Mouse wheel

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I hope this is not a repeat, or worse yet reflective of my not having
installed a new enough release, but _almost_ as much as I think keyboard
focus should be managed very carefully and independent of the mouse
cursor location, I think the mouse wheel input should follow the mouse
cursor, even so far as scrolling panes that are not active, and not even
part of the active shell.  First, I just noticed Ubuntu, its graphical
terminal, and OpenOffice do this to good effect (as just one example);
second, if I am typing, mouse movement is probably made to avoid visual
distraction from the cursor, if I am turning the mouse wheel, it is
almost certainly a deliberate action associated with the cursor
location.  Fair?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: Mouse wheel

Gary Chambers-4
I've looked at that, would be nice! Unfortunately, in Squeak, the mouse wheel is simulated as keyboard events. It would require some hacking to pick these up and send to the mouse focus instead. If there is sufficient interest I'll take a stab at it.

Thanks. Gary.

Re: Mouse wheel

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

It is not terribly high on my priority list, but the more I work with
Squeak, the more I notice that the way other apps handle the wheel makes
a LOT of sense.  Given a choice, I would opt for solid keyboard focus
every time.

Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 01/21/08 6:27 PM >>>
I've looked at that, would be nice! Unfortunately, in Squeak, the mouse
wheel is simulated as keyboard events. It would require some hacking to
pick these up and send to the mouse focus instead. If there is
sufficient interest I'll take a stab at it.

Thanks. Gary.

RE: Mouse wheel

Gary Chambers-4
Load Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.284 from SqueakSource and enjoy!
Was tricky to figure out but done nicely, I think.
If the VMs get arround to generating mouse wheel events natively (rrather
than simulating with a keystroke) it is a small matter to support that
when/if that happens.

Will await feedback before updating the Universe.

Regards, Gary.

RE: Mouse wheel

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I will try it later today.  Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 01/28/08 11:42 AM >>>
Load Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.284 from SqueakSource and enjoy!
Was tricky to figure out but done nicely, I think.
If the VMs get arround to generating mouse wheel events natively
(rrather
than simulating with a keystroke) it is a small matter to support that
when/if that happens.

Will await feedback before updating the Universe.

Regards, Gary.

RE: Mouse wheel

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I saw 285 and loaded that and fiddled around slightly.  I made a point
of using the wheel to scroll panes in inactive windows interspersed with
typing in the active window, and that seems to work except when the
scrolling list is part of the active window.  With the other traffic, I
suspect that a change to regain keyboard selection in the lists is being
enabled on mouse over (if only in/under the active windows) vs. after
transfer of focus.  I see where you are going, but it essentially brings
back the "lists grab the focus" problem.

IMHO, if a user wants to simply point at a list and have it grab the
focus for keyboard navigation, they should use a policy that changes
focus on mouse-over.  As a click/tab to change focus type, I want the
focus to be independent of the mouse movement, and will click/tab to a
list that I want to navigate by keyboard.  Hopefully it will suffice to
limit the navigation to the list with the focus.  Reasonable?

As always, thanks for working on this!!!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 01/28/08 11:42 AM >>>
Load Pinesoft-Widgets-gvc.284 from SqueakSource and enjoy!
Was tricky to figure out but done nicely, I think.
If the VMs get arround to generating mouse wheel events natively
(rrather
than simulating with a keystroke) it is a small matter to support that
when/if that happens.

Will await feedback before updating the Universe.

Regards, Gary.

RE: Mouse wheel

Gary Chambers-4
Odd, I get the expected behaviour (with mouseClickForKeyboardFocus enabled
and mouseOverForKeyboardFocus disabled).

RE: Mouse wheel

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

Ok, the place to start is for me to double check my preferences.  More
to come.  Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 02/04/08 6:01 AM >>>
Odd, I get the expected behaviour (with mouseClickForKeyboardFocus
enabled
and mouseOverForKeyboardFocus disabled).

RE: Mouse wheel

Gary Chambers-4
Note that the default value for mouseClickForKeyboardFocus (in UITheme
class>>initialize)is false for "compatibility with old Squeak behaviour".
Perhaps it would be better set to true.