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

timrowledge

> On 2021-05-16, at 11:57 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually the below is for discussing some electronics with a customer. He (non technical person) can use it because each project has a button 'Back to overview'. I have more complex stuff. :-) These are quickly built and I hoped that 'More Direct Morpic' even might make it quicker. (It would with projects and flaps to move stuff between projects.)
>
> Any alternatives in Squeak I am missing?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert
> <bidfmhdkapdbjffg.png>

Interesting use of Projects. You linked them up visually with Connectors, right?

> And your signature generator had the right choice again :-))

I sometimes worry about whether it has become sentient. And what does that mean when I reboot the Mac? See also the season 2 first episode of 'Love Death and Robots'

tim
Strange OpCodes: RLBM: Ruin Logic Board Multiple

Flaps aren't dead! They feel happy! (was Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie)

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
I use flaps! Specifically, in my experimentation with
squeak-on-a-cellphone, I put the on screen keyboard in a flap, and open
the flap automatically whenever keyboard focus switches to something
non-nil:

        newKeyboardFocus: aMorphOrNil
          aMorphOrNil
            ifNil: [OnScreenKeyboardMorph hideFlap]
            ifNotNil: [(OnScreenKeyboardMorph future: 200) raiseFlap].
          ^ super newKeyboardFocus: aMorphOrNil.

It works surprisingly well for this. Being able to adjust the height of
the keyboard by moving the flap, etc.

Cheers,
   Tony

On 5/16/21 8:13 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 2021-05-16, at 5:38 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?
>
> I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.
>

> tim
> Engineers work to a couple of decimal places; Physicists work to an order of magnitude; Astrophysicists work to an order of magnitude in the exponent

Re: Flaps aren't dead! They feel happy! (was Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie)

marcel.taeumel
I like flaps. :-) But I don't use them.

Best,
Marcel

Am 17.05.2021 09:15:42 schrieb Tony Garnock-Jones <[hidden email]>:

I use flaps! Specifically, in my experimentation with
squeak-on-a-cellphone, I put the on screen keyboard in a flap, and open
the flap automatically whenever keyboard focus switches to something
non-nil:

newKeyboardFocus: aMorphOrNil
aMorphOrNil
ifNil: [OnScreenKeyboardMorph hideFlap]
ifNotNil: [(OnScreenKeyboardMorph future: 200) raiseFlap].
^ super newKeyboardFocus: aMorphOrNil.

It works surprisingly well for this. Being able to adjust the height of
the keyboard by moving the flap, etc.

Cheers,
Tony

On 5/16/21 8:13 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 2021-05-16, at 5:38 AM, Herbert König wrote:
>>
>> What about Projects and Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?
>
> I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.
>

> tim
> Engineers work to a couple of decimal places; Physicists work to an order of magnitude; Astrophysicists work to an order of magnitude in the exponent

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

Herbert König

> Interesting use of Projects. You linked them up visually with Connectors, right?

nope, just Arrows from the Object tool. Usually with visible handles.
Always as simple as possible.

I know you are doing beautiful things. For me it's about brainstorming.
Costs, UI (physical buttons and sliders for the electronics, mouse miles
for GUIs  Implement elsewhere), sometimes keep together stuff I learned.

Cheers,

Herbert

>> And your signature generator had the right choice again :-))
> I sometimes worry about whether it has become sentient. And what does that mean when I reboot the Mac? See also the season 2 first episode of 'Love Death and Robots'
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: RLBM: Ruin Logic Board Multiple

Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie

Stéphane Rollandin
>> What about Projects and  Flaps, can they be added to Cuis?
>
> I'm actually surprised to see that someone uses these any more; is this still a popular thing? I'd be very happy to see them go away in most respects. I suppose Projects could be argued to have some utility for the 'rescue project' but I don't think I've seen anyone use Flaps in decades.

I do use both.

Re: Flaps aren't dead! They feel happy! (was Re: "More Direct Morphic": The Movie)

Jakob Reschke
I also use flaps to move windows between projects (in particular to
parent projects), and to stash away windows related to a topic that I
will continue later, to declutter my screen. Most of the time I don't
know in advance that I will want a separate project for all those
windows when I start digging into something. Otherwise I use projects
as the multiple desktops substitute, or as the task-focused interface
as Eclipse Mylyn would call it...

But I usually do not use the contents of the flaps that come preinstalled.