Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Stephane

On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. [1] We started to
> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
> to have see it coming to live.

I am interested in this. Where is the code?

BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
problem with that.....
:-;
[...]

Regards
--Hannes

[1] https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
I assume it is a Pillar-Exporter ...

On 8/25/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Stephane
>
> On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. [1] We started to
>> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
>> to have see it coming to live.
>
> I am interested in this. Where is the code?
>
> BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
> problem with that.....
> :-;
> [...]
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>

> [1]
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

Pillar_Exporters_Screenshot_2017-08-25.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Tudor Girba-2

As mentioned in an announcement about 10 days ago, we are building a Pillar editor with inline viewing abilities in Bloc. Here is how it looked like. Please note the embedded picture. We continued working on it since then and we will probably announce the next version this weekend:

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
Thanks, Doru for the update on a Pillar editor with support for the
new Bloc framework.
It looks fine and I am aware of this effort.

But as I wrote in spite of the Bloc efforts I am interested to see
what has been done in terms of a Morphic renderer for Pillar.

I imagine what has been done so far might be sufficient for my
purposes and I can use it right now and not only in Pharo.

--Hannes

On 8/25/17, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As mentioned in an announcement about 10 days ago, we are building a Pillar
> editor with inline viewing abilities in Bloc. Here is how it looked like.
> Please note the embedded picture. We continued working on it since then and
> we will probably announce the next version this weekend:
>

>> On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:04 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Stephane
>>
>> On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. [1] We started to
>>> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>>> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
>>> to have see it coming to live.
>>
>> I am interested in this. Where is the code?
>>
>> BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
>> problem with that.....
>> :-;
>> [...]
>>
>> Regards
>> --Hannes
>>

>> [1]
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
BTW I am looking for a **renderer** only. Not an editor at the moment.

On 8/25/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Doru for the update on a Pillar editor with support for the
> new Bloc framework.
> It looks fine and I am aware of this effort.
>
> But as I wrote in spite of the Bloc efforts I am interested to see
> what has been done in terms of a Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>
> I imagine what has been done so far might be sufficient for my
> purposes and I can use it right now and not only in Pharo.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 8/25/17, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As mentioned in an announcement about 10 days ago, we are building a
>> Pillar
>> editor with inline viewing abilities in Bloc. Here is how it looked like.
>> Please note the embedded picture. We continued working on it since then
>> and
>> we will probably announce the next version this weekend:
>>

>>> On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:04 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Stephane
>>>
>>> On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I am interested in this. Where is the code?
>>>
>>> BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
>>> problem with that.....
>>> :-;
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --Hannes
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hannes

in the repo
Pillar-Renderer-StephaneDucasse.7

It was a couple of hours hacking but it shows how to do it.

Stef

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:57 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW I am looking for a **renderer** only. Not an editor at the moment.
>
> On 8/25/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, Doru for the update on a Pillar editor with support for the
>> new Bloc framework.
>> It looks fine and I am aware of this effort.
>>
>> But as I wrote in spite of the Bloc efforts I am interested to see
>> what has been done in terms of a Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>>
>> I imagine what has been done so far might be sufficient for my
>> purposes and I can use it right now and not only in Pharo.
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 8/25/17, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As mentioned in an announcement about 10 days ago, we are building a
>>> Pillar
>>> editor with inline viewing abilities in Bloc. Here is how it looked like.
>>> Please note the embedded picture. We continued working on it since then
>>> and
>>> we will probably announce the next version this weekend:

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ideally we should add the pillar element to the associated morphic to
manage back link from the renderer to the pillar tree.
But this is to be done.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hannes
>
> in the repo
> Pillar-Renderer-StephaneDucasse.7
>
> It was a couple of hours hacking but it shows how to do it.
>
> Stef
>

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:57 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> BTW I am looking for a **renderer** only. Not an editor at the moment.
>>
>> On 8/25/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks, Doru for the update on a Pillar editor with support for the
>>> new Bloc framework.
>>> It looks fine and I am aware of this effort.
>>>
>>> But as I wrote in spite of the Bloc efforts I am interested to see
>>> what has been done in terms of a Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>>>
>>> I imagine what has been done so far might be sufficient for my
>>> purposes and I can use it right now and not only in Pharo.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
Stephane,

Thank you.
The rendering seems to be very useful as is.

The screen shot shows what you get if you execute

    PRMorphInterface new openWithSpec.

I will read the code in detail.

--Hannes

Pharo6_PillarRenderer_for_Morphic_Screenshot_2017-08-25.png (156K) Download Attachment

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

abergel
Gorgeous!

Alexandre

Sent from my iPad

> On 25-08-2017, at 10:48 a.m., H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Stephane,
>
> Thank you.
> The rendering seems to be very useful as is.
>
> The screen shot shows what you get if you execute
>
>    PRMorphInterface new openWithSpec.
>

> I will read the code in detail.
>
> --Hannes
> <Pharo6_PillarRenderer_for_Morphic_Screenshot_2017-08-25.png>

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Feel free to enhance it.
It was fun to hack the visitor and to flesh the renderer on the fly.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane,
>
> Thank you.
> The rendering seems to be very useful as is.
>
> The screen shot shows what you get if you execute
>
>     PRMorphInterface new openWithSpec.
>

> I will read the code in detail.
>
> --Hannes

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
The package contains two approaches to render a Pillar document object
to Morphic.

1.   PRVisitor subclass: #PRMorphWriter
2.   PRDocumentWriter subclass: #PRMorphWriter2

The class comment for PRDocumentWriter says

I'm the superclass of all classes supposed to output a pier document
to a text file. I have a canvas to which the subclasses can write to
using dedicated brushes. I have a configuration which specifies some
details about how to write text (e.g., end of line convention).

Class PRRenderer has examples for both approaches

PRRenderer example    "1"
PRRenderer example3   "2 -- using PRMorphWriter2"
"(example2 is not working)"

I assume to use

      PRDocumentWriter subclass: #PRMorphWriter2

is the way forward and PRMorphWriter can be removed.

--Hannes

On 8/25/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Feel free to enhance it.
> It was fun to hack the visitor and to flesh the renderer on the fly.
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stephane,
>>
>> Thank you.
>> The rendering seems to be very useful as is.
>>
>> The screen shot shows what you get if you execute
>>
>>     PRMorphInterface new openWithSpec.
>>

>> I will read the code in detail.
>>
>> --Hannes

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/25/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The package contains two approaches to render a Pillar document object
> to Morphic.
>
> 1.   PRVisitor subclass: #PRMorphWriter
> 2.   PRDocumentWriter subclass: #PRMorphWriter2

After removing PRMorphWriter we have what the screen shot shows.

PRMorphWriter2 using PRMorphCanvas does the job.

PRMorphInterface is a demo class and PRRenderingExamples contains some
demo Pillar source code.

Stephane, you wrote

"Ideally we should add the pillar element to the associated morphic to
manage back link from the renderer to the pillar tree.
But this is to be done."

I do not understand what you mean with this.

It sound like there
should there be a link from the morph used in rendering to the Pillar
document object model node?

The way how it is implemented at the moment is different.

An instance of the class Text is created.

        parseButton action: [
                document := PRPillarParser new parse: textInput text.
                morphWriter start: document.
                textResult text: morphWriter text ].

Then it seems that just a TextMorph is displayed

    writer text asMorph openInWindow.

And what is the reason for this?

--Hannes

Pillar_6_MorphicRendering_Classes_Screenshot_2017-08-25.png (147K) Download Attachment

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Peter Uhnak
> Please note the embedded picture.

Only now I've realized that it is an embedded view and not just an opened moose panel, looking forward to this!

Peter

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

CyrilFerlicot
Le 25/08/2017 à 11:04, H. Hirzel a écrit :

> Hello Stephane
>
> On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. [1] We started to
>> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
>> to have see it coming to live.
>
> I am interested in this. Where is the code?
>
> BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
> problem with that.....
> :-;
> [...]
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>

> [1] https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

Hi,

Back in 2015 there was Kasper Østerbye who did a Pillar-TextRenderer

There is a screen slide 21:
http://esug.org/data/ESUG2015/4%20thursday/1600-1630%20Pilar/Pillar.pdf

Here is the thread:
http://forum.world.st/Class-comments-rendered-in-Nautilus-through-Pillar-td4819726.html

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Just for information: Pillar already ships with a live editor with syntax highlighting that I built a couple of years ago.

And there are two inspector presentations available:
- If you inspect a class, you will get a Pillar comment presentation with syntax highlighting
- If you inspect a .pillar file, you will get a Pillar editor with syntax highlighting

Cheers,
Doru

> On Aug 26, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 25/08/2017 à 11:04, H. Hirzel a écrit :
>> Hello Stephane
>>
>> On 8/24/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. [1] We started to
>>> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>>> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
>>> to have see it coming to live.
>>
>> I am interested in this. Where is the code?
>>
>> BTW if other people want to do a Pillar renderer for Bloc I have no
>> problem with that.....
>> :-;
>> [...]
>>
>> Regards
>> --Hannes
>>

>> [1] https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>

> Hi,
>
> Back in 2015 there was Kasper Østerbye who did a Pillar-TextRenderer
>
> There is a screen slide 21:
> http://esug.org/data/ESUG2015/4%20thursday/1600-1630%20Pilar/Pillar.pdf
>
> Here is the thread:
> http://forum.world.st/Class-comments-rendered-in-Nautilus-through-Pillar-td4819726.html
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

On 8/26/17, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back in 2015 there was Kasper Østerbye who did a Pillar-TextRenderer
>
> There is a screen slide 21:
> http://esug.org/data/ESUG2015/4%20thursday/1600-1630%20Pilar/Pillar.pdf
>
> Here is the thread:
> http://forum.world.st/Class-comments-rendered-in-Nautilus-through-Pillar-td4819726.html
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot

Hello Cyril

Thank you for these two references with some info to the

    Pillar-TextRenderer

Kasper Østerbye did.  Do you have an idea where I could find the code.

I found nothing so far in

    http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pillar/main/

Regards
Hannes

Le 26/08/2017 à 10:31, H. Hirzel a écrit :

> Hello Cyril
>
> Thank you for these two references with some info to the
>
>     Pillar-TextRenderer
>
> Kasper Østerbye did.  Do you have an idea where I could find the code.
>
> I found nothing so far in
>
>     http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pillar/main/
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Hi,

They are on the Pillar repository.

There is this package:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-TextRenderer
And this one:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept

Note that it will not work on recent Pharo since it was a Proof of
concept done with PluggableTextMorph. Now the comment pane moved from
PluggableTextMorph to Rubric.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
Cyril,

Thank you for the info where I can find the proof of concept done by
Kasper Østerbye
to render Pillar code in Morphic.

I want to read the code and learn from it how to come up with an
enhanced version of what Stephane D. was refering to

    http://smalltakhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-Renderer/

Name: Pillar-Renderer-StephaneDucasse.7
Author: StephaneDucasse
Time: 7 May 2017, 7:00:52.414735 pm
UUID: a64b56cd-530b-0d00-a0f1-dba809b4cbdf

--Hannes

On 8/26/17, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 26/08/2017 à 10:31, H. Hirzel a écrit :
>>
>> Hello Cyril
>>
>> Thank you for these two references with some info to the
>>
>>     Pillar-TextRenderer
>>
>> Kasper Østerbye did.  Do you have an idea where I could find the code.
>>
>> I found nothing so far in
>>
>>     http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pillar/main/
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>

> Hi,
>
> They are on the Pillar repository.
>
> There is this package:
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-TextRenderer
> And this one:
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept
>
> Note that it will not work on recent Pharo since it was a Proof of
> concept done with PluggableTextMorph. Now the comment pane moved from
> PluggableTextMorph to Rubric.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Hannes Hirzel
The proper reference to the repository

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pillar/main'
        user: ''
        password: ''

On 8/26/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cyril,
>
> Thank you for the info where I can find the proof of concept done by
> Kasper Østerbye
> to render Pillar code in Morphic.
>
> I want to read the code and learn from it how to come up with an
> enhanced version of what Stephane D. was refering to
>
>     http://smalltakhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-Renderer/
>
> Name: Pillar-Renderer-StephaneDucasse.7
> Author: StephaneDucasse
> Time: 7 May 2017, 7:00:52.414735 pm
> UUID: a64b56cd-530b-0d00-a0f1-dba809b4cbdf
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 8/26/17, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 26/08/2017 à 10:31, H. Hirzel a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello Cyril
>>>
>>> Thank you for these two references with some info to the
>>>
>>>     Pillar-TextRenderer
>>>
>>> Kasper Østerbye did.  Do you have an idea where I could find the code.
>>>
>>> I found nothing so far in
>>>
>>>     http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pier/Pillar/main/
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> They are on the Pillar repository.
>>
>> There is this package:
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-TextRenderer
>> And this one:
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pier/Pillar/packages/Pillar-NautilusProofOfConcept
>>
>> Note that it will not work on recent Pharo since it was a Proof of
>> concept done with PluggableTextMorph. Now the comment pane moved from
>> PluggableTextMorph to Rubric.
>>
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Morphic renderer for Pillar?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hannes

"Ideally we should add the pillar element to the associated morphic to
manage back link from the renderer to the pillar tree.
But this is to be done." I meant that rendering is just one part of
the story, that in the future you will want to click on the morph and
- jump to the code
- edit in place
so in that case this is important to be able to have a pointer to the
Pillar model.

I remember I did not like the PRMorphWriter because it has a lot of
assumption of the output.
Now we did the two in one afternoon to show to maxim that we could do
it fast instead of explaining it.
So you can consider that this is was just a trial showing the way but
I would not be surprised that we should
throw away what we did.

I think that in each visitor action somehow we should a call (may be
via a super call)

aMorph setPillarElement: anElement

Stef