More feel observations

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I did some more "real" programming today (working on a port of my
home-grown file backup system), and am starting to find that one of my
larger complaints (which I consider to be a sign of progress) is the
apparent lack of support for virtual keys - the home and end in
particular - in the unix VM.  My searching so far has not turned up
anything specifically useful, so I will probably submit a question to
Squeak-dev soon.

Vistary, at least on my hardware, is slow enough that I can easily type
faster than it can keep up.  Soft squeak is much harder to outrun on the
same hardware.  Note that I still cannot fully clobber it due to the
virtual key hassles.  Part of my input speed comes from
home/tab/past/space/etc/end, sometimes with shift depressed to make
selections. Some of this stuff is so engrained I don't even realize I do
it until it doesn't work.

One thing that is in our general area is mouse interaction.  It will be
difficult to catch this in the act, but there is pretty clearly
something to it.  Have some code in plain sight; now try to drag-select
it, quickly.  I get unpredictable results; sometimes it selects what I
want, usually it does not.  When I have had similar problems in other
systems, it suggests that the code is picking up current mouse
coordinates when it should be using event coordinates.

Re #mouseClickForKeyboardFocus, it appears to be selectively necessary.
AFAICT, with other changes you have made, it is somewhat redundant.  The
message name browser is horribly broken without it.  A few times, I have
found that when adding methods, I get into a situation where the input
focus is undefined, or not where I want it anyway, making it necessary
to click in the code pane of the system browser.  The weird thing is
that in that situation, the cursor needs to be in the code pane for it
to get focus.  I have #mouseClickForKeyboardFocus set to true.

Sorry for the incomplete observations and guesswork, but it is hopefully
better to write down what I can remember.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

RE: More feel observations

Gary Chambers-4
Thanks for feedback, I'll make some comments...

Yes, virtual keys... my main gripe is lack of support for function keys.
As for home/end what's the problem with those? Or do you mean just on the
numeric keypad? (only just noticed now you mention it... ok in Windows
though :-) ).

> Vistary, at least on my hardware, is slow enough that I can easily type
> faster than it can keep up.  Soft squeak is much harder to outrun on the
> same hardware.  Note that I still cannot fully clobber it due to the
> virtual key hassles.  Part of my input speed comes from
> home/tab/past/space/etc/end, sometimes with shift depressed to make
> selections. Some of this stuff is so engrained I don't even realize I do
> it until it doesn't work.

Been a while since I noticed any keyboard lag from Squeak...
SoftSqueak is certainly the most responsive theme, more than StandardSqueak.
Vistary, due to translucency, is only expected to work well on modern
hardware (is fine on my 1.73 GHz Centrino laptop). What's your hardware?

> One thing that is in our general area is mouse interaction.  It will be
> difficult to catch this in the act, but there is pretty clearly
> something to it.  Have some code in plain sight; now try to drag-select
> it, quickly.  I get unpredictable results; sometimes it selects what I
> want, usually it does not.  When I have had similar problems in other
> systems, it suggests that the code is picking up current mouse
> coordinates when it should be using event coordinates.

Not noticed any problems like this... of course, a slower system might
highlight such issues.

> Re #mouseClickForKeyboardFocus, it appears to be selectively necessary.
> AFAICT, with other changes you have made, it is somewhat redundant.  The
> message name browser is horribly broken without it.  A few times, I have
> found that when adding methods, I get into a situation where the input
> focus is undefined, or not where I want it anyway, making it necessary
> to click in the code pane of the system browser.  The weird thing is
> that in that situation, the cursor needs to be in the code pane for it
> to get focus.  I have #mouseClickForKeyboardFocus set to true.

Best to set #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus to false when
#mouseClickForKeyboardFocus is enabled (see
PluggableTextMorph>>mouseLeave:). I'll probably rework that method since it
is now the only sender of #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus (PluggableListMorph
used to release the keyboard focus regardless!). Or, possibly, make changes
to properly honour the #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus pref in the usual morphs
(lists, text etc.).

> Sorry for the incomplete observations and guesswork, but it is hopefully
> better to write down what I can remember.
>
> Bill

RE: More feel observations

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

My v-key complaints are mostly limited to the numeric keypad, but I
_think_ it is a little broader than that.  Indeed, the Windows VM does a
better job, even getting stuff like control-shift-arrow to work
properly, at least as far as I use them.  Just so I do not sound like a
walking shortcut table, some of the weird sequences get exercised in
proportion to the editing task.  I re-learn them in a hurry, when
appropriate.  Home and end are staples.

Vistary: I have been doing most of my Squeak hacking on a 1.8 GHz P4 w/
512MB, or so it claims.  It is an older machine, and is becoming my bit
bucket, which Gnome finds a little taxing.  A preference for
translucency might be nice.  The truth is, even when the hardware is up
to it, I find the translucency a little distracting, especially on
walkbacks.

> (PluggableListMorph used to release
> the keyboard focus regardless!).

Thanks for fixing that, and more.  I will take another look at the
preferences.  Maybe I have too much of a good thing in use??

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 12/5/2007 6:09:51 AM >>>
Thanks for feedback, I'll make some comments...

RE: More feel observations

Gary Chambers-4
I could do a "VistaryBasic" subclass, just like ms, lol!

RE: More feel observations

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

That would be great, though please leave out the activation, Windows
Genuine Annoyance(TM), black screen of death, slow copies, etc. ;)  It
certainly is not a high priority, but would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 12/5/2007 1:24:18 PM >>>
I could do a "VistaryBasic" subclass, just like ms, lol!

RE: More feel observations

Gary Chambers-4
I'll follow ms lead for not having a kill switch :-)

Though, if you see your Squeak full of HeadMorphs I may have lapsed!