Multiple images in the same directory

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any problem with keeping different
images from different squeak versions (3.8 and 3.9 for example) in the
same directory. Is there any problem with sm/ or package-cache/ ?

Thanks

Re: Multiple images in the same directory

Chris Muller
No problem having multiple images in the same directory.

Whether there are issues with package-cache or sm depends on what
versions of those tools are loaded in each image.  For SqueakMap, for
example, you might get prompted to upgrade it, after which you'll want
to save that image so it doesn't have to do it again next time..

--- Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any problem with keeping different
> images from different squeak versions (3.8 and 3.9 for example) in
> the
> same directory. Is there any problem with sm/ or package-cache/ ?
>
> Thanks

Re: Multiple images in the same directory

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No problem having multiple images in the same directory.

Right. :)

> Whether there are issues with package-cache or sm depends on what
> versions of those tools are loaded in each image.  For SqueakMap, for
> example, you might get prompted to upgrade it, after which you'll want
> to save that image so it doesn't have to do it again next time..

package-cache is a Monticello cache. It will be shared by all images
AFAIK, no problem.

The sm dir has two things:

1. The map in the form of map.xxx.sgz - a gzipped ImageSegment. Only the
one with the highest number is used - all lower ones can be deleted and
in fact, you can delete all of them - the latest will just be downloaded
again. Note that this ImageSegment only contains the map - not
information about what packages you have installed.

2. The package cache (for SM, not Monticello).

The above two things are shared between all images and yes - if you have
images running an old version of SM you might bump into two situations:

- It complains when opening the SqueakMap package loader and starts
blabbering about what "modern" classes it should translate objects into
etc. Bail out and execute "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" to force it to upgrade
instead of trying to load an old ImageSegment.

- It says it wants to upgrade, let it do that. :) If you don't then you
can't update the map by downloading it from map.squeak.org - but
otherwise it still should work fine.

regards, Göran

PS. The information about what package releases that are installed in
the image is kept inside the image, not on disk. It is held in the
"SMSqueakMap default" instance in the instvar "registry".