classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Multiple objects running the same script

R.D. Latimer
Etoys-
  I have a 'turtle' with a reset button (clears screen, sets position to random xy) and a drawpattern script with random colors.

Can I create many copies of this turtle and run all the resets at once - re-positions all 'turtles' and clears the screen, and then run drawpattern all at once for all turtles?  Note that drawpattern needs to run only once, not constantly as with a timer.

Thanks,
Randy Latimer

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Multiple objects running the same script

Steve Thomas
So from what I can tell about what you are trying to do the best way may be to create "sibling copies" or your turtles.  This is done by either holding down the shift key when you click on the copy icon in the halo or from the menu in the halo there is an option to create siblings

That said there are a number of ways to reset things I can think of and hopefully this is not too much info:
  1. You can create a script that executes the resets for all objects you want to reset
  2. Use the scripting tile "tell all contents" (found in the scripting category for playfields) to execute all scripts named "reset" (or whatever name you choose). Note, this will only go "one level deep" in a playfield. This will work if all objects you want to reset are in the playfield (but will not work for any objects embedded in a playfield in that playfield)
  3. Use the scripting tile "tell all siblings" Siblings are really neat. When you change a script in one sibling all siblings get the same script changes. So in effect they share a common set of scripts and variables, but can have different values for each siblings copy of a variable and different script states as well.
  4. If you are using a Book, you can make a page (and the entire book "revertible. In the book's menu is an option "save this page for later revert" which allows you to set the page (or book) as "revertible"  Which will save the current state of the page.  Then from the Book's menu you can choose "revert this page" or "revert this book".  You can also use the menu item in a script, by getting the halo for that menu item (ie: "revert this page") and drag the "fire" tile into a script. 
Note: you can either create a button to reset the page (from a script editors menu, there is an option: "button to fire this script" or you can set a scripts status to "opening" which can be used to reset a page or a book when that page or book is opened.

Stephen

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM, R.D. Latimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Etoys-
  I have a 'turtle' with a reset button (clears screen, sets position to random xy) and a drawpattern script with random colors.

Can I create many copies of this turtle and run all the resets at once - re-positions all 'turtles' and clears the screen, and then run drawpattern all at once for all turtles?  Note that drawpattern needs to run only once, not constantly as with a timer.

Thanks,
Randy Latimer

Reply | Threaded
|

R.D. Latimer
Thanks - I got #2 below to work.  I put all the turtle objects onto a playfield and use "tell all contents".
For #1, I guess I have to specifically call each turtle object reset, so if there are 10 turtles, I'll need 10 blocks, one for each turtle reset?
It'd be nice to somehow loop through a list of turtle objects, saying to each one 'reset'.
I tried this with the "Holder" - put turtle tiles for each turtle in the holder, then use "Holder send to all" or "Holder tell all contents" to reset.  THat didn't seem to have any affect. 1

In NetLogo, you write a procedure named 'reset', then use 'tell all' for something like
  tell all turtles [ reset ]   (I forget the exact syntax)

#3 locked up for my version.  Each turtle has a reset script. Each turtle is a sibling of the first turtle. When I use tell all siblings 'reset', the program locked up.  I may be doing something wrong on that.
Do I use turtle 1 to create all the siblings, turtle1 for sibling1, sibling 1 for sibling2, sibling2 for sibling3, etc.

Also, to set random pen color, I used an indirect way I found someone suggested online. I don't think I can assign pencolor a random color.  I made an object, assigned it random rgb amounts (1-100?), then assigned the pen color to be the color of that object.

Randy

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
So from what I can tell about what you are trying to do the best way may be to create "sibling copies" or your turtles.  This is done by either holding down the shift key when you click on the copy icon in the halo or from the menu in the halo there is an option to create siblings

That said there are a number of ways to reset things I can think of and hopefully this is not too much info:
  1. You can create a script that executes the resets for all objects you want to reset
  2. Use the scripting tile "tell all contents" (found in the scripting category for playfields) to execute all scripts named "reset" (or whatever name you choose). Note, this will only go "one level deep" in a playfield. This will work if all objects you want to reset are in the playfield (but will not work for any objects embedded in a playfield in that playfield)
  3. Use the scripting tile "tell all siblings" Siblings are really neat. When you change a script in one sibling all siblings get the same script changes. So in effect they share a common set of scripts and variables, but can have different values for each siblings copy of a variable and different script states as well.
  4. If you are using a Book, you can make a page (and the entire book "revertible. In the book's menu is an option "save this page for later revert" which allows you to set the page (or book) as "revertible"  Which will save the current state of the page.  Then from the Book's menu you can choose "revert this page" or "revert this book".  You can also use the menu item in a script, by getting the halo for that menu item (ie: "revert this page") and drag the "fire" tile into a script. 
Note: you can either create a button to reset the page (from a script editors menu, there is an option: "button to fire this script" or you can set a scripts status to "opening" which can be used to reset a page or a book when that page or book is opened.

Stephen

Etoys-

Thanks,
Randy Latimer

Reply | Threaded
|

R.D. Latimer
Also -
 Recursion works - (I think)
I made a drawsquare with 1 input for a counter,
If number < 4
  forward 100
  rt 100
  drawsquare (number + 1)    recursive call.

That's nice that recursion looks like it's supported.

When I make an input, using 'number' for example, can I change the name to 'counter'?  I think I have to use the default name provided by etoys - 'number'

Randy

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 6:42 AM, R.D. Latimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks - I got #2 below to work.  I put all the turtle objects onto a playfield and use "tell all contents".
For #1, I guess I have to specifically call each turtle object reset, so if there are 10 turtles, I'll need 10 blocks, one for each turtle reset?
It'd be nice to somehow loop through a list of turtle objects, saying to each one 'reset'.
I tried this with the "Holder" - put turtle tiles for each turtle in the holder, then use "Holder send to all" or "Holder tell all contents" to reset.  THat didn't seem to have any affect. 1

In NetLogo, you write a procedure named 'reset', then use 'tell all' for something like

#3 locked up for my version.  Each turtle has a reset script. Each turtle is a sibling of the first turtle. When I use tell all siblings 'reset', the program locked up.  I may be doing something wrong on that.
Do I use turtle 1 to create all the siblings, turtle1 for sibling1, sibling 1 for sibling2, sibling2 for sibling3, etc.

Also, to set random pen color, I used an indirect way I found someone suggested online. I don't think I can assign pencolor a random color.  I made an object, assigned it random rgb amounts (1-100?), then assigned the pen color to be the color of that object.

Randy

Stephen

Etoys-

Thanks,
Randy Latimer

Reply | Threaded
|

Karl Ramberg
In reply to this post by R.D. Latimer

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM, R.D. Latimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Siblings can be made from other siblings in no specific order.

Could you post the project that locks up so I can see if I find whats going wrong ?

Yes, this is the only way to set the pen color from scripts.

Karl

Randy

Stephen

Etoys-

Thanks,
Randy Latimer