Move an object into another project

Jonathan Wright-2

Hello,

Is there a way to move an object from one project into another
project?  For instance when I create a text object in the main world
screen, I would like to be able to move it into a child object or the
other way around.

Thank you.

Re: Move an object into another project

Derek O'Connell-3
On 25/09/11 04:01, Jonathan Wright wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to move an object from one project into another
> project?  For instance when I create a text object in the main world
> screen, I would like to be able to move it into a child object or the
> other way around.
>
> Thank you.

Bring up the halo for the object you want to move to the child project
and click the halo button that creates a tile representing the object
(orange with rectangle, lower left). Drag the tile into the window
representing the child project. On dropping you should get a "got it"
message. Enter the child project, bring up the halo on the tile, hit the
red "menu" button and select "hand me this object".

Re: Move an object into another project

K K Subbu
On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 8:31:07 AM Jonathan Wright wrote:
> Is there a way to move an object from one project into another
> project?  For instance when I create a text object in the main world
> screen, I would like to be able to move it into a child object or the
> other way around.
Yes, by using flaps - these are global containers. For instance, the flap that
contains Paint tool, Rectangle, Ellipse etc is a flag. Just drag your text
object into this flap, switch to the target project and then pick and drop the
text into the opened project.

If you need specific help, please include the version of your Squeak/Etoys.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Move an object into another project

Gary Dunn-2

Interesting. I always use the Squeak flap for this, the one with the animated trash can. Never occurred to me I could use any flap.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project
http://openslate.org

On Sep 26, 2011 4:28 AM, "K. K. Subramaniam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 8:31:07 AM Jonathan Wright wrote:
> Is there a way to move an object from one ...

Yes, by using flaps - these are global containers. For instance, the flap that
contains Paint tool, Rectangle, Ellipse etc is a flag. Just drag your text
object into this flap, switch to the target project and then pick and drop the
text into the opened project.

If you need specific help, please include the version of your Squeak/Etoys.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Move an object into another project

Jonathan Wright-2
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:01:05 +0100
Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/09/11 04:01, Jonathan Wright wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way to move an object from one project into another
> > project?  For instance when I create a text object in the main world
> > screen, I would like to be able to move it into a child object or
> > the other way around.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Bring up the halo for the object you want to move to the child
> project and click the halo button that creates a tile representing
> the object (orange with rectangle, lower left). Drag the tile into
> the window representing the child project. On dropping you should get
> a "got it" message. Enter the child project, bring up the halo on the
> tile, hit the red "menu" button and select "hand me this object".

Cool. Thank you for your help.  That works great, however, if I want to
move the object into a parent object, I can't see the window
representing the parent project within the child project (that I know
of), and thus can't move the object.  Is there a way to represent/see
the window of the parent project inside the child project?

For the project I'm making I want to easily move morphs from one
project to another.  Maybe there should be an extra menu option to
'move to project...' under one of the halos for the main Squeak image?

I appreciate everyone's help.  You surely can't say the Squeak
community isn't a friendly and helpful bunch.  :-)

- Jonathan

Re: Move an object into another project

Jonathan Wright-2
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:38:50 -1000
Gary Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. I always use the Squeak flap for this, the one with the
> animated trash can. Never occurred to me I could use any flap.
>
> Gary Dunn
> Open Slate Project
> http://openslate.org
>
> On Sep 26, 2011 4:28 AM, "K. K. Subramaniam" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 8:31:07 AM Jonathan Wright wrote:
> > Is there a way to move an object from one ...
> Yes, by using flaps - these are global containers. For instance, the
> flap that
> contains Paint tool, Rectangle, Ellipse etc is a flag. Just drag your
> text object into this flap, switch to the target project and then
> pick and drop the
> text into the opened project.
>
> If you need specific help, please include the version of your
> Squeak/Etoys.
>
> HTH .. Subbu

> [hidden email]...

Subbu and Gary,

Cool. Thanks you.  If I move the object into the Squeak tab I then can
move it out of there from any project.  However, if I move the object
into the Tools tab, when I drag the object out it automatically makes a
copy of it instead.  This could be very helpful.

Thanks for all your help!

- Jonathan

Re: Move an object into another project

Bert Freudenberg
On 28.09.2011, at 05:24, Jonathan Wright wrote:

> Subbu and Gary,
>
> Cool. Thanks you.  If I move the object into the Squeak tab I then can
> move it out of there from any project.  However, if I move the object
> into the Tools tab, when I drag the object out it automatically makes a
> copy of it instead.  This could be very helpful.

You also could make your own flap (see the flaps menu). If you enable its "parts bin" behavior then it will hand you a copy, otherwise it just grabs the object itself.

Btw we call the contents drawer a "flap" and the small handle its "tab".

- Bert -

Re: Move an object into another project

Karl Ramberg
You can also make the project contain a ProjectViewMorph of your
destination project and than just send the player by dropping it in.
Karl