Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Folks,

Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
accepted and published at
http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
..

Morphic 3 is described at
http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html

This paves the way for releasing all the code, as no one will be able
to patent it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:23:29PM -0300, J. Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
> accepted and published at
> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
> ..
>
> Morphic 3 is described at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>
> This paves the way for releasing all the code, as no one will be able
> to patent it.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing this. I encourage everyone to read the paper.
It is interesting and very readable dispite the technical nature of the subject.

Dave

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

Herbert König
Hey Juan,

great stuff!

I mean both this and your Audio related work.

Cheers

Herbert

Am 04.12.2013 03:23, schrieb J. Vuletich (mail lists):

> Hi Folks,
>
> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
> accepted and published at
> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics
> and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657 ..
>
> Morphic 3 is described at
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>
> This paves the way for releasing all the code, as no one will be able
> to patent it.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

timrowledge

On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Morphic 3 is described at http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html

Excellent stuff Juan. I wonder how well we could make it work on a Pi. There’s a quite nice gpu wrapped around the ARM...

tim
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

Chris Muller-3
Would would have thought one good thing (this paper) could happen
because of patents..

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:23:29PM -0300, J. Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
>> accepted and published at
>> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>> ..
>>
>> Morphic 3 is described at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>>
>> This paves the way for releasing all the code, as no one will be able
>> to patent it.
>
> Outstanding! Thanks for sharing this. I encourage everyone to read the paper.
> It is interesting and very readable dispite the technical nature of the subject.
>
> Dave

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

timrowledge

On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been accepted and published at http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657

… amusingly it cites a reference to a paper by an old colleague of mine, Satish Gupta - I had an experimental hardware graphics board built by Satish back in 1984 stuck in my (first in Europe!) PC-AT when I was an IBMer. 640x480 16bpp (I think) hardware anti-aliased graphics back in the days of Hercules monochrome boards.

tim
Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:11:39PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been accepted and published at http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>
> ? amusingly it cites a reference to a paper by an old colleague of mine, Satish Gupta - I had an experimental hardware graphics board built by Satish back in 1984 stuck in my (first in Europe!) PC-AT when I was an IBMer. 640x480 16bpp (I think) hardware anti-aliased graphics back in the days of Hercules monochrome boards.

Wow, Hercules graphics on a PC-AT. The first open source thing I ever
wrote was a graphics library for devices like that. It was for PC-AT unix,
which at the time had no graphics capability whatsoever. I think that I
had some sort of fancy third party graphics card that emulated Hercules,
CGA, and EGA graphics, and I also had an Epson dot matrix printer, which
accounts for the hardcopy device support.

Amazingly the code is still enshrined for the ages in comp.source.unix at
http://cd.textfiles.com/sourcecode/usenet/compsrcs/unix/volume18/gl_plot/

  Newsgroups: comp.sources.unix
  Subject: v18i059:  GL Graphics Library for AT-clone Unix, Part01/07
  Date: 24 Mar 89 17:53:27 GMT

  Submitted-by: umix!m-net!dtlewis!lewis
  Posting-number: Volume 18, Issue 59
  Archive-name: gl_plot/part01

  The "gl" collection of routines provides graphic device support for a
  number of video adapters and printers for PC/AT class computers running
  under Microport System V/AT, Xenix or MS-DOS.    The routines emulate
  the BSD plot(3) library, as well as provide new routines.  It runs
  under MSDOS/ System V/AT, SCO Xenix 286, and with Hercules, CGA, EGA,
  and Epson printer devices.

I am guessing that this probably does not get a lot of use nowadays ;-)

Dave

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Folks,

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

(below)
Quoting tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Morphic 3 is described at
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>
> Excellent stuff Juan. I wonder how well we could make it work on a
> Pi. There’s a quite nice gpu wrapped around the ARM...

I did some experiments with a C program I built from the Slang in the
M3 plugin. And compiled sample programs I found online, using Cairo
and AGG. This was done for a guy who at some point wanted to build an
engine for web games to compete with Flash. The program just kept
drawing the tiger svg sample, counting FPS. If I remember correctly,
AGG was about 5 time faster than Cairo and 2 times faster than M3.
This also means that my technique was about 2.5 times faster than
Cairo. All this using a C regular compiler on a Core 2 Duo. No GPU at
all.

So, I guess it could be "fast enough" for most uses. But it uses float
arithmetic all over the place, and I guess the code would need to be
adapted to use fixed point or whatever the GPU can provide. There's a
lot of fun to be had while doing that.

> tim
> An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

:)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Chris,

Quoting Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> Would would have thought one good thing (this paper) could happen
> because of patents..

Yes, defensive publications have a few great properties:
- They don't need the horrible slang used for writing patents
- They don't need to impress academic reviewers
- You don't really need to "prove" novelty or relevance
Then, it is just about the ideas, and describing them.

Defensive publications will encourage writing stuff that is objective,
precise and concise. Much nicer to read that patents, and easier to
read than journal papers.

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:23:29PM -0300, J. Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
>>> accepted and published at
>>> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and
>>> http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Morphic 3 is described at
>>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/Morphic3-201006.html
>>>
>>> This paves the way for releasing all the code, as no one will be able
>>> to patent it.
>>
>> Outstanding! Thanks for sharing this. I encourage everyone to read
>> the paper.
>> It is interesting and very readable dispite the technical nature of
>> the subject.
>>
>> Dave

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Tim,

Quoting tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
>> accepted and published at
>> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and
>> http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>
> … amusingly it cites a reference to a paper by an old colleague of
> mine, Satish Gupta -

Yes, it is the earliest description of prefiltering I found. A pioneer.

> I had an experimental hardware graphics board built by Satish back
> in 1984 stuck in my (first in Europe!) PC-AT when I was an IBMer.
> 640x480 16bpp (I think) hardware anti-aliased graphics back in the
> days of Hercules monochrome boards.

In 1984! That year I started programming. 256x192 1bpp on a CoCo. I
would have loved to see that beauty you had.

> tim
> Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi David,

This work you did fits that 32768x32768 space into whatever display
the user had? The first serious graphics stuff I did was around 1992,
to do exactly that.

I did a library for TurboC on MS-DOS that essentially implemented the
wonderful 'draw' command from MS Extended Basic, but on a bigger
space. I believe the size was 23040x16800 to have a reasonable aspect
ratio, and to scale to Hercules, CGA, EGA and VGA using only integer
arithmetic, and without artifacts.

Quoting "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:11:39PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> On 03-12-2013, at 6:23 PM, J. Vuletich (mail lists)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > Big news! The first defensive disclosure about Morphic 3 has been
>> accepted and published at
>> http://www.defensivepublications.org/publications/prefiltering-antialiasing-for-general-vector-graphics and
>> http://ip.com/IPCOM/000232657
>>
>> ? amusingly it cites a reference to a paper by an old colleague of
>> mine, Satish Gupta - I had an experimental hardware graphics board
>> built by Satish back in 1984 stuck in my (first in Europe!) PC-AT
>> when I was an IBMer. 640x480 16bpp (I think) hardware anti-aliased
>> graphics back in the days of Hercules monochrome boards.
>>

> Wow, Hercules graphics on a PC-AT. The first open source thing I ever
> wrote was a graphics library for devices like that. It was for PC-AT unix,
> which at the time had no graphics capability whatsoever. I think that I
> had some sort of fancy third party graphics card that emulated Hercules,
> CGA, and EGA graphics, and I also had an Epson dot matrix printer, which
> accounts for the hardcopy device support.
>
> Amazingly the code is still enshrined for the ages in comp.source.unix at
> http://cd.textfiles.com/sourcecode/usenet/compsrcs/unix/volume18/gl_plot/
>
>   Newsgroups: comp.sources.unix
>   Subject: v18i059:  GL Graphics Library for AT-clone Unix, Part01/07
>   Date: 24 Mar 89 17:53:27 GMT
>
>   Submitted-by: umix!m-net!dtlewis!lewis
>   Posting-number: Volume 18, Issue 59
>   Archive-name: gl_plot/part01
>

>   The "gl" collection of routines provides graphic device support for a
>   number of video adapters and printers for PC/AT class computers running
>   under Microport System V/AT, Xenix or MS-DOS.    The routines emulate
>   the BSD plot(3) library, as well as provide new routines.  It runs
>   under MSDOS/ System V/AT, SCO Xenix 286, and with Hercules, CGA, EGA,
>   and Epson printer devices.
>

> I am guessing that this probably does not get a lot of use nowadays ;-)
>
> Dave

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Morphic 3 defensive disclosure

David T. Lewis
> Hi David,
>
> This work you did fits that 32768x32768 space into whatever display
> the user had? The first serious graphics stuff I did was around 1992,
> to do exactly that.

Yes, that is how it worked. The address space was 32768 x 32768, where
(0,0) was the upper left corner of the screen or printed page. This was
mapped to pixel resolution of the display or dot matrix printer. I
provided makefiles for Microsoft C and Borland Turbo C as well as Xenix
and Microport PC-AT unix, so it worked on at least those platforms. Funny,
my makefile for MSC has a warning not to compile with the optimizer, which
apparently did not work. Some things never change ;-)

Dave